Question

local disk (D)

Idon't know how it happend but now when i open
local disk (D) it says this folder is empty.I'm running
a Hp Pavilion Pc. some things aren't working like the
Sys restore is not showing a lot of the restore points.
only 3 and one i set in the last week.
I tried to do a System Rrecovery but the PC can't read
the disc that came with the PC.
73year old needs help.
Heinz

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: local disk (D)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: local disk (D)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
More Information Needed

First, you've not told us the operating system you're using, or model of the computer, or the age of the computer. Is it a laptop or desktop? What type of "disc that came with the PC" are you referring to?

In your situation, it appears as though there may be serious damage to the computer.. Although HP generally creates the "D" partition as a Recovery partition, you haven't told us that's the case here.. It IS possible to delete all the data on the "D" partition which allows you to use it a extra space.. If that's been done, then you will be unable to use HP's standard recovery options and you'll only be able to use recovery DVD/CDs that you have created previously on the computer.. Have you done such? In some cases, HP included recovery DVD/CDs for use when the hard drive dies.. Do you such discs?

In the meantime, there's a slight change that all of this has been caused by malware and the D drive may still contain data.. As such, please try the steps below to remove any malware on the machine:

If you can download the tools listed below on the problem computer, great, but you may need to use a separate, clean computer, download the tools, copy them to a DIFFERENT flash drive or CD, then transfer them to the infected computer.

Once that's done, then restart the computer into "Safe Mode with Networking" and use the instructions below. If you can't start in Safe Mode, then run all the tools while in "normal" Windows first, then run them in Safe Mode afterward.:

After downloading or transferring it to the problem machine, run the
following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run.
(courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)There are 3 different
versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be
patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all
the background programs.Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as AdminYou only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and
SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which
you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem
machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill.Once
downloaded and before transferring Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware to
the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file
to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and
the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the
problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the
update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan
and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program
and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to
rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/SuperAntispyware

Manual Update
rhttp://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet,
then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings
again.Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet
Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a
check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click
OK. Then OK, again.

And finally, download and run the tool below to bring back any files that may have been hidden by the malware on the computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/unhide/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

- Collapse -
local disk (D

Hi Grif. Sorry i took so long to get back. disk D still says empty after trying your links.
I have the HP included recovery DVD/CDs but when I tried them i get (not compatible with my system )
I have windows 7, 64bit, ADM quad-core, 4GB memory and 500GB hard grive

- Collapse -
If the disks were the wrong ones. Time to go to hp.com

And try their chat button to arrange for the right ones.

All the current HP models allow you to create your own restore media so I'd try that too.
Bob

- Collapse -
Yep, Time To Contact HP

Usually, they will give you the correct recovery discs with little cost.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
local disk D

Hi again, I got to thinking last night (hard to do at 73) I had the PC in to Best Buy about a year
ago thay had to install a new mother board. just wondering? beause the discs are the ones
I got with the PC

- Collapse -
Yep, A Different Motherboard Will Cause Your Problem

Because the original recovery discs were linked/identified to the old motherboard, the new mobo will cause them to fail.. As such, creation of your own recovery discs is critical using the Windows 7 ability to create it's own "System Disc" and "System Repair" disc. (Control Panel-Backup and Restore) If you haven't created such discs, do so now if possible. (It would have been better if you had created them when the machine was functioning well..) If not possible, HP may still have an option available. Try contacting them. But be aware they may suggest purchasing a new/full Windows 7 installer disc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Yes. That's why the disks no longer are valid.

If Best Buy didn't supply the new discs, this is going to get ugly and expensive from this point on.

Bob

- Collapse -
local disk

ok thanks you'll, not the answer i was hoping for. So i'll have to work it out. maybe a new Pc
at tax time and my 5yer old grandson can have this one for games. Then i have to figure out
the best PC to buy? around $500. ( Thats hint on what one? )

Thanks again,
Heinz

- Collapse -
The best is a moving target. But I have a new gun.

CNET Forums