HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Local Area connection

by gulmhor / February 16, 2008 1:48 AM PST

Hi,
I am using broadband and it is working good but in a tray there is a one message Local area connection limited or no conectivity so what is the problem.even there is a repair opetion and I tried it but no changes.using xp-2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Local Area connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Local Area connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you getting good internet?
by pasomalo / February 16, 2008 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: Local Area connection

Can you browse to websites? If you can, you shouldn't be getting this. Can you do something real quick, go to Start > Run, then type "cmd" without the quotation marks. Then you'll get a black screen. In this black screen type "ipconfig", without the quotation marks. Tell me what it number is listed next to IP Address. It should be something ike 192.168.20.10, something like that.

Collapse -
net connection is working properly and surfing web
by gulmhor / February 18, 2008 2:32 PM PST

hi,thanx for ur reply,

my net connection is working properly and also i am able to surf any websites,but when i click on the repair opetion then the message come that WINDOWS COULD NOT FINISH REPAIRING THE PROBLEM BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING ACTION CAN'T BE COMPLETED:RENEWING YOUR IP ADDRESS FOR ASSISTANCE,CONTACT THE PERSON WHO MANAGE YOUR NETWORK.

so please guide me regarding this thanx from heart..

Collapse -
Tell us more about this broadband connectiom
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 5:26 PM PST

How is the computer connected to your ISP? Do you use a modem, router, wireless router?

What other connections do you have? If you open "My Network Places", (from the icon on the Desktop or from the Start menu), make sure you can view all your connections.

Do you have a connection that says, "Local Area Connection"? If so, what type is it? What else is listed there?

Mark

Collapse -
modem
by gulmhor / February 19, 2008 2:10 AM PST

yes sir i am using broadband so i have broadband modem and using only one pc and the other connection is dial up and and in my network places there are broadband,dial up, and the other category is lan or high speed internet in this category
1-1394 NET ADAPTER CONECTION
2-LOCAL AREA CONECTION-(WHICH IS OUR TOPIC)
3-LOCAL AREA CONECTION-3-disable-bluetooth pan network adapter

these types of connection are there in my network places..

thanx sir realy thank you so much..

Collapse -
Are you sure
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: modem

that this icon in the System tray, (near the clock), which is showing this 'limited connectivity' message is not the Local Area Connection -3 ?

If that Bluetooth is trying to connect that would explain the message.

What happens when you hover your mouse over that icon? What message do you get?

Mark

Collapse -
by gulmhor / February 19, 2008 3:46 PM PST
In reply to: Are you sure

hi,

no this message is not for bluetooth but for the broadband and also not for local area connection -3 it is for the broad band and ya it is near the time it tray sir,status-limited or no cinectivity it shows but i am surf everything wit hbroadband,but sir,when windows starts at that time it takes 3-4 minutes for loading error icon in tray sir,

thanx sir,guid me

Collapse -
The Modem.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 5:40 PM PST
In reply to: message

Hi again gulmhor.

As you have good broadband connection and you are able to surf the internet without problem, I am tempted to say that there is nothing to worry about.

The only problem you say you are having is at Startup when it takes 3 or 4 minutes. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that and perhaps you can explain a little more.

When you turn the computer on and Windows fully loads up, what happens with that network icon in the System Tray? Does it appear immediately, or does it not appear for 3 to 4 minutes?

If it appears immediately, does it then show limited connectivity for 3 to 4 minutes, and then show it is fully connected? Or does it always show limited connectivity even though you can surf the internet without properly?

What about the modem. When you shut down the computer each day, do you turn that modem off?

If so, at what stage during the next Startup procedure do you turn the modem back on? Have you tried turning the modem on before you turn on the computer?

You haven't given any details about your computer setup, (the request in red above each post window refers), so we know nothing about how old the computer is, what speed the processor is, how much RAM you have, or whether you are on a network. All of these can influence how quickly a computer starts up, and indeed 3 to 4 minutes is not especially slow as far as computer startup is concerned. For example I have a 3.0 GHz Pentium processor, 2GB of RAM, and I am not on a network, so my computer is quite powerful, but it still takes about 2 minutes to startup and load up fully.

One other thing. Do you have a firewall? If so, which one? I have not heard of firewalls that do this, but I suppose it could be the case that the firewall is preventing full connectivity until the firewall has finished all its checks, especially if the modem is not turned on until after the computer is fully started and loaded.

By the way. No need to call me sir. Mark will do. We are all equal here, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
by gulmhor / February 20, 2008 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: The Modem.

sir,
i am using windows xp 2.93 ghz,888 ram,and firewall is turn off and avg 7.5 i am using and pc is a compaq presario,

and sir i am never turn off my modem it is always on and yes my problem icon it is in a tray and during start up it takes 3-4 minutes right sir only it takes for a load and after its loading pc is great no problem

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.