HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Locking threads

by keyhoti2 / December 9, 2004 12:26 PM PST

I have always been something of a rebel (even now at 61, when a common belief is that a person gets set in his or her own ways).

I have never refrained from saying when I think that something is not fair, regardless of any "authority level", e.g. George Bush.

I am a newbie to Cnet forums, but I have never yet had a problem with an administrator locking a discussion/thread, whether on account of something I might have said, or some other person's post.

In short: this is a good place to be.

Mind you: this kind of comment might be better placed in "Speakeasy", except that the issue arises in other forums all the while ... and that Cnet admins are to be trusted.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Locking threads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Locking threads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Locking threads
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 6:12 PM PST
In reply to: Locking threads

I wonder if this post was made in response, directly or indirectly, to the locked thread started by gallant in this forum.

In that thread I was the first one to reply to his post, and I reacted strongly to a certain phrase he wrote.

As adults we face many "tests" in our lives, and how we react to those tests shape the way we are. Many experts will say that we are shaped by our childhood experiences and that is true of course. but it is as mature adults that we learn about ourselves, our strengths and weaknesses and our limitations. The true tests of maturity are many, and one of these is how we react to certain situations, and whether we "stand back", pause and consider what response to make, or whether we "dive in", regardless of what may be best in the particular circumstance.

In this case, I dived in. I responded to a situation without too much thought, whereas a measured response, taking into account the underlying reason for the original post, and the reason why CNET runs and maintains these forums, may have produced a better result.

When looking at the final result of the thread, which in all respects must be considered unsatisfactory because the original question and request for help remained unanswered, I failed to uphold the ethos of the CNET Community and I apologise.

CNET states, " CNET Networks is dedicated to developing and maintaining a friendly online community, where members of all ages and technical backgrounds feel relaxed and comfortable. Like any community, CNET Networks has certain standards. When members join our forums, they agree to abide by these rules. To remain a part of the CNET Networks community, members must be considerate to others. Repeated violations of these standards may result in a member being barred from entry or participation in community forums."

Whatever the original post was, a measured response would probably have resulted in a better and more satisfying end; but I fear that my initial reply "set the tone" for all other posts in that thread.

I will attempt to remember this, and be more thoughtful in future replies.

Mark Flaxman

Collapse -
Re: Locking threads
by vera kofler / December 9, 2004 6:28 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Locking threads

I truely think you answered in the correct way and the first post of gallant was agresive from the beggining, and you only tried to put a limit to that, dont really think you have to appologise even more, what I think is even if you wouldn't have answered to his post the results would have been the same. Only tells me you all are in the best intention to help people who ask for help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.