HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

loading dll's, vxd's and drv files

by searcher14 / January 27, 2008 12:37 PM PST

Hi everyone! problem: I had a major system crash that I'm still trying to recover from. As I expected, I have some files that the kernal doesn't recognize. They were working! I copied the dll's, vxd's and driver files, when it was working, to a CD. Now, my DVD and flash drive didn't reinstall when I ran all my setup programs. By backing up those files, I thought I'd be ready for a crash. There's just one little problem, I put the files back on the hard drive, but the kernal can't see them. So, how do I 'pull the coat-tail' of the kernal? Windows 98 SE and Mad Dog DVD. Do I need to write a script file or something? If so, where is a good spot to learn how? Hmm..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: loading dll's, vxd's and drv files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: loading dll's, vxd's and drv files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Generally, Such Files Are Part Of A Program Install
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 1:07 PM PST

...and as such, the program associated with those various drivers and dlls needs to be installed during which it will 'register' the files.. Have you run the driver installer programs? There are methods to manually register the files but I'm guessing you need more than simply registering the files with the OS.

How to register (or re-register) a DLL or OCX file

It would be nice to know how you "recovered" from your system crash? What kind of system crash?

DVDs and flash drives don't normally require a separate "install". They should simply be recognized by Windows when you start up the computer and Windows will install the drivers.. If separate drivers ARE required for W98 such as with a flash drive, then you should be doing it with a driver installer program not replacing individual files.. Or are you referring to software, (recording, burning, etc.)?

Hope this helps and let us know more..

Grif

Collapse -
loading dll's, vxd's and drv files 2
by searcher14 / January 28, 2008 12:59 PM PST

ahem! I manually loaded all my software back in: one at a time. The Mad Dog is a burner. Then I checked to see if all the programs (dll and so forth) came back (one at a time), they didn't. My DVD will now read CD's but will not burn or read DVD's. Flash drives that did work no longer do, so I went to my back up CD. I put them back into System and System32, where they were and nothing. I've restarted a number of times, nothing. I'm not on the same machine now! I use that machine only for research, so its hardly ever on line.

Collapse -
loading dll's, vxd's and drv files3
by searcher14 / January 30, 2008 2:13 AM PST

Have I really got you guys as stuck as I am? I don't believe it. Wow! Years ago, when I was working with my first 286 (almost new then), I had a major crash with a seagate drive. After that, I back up almost everything I can pull off of the C drive and never used seagates again. Oh yes, I did defrag this computer a few times too!

Collapse -
Back in DOS, Windows 3.1
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2008 2:16 AM PST

We didn't have the registry to deal with. As such you need to understand that while you may read that it was implemented for performance, etc. it was also to thwart what you are trying to do.

Bob

Collapse -
I did, I did! Dll's, etc.
by searcher14 / January 30, 2008 8:09 AM PST

I installed the software packages, as it came from the manufacturer. I let it load itself. After each, I restarted the machine. I tried to use the Mad Dog to play a movie. It said 'No disk in drive.' I tried another. samething! On the USB I plugged them in the port, it said something like, 'flash drive not installed.' I made a list of the files I could not find or the machine said was corrupted, it's four pages long! I even tried to reload the original files again. No change. Only then did I reach for my backups and put them in. Restarted the machine each time. No change. Are you shure you want the list? the main one for mad Dog is 'winspi.dll', it says its corrupted. I even downloaded new copies. Nuttin!

Collapse -
I've Got A Mad Dog Too... And Did You??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2008 6:24 AM PST

Just checking here... that DVD burner on my XP machines prefered to be set as "Master", especially if it's the only optical drive.. If not Master, then CS..

Checked the flash drive's website to see if there are W98 drivers for the flash drive? They're frequently required.

Next, if you've actually "manually loaded all my software back in" meaning you placed one file at a time on W98, then it's bound to fail. (It would be nice to know EXACTLY which programs you're having issues with?) As stated earlier, the entire program must be installed for the files to be placed and registered correctly..

On the other hand, if you mean you've installed the programs correctly and the various dlls weren't placed correctly, are you sure the programs are supported on W98? Either way, simply placing individual dlls in folders won't do it unless they're registered correctly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Dll's 'n' thingys
by searcher14 / January 30, 2008 8:58 AM PST

I think I answered this one, but it tagged my email again. yes, I put in my software like most of us do: Put the disk in, answer queries and restart the machine! Do you do it differently? Hey, I might learn something!

Collapse -
Doing It Differently...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2008 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: Dll's 'n' thingys

Point is.....Even you've attempted to install from a CD, manual copying/placement of the multiple corrupted files won't work... as you've already found out.. Clearly, the software you're using isn't installing correctly if there are that many corrupt files..

What tool have you used to find "4 pages" of corrupted files??.. Clearly, something's wrong with your W98 installation.

By the way, I've found no "winspi.dll" file on any of these machines but...I've no longer got a Win98 computer to check..

As mentioned before, to use your flash drive, you'll need to get special drivers from the drive's manufacturer.

You might consider, Fdisking and formatting the drive and reinstalling everything from scratch.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Dll's, VXD's and drv's
by searcher14 / February 5, 2008 3:44 PM PST

I really thingk you guys are trying to help, but I think I've told you everything, but something's getting lost in translation. I went production software first, Contacted the companies second and used my backups last. The setup (Compaq 7594) software went in first (FE) on top, as before, Win98 (SE) Duplicate on the bottom. Original (Win 98 SE) was stolen along with Partition Magic, some other software and brand new heavy duty tools. Argh! Anyway, whatever programs that were suppose to run and load These @%*& didn't do right. I used originals and copies (O.E.) software. Copies first. I was told to use copies to keep the originals pristine. When the copies did not work, I started over. Then I did what I typed above. That's what I did when I first bought the machine and it worked for 9 years! What do I have to do to get passed Bill Gates?? I'm really falling behind now on a number of things (2 months).

Collapse -
Excuse this interruption.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2008 9:40 PM PST

Sorry, I've read this discussion up to this date and am missing some KEY points of information. I do read you had some major crash but can't tell how it was repaired. Let's share a few things I've learned.

1. The owner gets the machine fixed and it now has the now standard 1GB RAM. Windows 95,98,ME has severe issues with most machines over 512MB. I don't see machine details (or missed it) so there may be a cause for all this woe.

2. The age of the old parts if there are any came be a factor. I've had many that say "it worked fine for years." These things have finite lifespans. The trick is to get the failing parts out without the owner getting in there and stopping the removal of the bad part.

Bob.

PS. Small world. I'm gifting an old Windows 98se laptop to a family member (some disaster in their part of the world) and it's amazing what gyrations I had to do to get it all functional again. Blast from the past!

Collapse -
Dll's, VXD's and drv's onward
by searcher14 / February 6, 2008 1:31 AM PST

I'm sorry, I didn't follow the thread of logic to well on the last reply, but I'm going to jump in anyway. I (using the computer) tested all the hardware, except the USB flashes (they work fine on all my other computers)and the hardware is working. Like I said, something is getting lost in translation. It's the software that's at the core of the problem. Using standard installation procedures the computer refused to work. upon further (a lot of steps omitted here)investigation and test, the software reported 'file corrupted' on many, many files. I have a copy of the programs (dll's, vxd's and drv) when they were all working, but they will not install so they are identified by the kernel as being installed. The corrected files are in the computer, now. There IS a way around this Bill Gates block. What I'm asking is how: script file or something. Can you help, yes or no?

Collapse -
No. I can't help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2008 1:47 AM PST

The details are not in a readable post or just missing. I noted an issue I came across and went searching for the details in your post but didn't find them.

Sorry but without the clues it's DOA. As to dropping files into place, we are talking simple to do so I decline to document use of DOS. Nothing stops me from replacing a file there. It's been 10 years so any DOS Windows 98 owner will know by now how to copy a file. If they don't then the lessons begin.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.