Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Local Bulletin Board creation help needed

We horse-Indns up here in the northern Plains NEED a local online bulletin board / contact center. We're in one of 3 known states in the U.S. that has no physical Indn Center anywhere in the state, and I'm not far from the state capitol, where there certainly ought to be one, given the population of our People up here.
An online center would help a lot. I haven't been able to get anyone from The People to pitch in and do whatever needs doing. Just the same, I'm tired of the status quo.
So while I don't know enough to design a site without a template and don't have the money to pay someone, still I figure there must be some free downloads that would enable this to happen..
I can pay for hosting on a local server, but first there has to be something to host. No email, just a place where people can post notes and maybe discuss them. Flaming being what it is, I expect I'd have to be able to monitor the site and bar flamers and/or lock down threads every so often - I just don't know how.
Surely there's software that enable ignorant, low-budget sorts like me.... Thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Local Bulletin Board creation help needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Local Bulletin Board creation help needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look into

In reply to: Local Bulletin Board creation help needed

* phpBB
* SMF

Those are two free bulletin boards you can download and install on hosts. Also, many hosts have options where they already have that available for you and you can install those with just a few clicks.

You may also consider a Content Management System like Joomla, Drupal or Typo 3 Lite... also free.

Another option would be blogs like Wordpress, Nucleus or b2evolution.

I would search on the difference between bulletin boards, content management systems and blogs to see which one offers what you need.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Look Into - Wopila Tanka

In reply to: Look into

Wopila tanka / huge thanks! We all appreciate your help (especially me, since I'm the 'point guy' on this project).

Collapse -
QuickTopic is best

In reply to: Local Bulletin Board creation help needed

Hello fro Manila/Philippines!

My advice is to use QuickTopic Bulletin Board or Forum...they are easy to set up and very user-friendly....PLUS IT'S FREE!

Go ahead and access: www.quicktopic.com....register....and go...go...go!
Cordial regards,
Francisco

Collapse -
Many thanks!

In reply to: QuickTopic is best

Many thanks for this information from your beautiful warm land! (It's summer here, so is warm right now, and I love it.) Your information is especially appreciated since I cannot get the phpBB site to accept my email address, so it won't let me register. Frustrating! I'll try this right away.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.