Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Locked Out....

by thecandide / August 15, 2007 7:20 AM PDT

Unable to do Anything
The Admin account is no longer an Administrator

While setting up a computer for a lab, I have become completely unable to change anything requiring an administrator password. I loaded the computer on a domain called "students" and I am logged on using the local account I created when I first went through the setup process, named "Admin". The account I am using is listed a debugger user, and there are no other local accounts.

I am unable to change anything with the windows security logo next to it. When I type in the local account and password it gives me "The requested operation requires elevation" error. My network administrator receives the same message.

Device Manager:
"You do not have sufficient privileges to uninstall devices or change device properties or device drivers. Please contact your site administrator, or log out and log in again as administrator and try again."

Since it no longer recognizes the only local account I have as an administrator account there is no way for me to install or change anything.... Please help me regain the ability to change settings in the control panel.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Locked Out....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Locked Out....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If I remember right...
by JRGil / August 15, 2007 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Locked Out....

rebooting in safe mode by pressing F8 gives you administrative rights.

Collapse -
F8 Did not give administrator privledges
by thecandide / August 15, 2007 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: If I remember right...

Booted into safe mode, all the password restrictions still exist. I also tried felix8406's, from vistababble.com, suggestion to:

"Knowing which version of Vista you are running would help. Also, I see you posted this issue at MS TechNet. If you are running Business or Ultimate versions, try enabling the "administrator" account; Right-click Computer > Select Manage > Local Users and Groups > Users > Administrator > Untick "Account is disabled"

If running Home Premium: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right-click 'Command Prompt" > Select "Run as administrator" > Type: Net User Administrator /activate:yes. Now log off and log on as the administrator.

Note that if you are trying to install a program, you can right click it and select "run as administrator"."

I was unable to do this because of the same reason I can not access any other control panel, it requires an administrator level account.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.