General discussion

Local News location changes on my yahoo home page

OK I have my home page set as yahoo.com
I live in Texas. My ISP use to be SBCglobal, which changed to AT&T. But I was able to keep my email that ended in sbcglobal.net

So when I go to yahoo.com and log in with my sbcglobal.net email/user name, the local news on the FRONT page is for Oklahoma City which is a good 3 hours+ away from where I live. It use to show Dallas Texas as local news. Now when I actually click on the local news tab, it does show the correct location, just not showing on the "fronT/Home" page
What is interesting is that my wife also has a sbcglobal.net email/user account that was created the same day as mine. When she logs in, her local news on the front page is Dallas
I have tried to change it back, and it changes. But then if I delete the cookies, the local news ON THE FRONT PAGE reverts back to Oklahoma City. Shouldn't the default local news be dallas,Tx since that is where mt ISP is located?
Can anyone help me understand this?
Has my account been hacked? Nothing else strange about it other than the location of the local news shown on the front page

This happens no matter if I use my computer at home or my computer at work

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Local News location changes on my yahoo home page
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Local News location changes on my yahoo home page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Let me add

there is nothing else different about my homepage, yahoo.com. Just what shows on the front page as the "local" news. Nothing funky happening in my email or anywhere else

- Collapse -
also

in my settings I have my town listed as the default location and there is NO Location showing Oklahoma City

- Collapse -
The key to your complaint is ...

your own statement here - "But then if I delete the cookies, the local news ON THE FRONT PAGE reverts back to Oklahoma City. Shouldn't the default local news be dallas,Tx since that is where mt ISP is located?"

Cookies are what retain your page settings for your account.

Don't delete the cookies.

- Collapse -
Right

I understand about the cookie part, but my main issue is why would the local news displayed on the front page of yahoo.com show from Oklahoma City? Without out any cookies at all, shouldn't it show from where my ISP is ( Dallas)?

That is the part that is confusing. My wife who uses the same computer with same user account, when she logs on to her yahoo, her local news shows on the front page default as dallas. Even if the cookies are deleted.

- Collapse -
Why?

IP's might indicate location but since these are in short supply the location is always on the move. It could be wrong.

Yahoo could be trying to guess where you are and failed.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info