Samsung forum

General discussion

LNT4665f on & off cycling

by tco211 / July 1, 2009 3:19 AM PDT

TV is 2 1/2 years old. Started out with one on cycle, then two cycles, now three cycles to start. Is it a option to rebuild the power supply capaciators to fix this issue? I also think Samsung should have addressed this problem long before now.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LNT4665f on & off cycling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LNT4665f on & off cycling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / July 1, 2009 7:21 AM PDT

tco211,

I'm sorry you are having issues with your TV. Although I do not have a fix for you, I implore you to contact 800-SAMSUNG for service so they can help you alleviate you issue.

-CE_Tech

Collapse -
by tco211 / July 1, 2009 10:52 PM PDT

I have learned several things since I started reading this forum.
1.Samsung has problems with power supplies that they won't admit to.
2.Samsung TV may have the best picture, but that is useless since tv fails rather quickly on a expensive product.
3.You should not have to buy a extended warranty but you better.
4.Have not seen samsung techs give anybody a honest, straight answer on any of the issues other than call 1-800-samsung.
5.Buying a samsung tv is worse than going to vegas. (Have never been to vegas and won't buy samsung tv again)
6.SAMSUNG SUCKS

Collapse -
by tco211 / August 1, 2009 10:46 PM PDT

Been told to contact Samsung for issues. What's the point? They never return calls as promised. Called 7-17-09 and haven't heard a thing back from Samsung.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 4, 2009 2:37 PM PDT

tco211,

What's your service ticket number? I'll see if I can assist in getting you some assistance.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Followed up with 1800samsung and got no where...
by berginj / June 7, 2010 11:35 AM PDT

Has anyone had any luck with the actual samsung support line? I called in and all they could offer was "Unplug the tv and plug it back in."

When I mentioned this issue was not unique to my system they were pretty positive that I was imagining this thread and many others like it. Calling their ECR tomorrow to see if I can get some answers. Two years on a TV is just not kosher when it is a manufacturing issue.

Collapse -
Clearly a product defect
by johntechman / August 24, 2009 7:44 AM PDT

After a couple hours of browsing, it is clear you are experiencing the same design defect as many of us with Samsung LCDs. Rather than playing dumb, Samsung should be announcing a product recall for all affected models and providing free repairs. They are clearly well aware of the problem and refusing to do the right thing. I will be providing substantial documentation of this issue and their non-response to my state AG, and encourage all others to do the same.

Collapse -
don't waste your time calling samsung help
by jbtriplets / September 12, 2010 12:01 AM PDT

I documented over 40 hours on the phone with customer service, managers, escalated managers, etc. Bottom line, they agreed to replace my tv for $500, then never sent the replacement tv. I called everyday for the entire football season...they would always say it was a warehouse issue or a backorder issue. Finally, they decided that they would need to back out from their offer and said they would fix it for $150...back to the repair shop with the TV...which was fixed for 3 months, then the same problem happened all over again. This time they would only take my name and say that a supervisor had to call me back...never got the call. Samsung, is horrible to deal with, and won't take care of customers...lies and wastes your time...adding injury to insult. They are fully aware of the manufacturing defect but would rather live by the mantra "there's a sucker born every minute"

Collapse -
You're not alone- don't let these threads die
by rarchacki / September 12, 2010 5:44 AM PDT

File a complaint with all three listed below, we the screwed over have to unite our complaints and bury Samsung for this until they act in a responsible way. We shouldn't have to call two, three, four times for them to do the right thing.

Every time someone shopping for a Samsung TV uses an internet search we want them to see a screen full of dissatisfied owners. Companies like Samsung only react when it hits them in the pocket and cost them more money for their arrogance than doing the right thing.
Be sure to go sites like amazon, consumer reports and file a negative review for the product.

- info@consumeraffairs.com

Since Samsung US is Headquartered in NJ you can file a complaint regardless of your resident state.

- the Better Business Bureau of New Jersey: www.newjersey.bbb.org

- the New Jersey State Attorney Generals Office: the State Office of Consumer Protection at (973) 504-6200.

File your complaint under:
Samsung Electronics America, Samsung Electronics America, Inc
105 Challenger Road
Ridgefield Park, NJ 07660-2113
Phone: (201) 229-4000

Collapse -
Thanks
by jbtriplets / September 24, 2010 10:34 PM PDT

I've submitted per your recommendation below and hope this will at least lead to other folks steering clear of the trouble I have experienced with Samsung!

Collapse -
LOSES VIDEO
by mauricemp3 / August 24, 2009 3:29 AM PDT

Have replaced main board and power board. Picture still goes out for as long as 2 hours. Am replacing with a Sony. Will never buy Samsung anything again. Incidentally, they refuse to acknowledge that this problem exists on the 4665 and 4461 sets. My complaint # to Samsung is 3000503803. BYE BYE Samsung. I will be sending copies of this to NY & NJ AG's ofices dept of consumer affairs.

Collapse -
LNT4665F power on/off cycling plus...
by suzer_1 / September 1, 2009 2:16 AM PDT

I have same problem. Plus sometimes the picture will have a red/blue grid overlay on picture. This grid disappears if i turn tv off then on again. What part should I replace? and is it difficult?
Thanks

Collapse -
LNT4665F power on/off cycling plus
by tco211 / September 1, 2009 4:14 AM PDT

I had a TV guy replace the capicators on the power supply board for $150. So far it's doing OK. You are right that Samsung should fix this problem. I'm waiting for this to soon be coming a class action lawsuit against Samsung. IT HAS TO HAPPEN! I don't have the resources. Samsung is at fault for a POS TV and needs to step up. Mr. Samsung wanted a order # but I will not pay anything for them to come out since this is now a two year old tv that should have not failed. They never called me back. It actually failed @ 18 months.
Again SAMSUNG SUCKS FOR BEING A AH ABOUT THIS and will not buy their product again.

PS Mr. Samsung you need to get your head out of the sand if your are going to support this product. You can read the forums and can see the problems with these TV's. None of us should have problems with a 18-24 month TV @ a $2000.00 purchase price.

Clayton

Collapse -
cycling
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 4, 2009 11:59 AM PDT

Forum members,

Please be aware that due to the complaints on this issue, we have been granted the ability to explore this issue.

Would you please take a moment to view this thread? I encourage your participation, as this program has been something I have been working on for quite a bit of time.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?threadID=357687&tag=forums06;forum-threads

I never left the issue, but organizing this sort of thing is a tremendous task. I do hope you'll participate in this program.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LNT4665 on & off cycling
by tco211 / September 11, 2009 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: cycling
Collapse -
Cycle on and off post
by Stellite1 / September 19, 2009 10:18 AM PDT

Forget about sending info to them like they mention in the post they never reply. I sent 2 messages with no replys at all after 3 weeeks.

But I did go down to Radio shack and purchased 3 1000uF 35V capacitors $5.76 for all three number 272-1032 and replaced them on the power supply. Actually prettry simple, took me about 2 hours. You could see the capacitors blown with the X on top of them pushed up and not flat like the others. Works great now. Remember the screws on the bottom if you have the base hold the base on. These will have to be removed to take the cover off. I have pictures if anyone wants any that are about to tackle this and not feel sure about it. But really finding my solderng iron was the toughest part of this job. Good LUCK!!!! This will be the last Samsung I I ever get, Sony from now on.

Collapse -
Great info
by contactjj / September 23, 2009 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Cycle on and off post

Stellite, I have the same problem with my LN-T4661F. Would you kindly forward me more details. I have not opened the TV yet so some photos could help me to locate the board and those capacitors. Also any tips will be really appreciated. My email address is iamagolfgirl@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Collapse -
Photos and more
by johntechman / September 23, 2009 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Great info

Jumping in, I have a 4061, not 4661, but could send you a couple photos. But you should check out this thread if you haven't seen it, the first page contains some good photos and information and the whole thread has a ton of information. While my model's board differed slightly from this, the general layout is the same, and this was plenty to let me find my way around mine and locate the 3 capacitors I ended up replacing, with success I'm glad to say. (My first board soldering adventure.)

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62360&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Collapse -
photos
by gsiofy / March 22, 2010 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Great info

thanks for your input regarding samsung issue , I have the same TV 4665 , I have the same problem about cycling on and off , I would trully appreciate if you can send pictures and guide to change these capicators

Collapse -
Cycle on and off post
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 23, 2009 9:10 PM PDT

Stellite1,

I take it you'd like to be removed?

We're not responding until we have enough people to service, which is 50.

I'm sorry to hear we lost your business. I'm doing what I can to make things right for those who are still affected.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung LN 4665F Cycling on/off & dots
by opost / November 22, 2009 2:45 AM PST

I too am having the same issue with Samsung cycling on/off and dots - please count me in with any actions necessary to fix. 2 Yr old set should not have these problems - Samsung needs to step up and address. Thanks.

Collapse -
SAME problem! LNT4661FX Samsung 46' LCD
by acy76 / February 9, 2010 11:37 PM PST

I bought this TV 9/16/07 from Best Buy for $2,249.99! I noticed pink and purple "dots" about a year ago. I called and they laughed at me. I figured I was stuck with the problem. I joined a FB group called "Samsung White dot" but it was for DLP TV's Samsung is fixing all of their problems! Taking responsibilty for it all! Well my TV also has the clicking when it turns on (which takes about 5 minutes) The dots go away after you turn the tv on and off. Please count me in for any action! I called the ERC complaint line. The rep told me they had no problems associated with this particular model!

Collapse -
Cycle on and off
by russopro / November 22, 2009 4:38 AM PST

I also purchased a Samsung LNT4665F for an expensive price of $2000.00 and my tv is now cycling on and off and sometimes has pink or purple grid of dots on the screen at start up. I called Samsung regarding this issue and they want $80.25 just to send a tech over. I think this is rediculous and it sounds like alot of people are having the same issue that I am. I would really like Samsung to do something about this issue and stand behind their product by making it right and fixing it. I have a complaint number of 3000557709. Samsung let me know if you are willing to fix this T.V.?

Collapse -
Purple Dots on LNT5265FX
by mikeydog67 / November 26, 2009 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Cycle on and off

I bought my Samsung LCD LNT5265FX from Best Buy in June 2007 for over $3000. I started seeing purple dots on the display on November 17 2009. Then it was purple dots and green vertical lines. Now the tv takes longer and longer to power up and makes a bunch of clicking noises until the picture comes on. Of course it is long out of warranty, but still only 2.5 years old. The dots go away by turning the tv off and then on again. Samsung tech support claims they have no alerts or bulletins or history of this problem on their LCDs. I told them I'm seeing these complaints all over the internet and Samsung still denies the problem to me. The local service center in Autin, TX also claims they have not heard of this problem before I submitted the service call. He said it would be $65 just to come to the house and look at the tv. I originally told him I could not predict when the problem would happen, but now it is getting worse.

Has anyone gotten Samsung to admit there is a problem and do anything about it? If not, may be we should organize a class action law suit to force their hand. I am not a lawyer. Does anyone know how to get that process going?

Please update this thread with any progress with Samsung and repairs.
Thank you.

Collapse -
Cycling on/off....now won't cycle on at all
by UDBGuru / December 2, 2009 9:33 AM PST

I'm a victim as well. Purchased from Amazon, June 2007. I have no desire to open the case of a $2700 purchase and perform repairs. Let me know when the class action kicks in.

Collapse -
50 posts needed ?
by samsung4665f / January 26, 2010 10:16 AM PST

Surely by now there have been more than 50 posts on this issue and Samsung will visit this issue and do right by the consumers who bought the lnt4665f with the failing power supply issues. I saw an entry by a Samsung employee who said once 50 posts were accomplished it would look at the issue. Well the ball is in your court! Will you assist us ?

Collapse -
lnt4665f power supply issues
by samsung4665f / January 26, 2010 10:25 AM PST

Cycle on and off post
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff - 9/24/09 4:10 AM In reply to: Cycle on and off post by Stellite1

Stellite1,

I take it you'd like to be removed?

We're not responding until we have enough people to service, which is 50.

I'm sorry to hear we lost your business. I'm doing what I can to make things right for those who are still affected.

--HDTech
Samsung

imagine the possibilities

- Click here to visit the Samsung forum
- Click here to visit the Samsung store on CNET

Are we going to get some help with this issue ?

Collapse -
I would like the photos
by toddle1965 / October 8, 2009 5:45 AM PDT

thanks for the info, I am having the same problem and would like the photo's you have as I am going to do the same as you to fix this issue. my email is tebuckner43 at aol dot com. Thanks. Todd

Collapse -
LNT4665F rework photos
by sage80915 / October 27, 2009 5:38 AM PDT

Thank you kindly!

Please send me the photos to help me fix the problem Samsung created by #1 their lack of reliability testing, and even further compounded by #2 not giving a *%$! about #1. My e-mail address is scotgossage@comcast.net

NEVER buying Samsung again.

Collapse -
Cycling on an off
by russopro / November 22, 2009 5:49 AM PST

Could I Please get the pictures you have? I am going to tackle this task and any help would be greatly appreciated. My email is russopro3269@verizon.net. Thank you.

Collapse -
LNT4665 on & off cycling by tco211
by gsyukon1 / August 27, 2012 7:33 AM PDT

I am having the same problem. Could you send me pictures. I will replace the capacitors myself.

Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!