Mac OS forum

General discussion

Loading OS9

by IvyJ / July 11, 2005 1:16 AM PDT

I have to reinstall my operating systems on my IMac. I currently have 8.6. I have the disk to update to 9.0.4 all the way to 9.2.2 (which is what I had before I had to reinstall everything). My problem is that when I get to the SELECT DESTINATION window my hard drive comes up but the SELECT button is grayed out so I can't select and load it. It says the available disk space is 17399MB and the required disk space for installation is 619MB. I have loaded it before so am I missing something?

System info:
IMac
Processor: Power PC G3
Speed: 233 MHz
Built in memory: 96 MB
I have virtual memory off

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Loading OS9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Loading OS9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Loading OS 9
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 11, 2005 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Loading OS9

Why are you back at 8.6 if you have had to reinstall the OS? If, as you say, you have the installation disk for OS 9.0.4 then that is the lowest OS you should be on right now. There is not a single disk, that I know of, that will take you from OS 9.0.4 to OS 9.2.2
Do you get an error message at all if you actually click on the disk icon?
On the first two installer screens, take a look at the "options". Clean install should allow you to install onto any disk, regardless of the current OS.
By the way, what happened that you had to reinstall the OS in the first place?
P

Collapse -
Loading OS9
by IvyJ / July 11, 2005 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Loading OS 9

We had an ice storm that wiped out all of my files on my computer. I had to do a clean install ( I think it started with 8.5). I have updates of 8.6, 9.0.4 to 9.2.2. I was able to update to 8.6 but it will not allow me to update any further. I purchased the update disk about 1.5 years ago and updated my computer to 9.2.2 until the ice storm. The computer is working fine - I just need to update to at least 9.0.4. I do not get any error message at all.

Collapse -
Clean Install
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 11, 2005 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Loading OS9

The 9.0.4 disk should be bootable.
Insert the CD and restart the machine holding down the "C" key.
That should allow you to do a clean install or to upgrade the 8.6 installation.
There should be no need to go back to the very beginning and reinstall every version of the OS that has ever been on that machine.
You might want to turn ON virtual memory as well. Go to the memory control panel and click on the Defaults button.

Keep us posted

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.