Samsung forum

General discussion

LNT4061FX/XAA: Clicking on/off, cant switch input, rainbows

by girlofwords / December 1, 2009 11:59 AM PST

Hello, there.

My Samsung 40-inch LCD is about two years old and last week began the clicking, delayed turn-on, all of that I've read about here. However, when it finally does come on, it displays rainbow vertical stripes and I cannot change the input either manually or via remote. I had Comcast here today (their tech on the phone said their cable boxes had been taking over TVs via HDMI cable) and he showed me the box works on my other TV, but my Samsung is helpless.

I'm sure part of it's the power supply issue I've read about, but I've not seen anybody talk about the rainbow stripes or the inability to change its input source. I know I'm out of warranty, so I'm going to end up paying this out of pocket. I've put in a service request through Samsung, too.

Does anybody else have a problem similar to this? A hard reset failed to do anything about the rainbow stripes.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LNT4061FX/XAA: Clicking on/off, cant switch input, rainbows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LNT4061FX/XAA: Clicking on/off, cant switch input, rainbows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SAmsung tv
by Alamjan78 / December 13, 2009 12:09 PM PST

I hv same problem. Plz let us know if u had same issue and how did it got fix. I read on net that we may need to change power supply because mother board is not getting enogh power fro power sipply.

Collapse -
I had the same problem & fixed it
by Dave Tech / January 8, 2010 11:58 PM PST

This should ONLY be done by a QUALIFIED electrician because you need to remove the back cover(lots of screws) and you will be exposed to High Voltage's if you plug the TV in with the back cover removed!!

I found the relay that is clicking as the TV cycles on/off. My electronics background(30 years) made me decide the relay was having a contact problem while it was trying to close when the TV was powering on. I knocked on the relay with by finger and the TV turned on properly. I unplugged & replugged the computer 5 times & the TV powered on properly every time. My conclusion is the relay contacts were the problem. If the problem returns I will consider changing the relay.

Collapse -
Same thing happened
by mike11123 / May 9, 2010 11:48 AM PDT

I bought mine 8/2007. This is ridiculous. Its less than 3 years old. My last TV is going on 10 years and still works, it's just got a smaller screen. This is completely ridiculous.

Collapse -
Call Samsung
by hwehling / October 5, 2010 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Same thing happened

I just called about the same problem and they are sending out a repair person at no cost to me. It's covered!

Collapse -
Power Supply
by KingLogan / July 11, 2010 2:41 AM PDT

I had the same problem with this same model. Sadly, it seems to be a common issue after about 2 - 3 years of use. I called Samsung & they gave me the name of a guy in my area. He came to my house & fixed it for $150. I watched him fix it and asked questions while he did it. It's your power supply. You need 2 new capacitors. They are blue round tubes. You'll know which ones they are because the tops will be buldging out & not flat like all the other capacitors on the board. He didn't feel like soldering new capacitors on my board so he just installed a whole new board & took mine in trade. It took him less than 15 minutes.

I am definately not a "QUALIFIED" electronics guy or have any soldering skills. However, I can tell you that after watching this guy anyone could have done this if they just want to switch out the whole board. All you need is a blanket and a long handle screw driver and a new board. Lay a blanket on the floor, UNPLUG THE TV and CAREFULLY lay it on the blanket face down. Unscrew the back, pry off the plastic and disconnect/unplug the computer board in the center. (No tools needed to unplug the board. It's the only thing in the middle & really obvious to see and unplug!)

Pay attention to how you unconnect it so you can plug it back up easily. Although, it seemed like each connection could only go into it's assigned slot. (i.e. - Tab A to Slot A)

Put the new board in that spot, plug the wires back in (it's like only 4 plugs) Put the back on and screw it in. You can turn it on & everything should be ok, but the next step is important!

FINAL STEP - After verifing that it works again. Leave it UNPLUGGED for at least 4 hours. (Unplug it from the wall - not just turned off) I recommend doing this overnight or up to 24 hours. The internal computer needs to reset itself. If you start using it again right after the repair the screen will go black after a few minutes of continuous use until you allow the computer to reset.

Again, I'm not a "qualified" electrician and you should make sure to take all saftey meaures (Don't leave it plugged in while you fix it!!)

However, if you don't feel you can do this call Samsung (1-800-SAMSUNG) and they will give you the phone number of a qualifed guy near you. The capacitors only cost about $20, if they just solder new ones on the board. The rest of the bill is just their boated labor cost for a 20 minute fix. (Get a quote up front on labor cost for this easy fix. Use this information to sound like you know your stuff, so they don't try & overcharge you on labor) Do not pay more than $200 for this if they come & do an in-home repair.

If you want to just order a new power supply board & do it yourself the EZ way I wrote about, the board will cost about $100. Just google the model # and you'll find part stores all over the net.

Collapse -
thank you!
by maliky_40422 / January 6, 2012 10:09 AM PST
In reply to: Power Supply

Thank you so much!!! I have a this tv given to me today. the owner did not want it beause of the power/ rainbow issue. after picking it up i came home and found this forum. i called the 800-samsung #, gave them model#, sn#, my name and address and sure enough they are sending someone out for free! Not bad for free 40 inch tv! I hope you all get yours fixed for free as well!

Collapse -

Before i came to this site, i went to which there i found samsung parts and i looked for the a new power cord to see if maybe this was the problem and i found that the power cord that came with this tv was now a new cord and that the previous one was discontinued ??? hmmmm?? i don't trust much.

samsung is sending a repairman to my house wed. to fix the capacitators on my tv cause tv has been making clicking on and off sounds till it finally turned on but 2 days later it won't turn on at all. If it is not the capacitators i have to pay $89.00 for repair and visit. i find this a rip-off by samsung and i advise everyone to tell people not to buy them cause unfortunately,... we learned too late....

If it is the capacitators you don't have to pay them to fix this problem. It is a 40 inch LNT4061-FX/XAA well, i see a lot of people with this clicking on/off problem and i hope everyone calls samsung and they will get your zip code and give you an appt for repair. I will post again on wed, after they come to see what happens here.. 800-samsung .
good luck everyone... .

Collapse -
Beware the plague.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: SAMSUNG PARTS

If you google BAD CAPS you find millions of dead Dells and then find out that very few makers escaped this plague. The economic damage continues today with not a peep from any government consumer protection agency.

Go figure.

Collapse -
Capacitor issue may also cause funny picture
by misc1997 / August 8, 2011 8:17 AM PDT

I have the same model TV and I was having trouble with it taking forever to turn on, turning on with sound but no picture, and sometimes with rainbow blocks throughout the picture. This weekend (08.06.2011) my TV wouldn't turn on at all, it just clicked on and off. I was lazy and emailed customer support and the response I got was 'there's no known capacitor issue'. However, I just called Samsung (1.800.Samsung) and it turns out that my TV was of the right Model and Serial number combination to receive a free one-time replacement of the capacitors. A local repair shop will be contacting me.

My TV was out of warranty. However, I think it's the 2008 models that have this as a known issue. Call Samsung!

Collapse -
It's a simple and easy repair
by law22inoc / November 18, 2011 2:25 AM PST

I've fixed three friends Samsung's all 40". The problem is Samsung used low grade capacitors in their Tv's and there not willing to support the fixes for the lack of keeping quality #1. Theres a total of three capacitors that should be replaced on the power board. You'll know which ones just by viewing the tops and seeing lumps on the tops of them. paying 150$ for the repair is just getting ripped. time for total service is around 20-30 minutes. all you need is a de-soldier iron and a soldier iron and soldier. very simple procedure, plus your actually educating yourself with electronics. Just you tube your tv model with capacitor and view the tutorials. If you have an extra 150 to dwindle then just waste your money. The bad thing about technology is people rely to much on social media, instead of all around intelligence

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?