Samsung forum

General discussion

LNxxA750 Firmware Update 3 Questions

by Katch-22 / January 1, 2009 8:36 AM PST

Having read some posts here and also on Samsung.com I?ve decided to update the firmware on our LN40A750.(This LCD TV has a build date of June 2007) One of my first thoughts was ?Is there a way to save the current firmware??. If not, then maybe I should not do the update?but, what the heck?
I downloaded the new firmware, copied and unzipped it (14 files) to a thumb drive. I then, following the instructions, plugged the thumb drive into the TV and started the update, but when the message came up ?Upgrade version 999999 to version 1012.2?? I stopped. Obviously the Version 999999 is incorrect, or is it? Should I have disregarded the ?999999? message and gone ahead with the update or not????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LNxxA750 Firmware Update 3 Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LNxxA750 Firmware Update 3 Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
FW
by lifeisfuneh / January 1, 2009 10:02 AM PST

My TV shows 999999 as well, this is normal for TV that wasn't updated before. Go to SW update and press info key on you remote to get current FW version ( bottom of the screen)

Collapse -
LNxx40A750 Firmware Update 3 Questions
by Katch-22 / January 1, 2009 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: FW

Thanks for your response life...
Mistake #1 in my post...build date is June, 2008, not 2007.
I know the 999999 is incorrect. The firmware is revision 1007.0. The problem is trying to follow the update procedure by the letter of the instructions. The firmware on the TV should an earlier version of the update.
I need to know for sure if it is OK to ignore 999999 and go ahead and do the update without seeing the current revision level of the firmware displayed.

Collapse -
Could Samsung_HD_Tech help out here?
by Katch-22 / January 3, 2009 10:25 AM PST

LNxxA750 Firmware Update 3 Questions
by Katch-22 - 1/1/09 4:36 PM

Having read some posts here and also on Samsung.com I?ve decided to update the firmware on our LN40A750.(This LCD TV has a build date of June 2007) One of my first thoughts was ?Is there a way to save the current firmware??. If not, then maybe I should not do the update?but, what the heck?
I downloaded the new firmware, copied and unzipped it (14 files) to a thumb drive. I then, following the instructions, plugged the thumb drive into the TV and started the update, but when the message came up ?Upgrade version 999999 to version 1012.2?? I stopped. Obviously the Version 999999 is incorrect, or is it? Should I have disregarded the ?999999? message and gone ahead with the update or not????

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 4, 2009 12:32 PM PST

Katch-22,

I apologize for the delay of a response. I've been backed up with the holidays and am desperately trying to catch up.

I would say, for the time being, do not update the television until I can get some clarification for what that means tomorrow when our product managers can review this.

Do you have a U.S. set, and get the firmware from the U.S. website?

I might suggest formatting the thumbdrive, reinstalling the software and see if you get the same message. In the meantime, I've sent this information up for review and should be receiving an answer shortly.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Isn't that normal? Confirmation from Samsung would be useful
by Alan-Toronto / January 8, 2009 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: 99999

I've read in other forums that such a display seems to be normal for a TV that has never had a previous firmware update.

It would be good to hear confirmation from Samsung on this.

Collapse -
by Katch-22 / February 19, 2009 11:31 PM PST

I apologize for this late response to your ?late response? (which was really not late imho). I?m just now seeing your answer to my question. I did a format and reloaded and unzipped T-RBTAUSC.exe to the thumb drive as you suggested. Went to the TV and followed procedures and still came up with the Version 99999 message. As Alan-Toronto says ?It would be good to hear confirmation from Samsung on this.?. I agree. So HD, what do you think?

Collapse -
What I think...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 23, 2009 5:39 AM PST

Katch-22,

I've actually forwarded this to our product manager to get his take on this. I don't have a response as of yet, but it's curious. It doesn't seem to be causing any damage, but I'd like to get an answer on this.

Just so we're on the same page - these are U.S. models = US Firmware update and Canadian models = Canadian FW, correct?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Katch-22 / February 23, 2009 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: What I think...

Thanks HD for your response. Yes, this LN40A750 is a U.S. model and U.S. firmware.
Responses from lifeisfuneh and Alan-Toronto on this thread indicate they have seen or heard or read of this 99999 firmware message and do not indicate that it will be a problem with updating. My TV works great but I want to insure I don?t run into the power on/off problem that some have reported and I also believe that the TV should have the latest firmware. If I don?t hear from you by early next week I will go ahead and do the update and let you guys know how it went?imagine the possibilities?
Thanks again?Katch-22

Collapse -
Don't foresee a problem either...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 24, 2009 5:52 AM PST

Katch-22,

I don't foresee a problem either. The firmware will essentially replace the system in place now, so ideally, it should just upgrade to the new version with the new version firmware version in place.

You are correct, this will prevent the TV from turning off and on. It whould also address the flickering picture when connected through the component source, address a subwoofer balance error and address the Energy Saving Auto setting error.

Imagine indeed. Happy

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Katch-22 / March 2, 2009 10:26 AM PST

Firmware update went as advertised. New version shows 1012.2.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.