Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

LOCKING A FILE OR FOLDER

by KENNEY69 / August 11, 2005 1:14 AM PDT

I am running XP PRO. I want to lock a file at work that needs to be my eyes and the boss's only. How can I do this...like I remember you could password protect anything before...can u do that now? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LOCKING A FILE OR FOLDER
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LOCKING A FILE OR FOLDER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this file on a network?
by jdn_texas / August 11, 2005 1:25 AM PDT

If this file is located on a network drive, I highly recommend you talk to your administrator. They can set permissions for that file and only allow you and "the boss" to have access to this file. That is much easier than trying to remember a password.

If it is not on a network, (ie, floppy), "you" should be able to do the same thing. Just right click the file and goto properties. Then select security tab. You will be able to see who has permissions and who is the owner of the file. Make sure you backup the file before you play with these settings. One wrong click and you may lock the file to everybody.

That is why I highly recommended the administrator to do this if it is on a LAN drive. You mess up LAN folders and they will be an unhappy camper. Still, back it up before the adminsitrator plays with this also. Never know if they know what they are doing either.

Hope this helps....Good Luck

Collapse -
Review these.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2005 1:26 AM PDT

The simplest method is to use XP's NTFS 'PERMISSIONS' and 'OWNERSHIP'. The article at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=308421 is a good primer on how to take ownership but also shows you the dialogue boxes where you can place YOU and BOSS and the only owner's with permissions to read such. You can revoke other's RIGHTS.

Bob

Collapse -
THANKS
by KENNEY69 / August 11, 2005 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Review these.

The last messege helped out a lot. It is working to an extent. I would still much rather just be able to password protect it though. Thanks.

MATTHEW

Collapse -
It will be password protected.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2005 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: THANKS

Unless YOU and BOSS login without a password.

Bob

Collapse -
FIXED
by KENNEY69 / August 15, 2005 1:15 AM PDT

OK I DON'T KNOW IF ANYONE IS STILL SUBSCRIBE TO THIS POST BUT I FOUND OUT HOW TO PROTECT IT FROM MY WIFE NO LESS!! IN EXCEL OR WORD IF YOU CLICK ON TOOLS AND THEN OPTIONS AND THEN SECURITY, YOU CAN PASSWORD PROTECT EACH FILE. THANKS TO ALL!

MATTHEW

Collapse -
Just remember...
by John.Wilkinson / August 15, 2005 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: FIXED

The passwords in Microsoft programs are very easily broken when compared to other types of protection. There are dozens of programs available for less than $100 which can ''recover'' your password in the time it takes you to finish up a business meeting. Thus, if you rely solely on the built-in protection, make sure you use at least a nine-character alphaneumeric password (include uppercase and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols), and avoid simple things like words/phrases in the dictionary, birthdates, etc, as those are the first ones checked.

Then, if the information you are protecting is truly private, it's best to use an encryption program. Such utilities use a much better encryption algorythm, making it extremely difficult to crack your passwords. Personally, I prefer Cryptoforge, which has a 30-day free trial. However, for a free utility, try Cryptainer LE (only restriction is each ''container'' must be under 25MB) and TrueCrypt (no restrictions).

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. I'd also look into purchasing a new keyboard, as your Caps lock key seems to be stuck in the ''on'' position, making your post very hard to read.

Collapse -
Just remember?
by taboma. / August 15, 2005 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Just remember...

There are no known files that cannot be broken and read by the CIA and other Nations. No file is secure, ever. Go on your cell phone. Safe? Not!
Email inter-office? Not!
Just remember that. True fact.
My message to you will go out to anyone willing to track and read it right now.
Locked Forums? Not!

By the way, nice to see you in the Newbies Forum.
We do need help by the way.
PS: His keyboard may be cap-locked due to cracker crumbs or spilled coffee or Coca-Cola on the keyboard.
My brand-new white Apple keyboard looks as bad right now. Have to get out my Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner out right now. It's the only thing that works well for me!
That is the truth!!! :

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!