Computer Help forum

General discussion

Locking access possible?

by Ferrante101 / September 29, 2004 11:48 PM PDT

I live in a complex that has a computer room. Unfortunately, one or two people will delete icons so others (older people) won't be playing on the computers when they want to get on it. Is there a way or are there any programs that will lock access to removing icons or getting inside the computer? I maintain the computers and only want the residents to be able to access programs through the desktop icons or maybe through the Start-Programs mode? I know public libraries computers are like this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Locking access possible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Locking access possible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Locking access possible?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 12:02 AM PDT

You didn't tell what OS since with each version the fix, workaround or OS feature could differ.

For instance, in Windows 2000 and XP I could use CACLS or XCACLS to set the ownership and permissions of the shortcuts on the Desktop so they can't be deleted. That's pretty specific to 2000/XP (and 2003), but shows that the OS already provided the needed controls.

For the DOS windows, the workarounds are just that. Workarounds. You play games with startup scripts to recreate what you want.

Bob

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / September 30, 2004 12:07 AM PDT

Ferrante,

Use windows XP. Make a (password protected) user account for each registered user; give them as few capabilities as possible (no install, no config panel). Each will have his/her own desktop, history, favorites and documents.

Have a rule that people trying to sabotage other peoples accounts or introducing viruses and spyware will have their account removed, so can't access the computer anymore. It will be difficult to find who did something unwanted, but you'd better have clear rules than no rules.

And buy a program like Ghost or Driveimage so you can revert to an good working situation if things still happen. It helps if peoples desktop, history etc are on a second partition, so you can restore the 'system partition' c:\ ) without them losing their data.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
by Yew / September 30, 2004 12:10 AM PDT

The easiest way to do this, is also the most expensive, and that's to use a Domain server. I'm not entirely sure if Samba can take over this role or not, providing a cheap alternative with an old throw away Linux box.

The other option I can think of, is to set it up so that every time the systems are rebooted, the OS and all apps are reinstalled using some default image. So it doesn't matter how much people screw things up, the fix is as simple as a reboot. Naturally people would need to provide their own method of external storage in such a situation, but you could also maybe have a few "communal" floppies and CD-RWs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.