Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Locked out - options?

by TikkiRo / March 10, 2015 1:18 AM PDT

Hiya
I've a Samsung Galaxy S2 which has locked me out possibly after a Kies update. At least it was only after connecting to Kies on Friday last & doing an update it said was available that the problem started. When I put in my pin code it kept saying Try again as if it was wrong. After multiple attempts I started second guessing myself as to whether I was putting in the wrong numbers, but have used the code for the past 4 months quite happily & even after trying other possible ones I've still not managed to gain access.

I can thankfully access it through AIrDroid for sending/receiving messages, BUT can't make any changes such as uninstalling the security program without access to the phone itself, so not much use really.

I've contacted Samsung just to see if they've any possible solutions, but wanted to speed things up by asking the question here. I know nobody can give answers to bypass the login for security purposes but is it likely Samsung might be able to help if they can ascertain ownership etc or am I just wasting time & would be wiser to just reset it anyway? I've at least been able to pull off contact numbers and the most important messages just in case that's my only option.

Finally if the reset option is the only one - could someone possibly provide me an easy walkthrough?

Appreciate any input/help etc, as I'm disabled & don't like to not be able to use the phone properly, in case of illness etc.

TikkiRo has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Locked out - options?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Locked out - options?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by TikkiRo

Collapse -
Almost always a factory reset.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2015 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Locked out - options?

Samsung should have the steps at the ready. Since it can vary by phone, follow their instructions.

At least you don't lose the phone and know why we backup.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by TikkiRo / March 10, 2015 1:28 AM PDT

Thanks Bob
Yeh - I'm hopeful Kies has backed up too except I'm nervous it may leave me back where I started as I've no idea how it does its restores e.g. like a PC with all apps/settings or just the data e.g. messages. Since I can't currently gain access to Kies I can't check to see what I ticked. :(.

So basically you figure I'm safer waiting for Samsung to get back to me than take a chance with a "Google" reset Happy

Collapse -
So far
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2015 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

If a reset fails to bring it back to operation then it's something else like a failed phone. On some phones I have to setup the phone for data and SMS again but here I can't tell if that's required. The "phone" part usually just works.

As to data, most learn about backup the hard way. For me I treat my phone like a phone so a full reset loses nothing. My phone numbers are elsewhere and I don't keep photos on the phone.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!