HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

LN52B630 Media play thumbnails...

by beerthax / July 29, 2009 7:12 PM PDT

First of all, kudos for making the only TV (that I'm aware of) that can play .mkvs, .vobs, etc. I'm really fond of the media play ability.

That said, I was wondering if you could explain why my tv wont produce thumbnails for the videos anymore. Not a big deal, but really useful for my kid who can't read yet- seeing a picture of what he wants to watch is very useful. Is there a limitation to the amount of thumbnails the TV can produce?

Also, why can't we change the video settings in "Media play" like we can for any other mode?

Finally, how about a firmware upgrade to allow the selection of audio tracks and/or subtitle tracks embedded within .MKV or .AVI containers?

Thanks for your attention.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN52B630 Media play thumbnails...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN52B630 Media play thumbnails...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LN52B630 Media play thumbnails...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 30, 2009 4:43 AM PDT

beerthax,

Most of the thumbnails are dependent on what part of the movie is being used for the still capture. If it's using the first few seconds of the video, it may still be a black screen. I'd be interested to know how many movies you had (estimated) when the thumbnails seemed to work, and how many are detected as they don't.

What settings are you looking to change for Media Play?

There is support for subtitle tracks, and that list is on page 51 of the manual. For convenience, I've added a link to that page here. On the top list the subtitle formats that are accepted.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/630codecs.jpg

Audio tracks will work as well, but they do have to fit into one of the compatible audio formats, also listed in that chart.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Media play settings/ thumbnails
by beerthax / July 30, 2009 12:32 PM PDT

Thanks for your quick response.
Sorry for not being more detailed. I have a 500gb and 250 gb Hdd connected via usb totaling approx 200 movies. I havent watched all of them so I wouldn't expect a thumbnail to be generated for every video but just the ones I've watched. You can tell a thumbnail hasnt been generated because the "Movie Reel" icon is pictured. I know that when the "info/search bar" dissapears (when starting a new video) the tv captures the screen and develops a thumbnail. I began to notice the TV was not making anymore thumbnails 2 weeks ago. I have everything from .mkv, .mp4, .avi, .vob, etc. and no thumbnails are generated anymore like the way they used to. Granted I already have many existing thumbnails for the videos that have been played prior to 2 weeks ago. Thats why I was wondering if there was a limitation to the amount of thumbnails the TV could develop.

As for media play settings, it would be great to calibrate the video settings like how you can for regular tv or any other mode. Presently you can press the "Tools" button and only adjust the Mode,Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color, and Automotion plus. Whereas in TV mode you can press "Menu" and adjust Backlight, gamma, white balance, etc. Since I spend 90% of tv time in media mode it would be great to calibrate my settings like how I can for the other tv modes.

Lastly, I have many .mkv, .avi, files with multiple audio language tracks embedded within the video. Likewise for the subtitles, many different subtitle language tracks also. The problem is that the TV is set to play the default audio track or default subtitle track- which is fine if it is in english. Sometimes the default audio language track is Japanese, or subtitle track in cantonese or something. The english track is embedded within the video but is not the default track so it is not played. Perhaps a firmware update to allow the selection of which language track you would like is what I am asking for.

Other than that, loving the TV and I think you guys should advertise the media play ability more. Whenever I tell people the media play capability I always get the response "I should've bought that TV". I think you guys would sell more TVs if more people knew about it.

Collapse -
Thumbnails
by beerthax / August 2, 2009 8:23 PM PDT

Another thing I noticed, is that there are still thumbnails for files that I deleted off of the hard drive. When I go to the "Preferred" or "Title" view in the Movie mode of media play, it shows thumbnails for movies that have already been deleted. When I click "Tools" then "info" for the movie, it shows not available- which is correct because the video was deleted, but for some reason the TV still retains the thumbnail. I defragmented the Hard drive- no change in results.
So obviously, the TV is storing thumbnails for past videos that no longer exist. The question is, how do I purge the TVs memory of these thumbnails so that it can produce new ones?

Collapse -
Thumbnails
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 4, 2009 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Thumbnails

beerthax,

Are you performing a "safe removal" as listed on Pg 49 of the manual? This may correct that issue.

Also, you might try loading the drive in before going to the Media Play menu to see if it refreshes on its own.

If not, let me know.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thumbnails
by beerthax / August 5, 2009 5:05 AM PDT

I dont always safely remove the drive, but I would never remove it while in media play mode, I would switch to regular TV before I disconnect or connect a drive. Anyways, safely removing it did not correct the issue, but I discovered that if you go back and forth thru the different sorting methods and back to the main menu, that it would correct itself. Now the videos that were deleted are no longer showing any thumbnails.
Unfortunately the TV still cannot produce any more thumbnails for the existing videos. I played several videos of various type and no thumbnails were created. I even went so far as to safely disconnect both of the HDDs and shut the TV off and then unplug the TV for a minute or two. I reconnected the drives while off, then plugged it in and turned it on. Still no thumbnails were created.
I'm still thinking, if there is a way to "purge" or clear the memory in the TV in order to create thumbnails?

Collapse -
No more thumbnails
by beerthax / August 18, 2009 6:28 AM PDT

My tv has not produced any new thumbnails for over a month now. Still got some of the old ones displayed though. I've since put close to 20 movies on the Hard drive and watched them with no thumbnails produced.

There must be a way to purge/refresh the thumbnail settings right?

Collapse -
No more thumbnails
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 18, 2009 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: No more thumbnails

beerthax,

Outside of pulling out the drive, reinserting it and letting it load the images up, I don't have any solutions, unfortunately. I'll look into this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Service menu
by beerthax / September 1, 2009 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: No more thumbnails

I recently discovered how to access the Service menu in the B630. I know you are probably thinking "ok hes going to mess things up" but don't worry I didn't change anything. Ive heard too many horror stories about service menu experimentation. Anyways, I would like to know what the "Factory Reset" will do for me.
I am still looking for a way to refresh the cache or memory or something within the TV in order for it to produce thumbnails again. It has not been able to produce any type of thumbnail for a while now- and my kids cannot read- so a picture of the video ie; thumbnail is very helpful.
Attached are some pics I took of my TVs service menu I could not identify anything that has to do with clearing the media play thumbnail cache. Perhaps one of you Samsung dudes can identify an option?
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/43/dsc01125bbb.jpg http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/dsc01125bbb.jpg/1/w640.png
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2971/dsc01126z.jpg http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/dsc01126z.jpg/1/w640.png
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1528/dsc01124c.jpg http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/dsc01124c.jpg/1/w640.png
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/929/dsc01120y.jpg http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/dsc01120y.jpg/1/w640.png

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4332/dsc01121a.jpg http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/dsc01121a.jpg/1/w640.png

Collapse -
Service menu
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 1, 2009 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Service menu

beerthax,

Someone else is going to have to field that one. I can't speak on any portion of the service menu at all - that's been a forum policy from the beginning. Sorry.

--HDTech

Collapse -
re:
by tyrexden / September 2, 2009 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Service menu

i have the LN46B630, so its the same model, just smaller screen.

As far as the icons remaining, i agree with Samsung_HD_Tech, that the reason for this is because you didn't 'safely' remove the USB device. This applies both to removing it from your TV, and also from your computer. You really need to get into that habit of that... imagine losing those 200 movies.

Safely removing it is essentially 'finalizing' your last changes to the drive. So if you manually delete files, but don't safely remove the drive, that data is sort of trapped in limbo. The file name remain, but won't play. I've accidentally done this twice (the dog hit the power strip one time), and the only way i was able to correct it was backing up the remainder of the drive, then formatting it, the putting the files back onto it.

as far as the icon pictures no longer generating, it makes sense there will eventually be a limit. I haven't hit that limit yet, but i only have about 40 movies on a 1TB drive. Its probably stored on the TV somewhere.

Collapse -
Thumbnails & safe unplugged issue
by nocnod / December 4, 2009 11:36 PM PST

Hi,

I do also have issues with thumbnails.
I do have thumbnails for files that are no longer on the Hard Drive. And every time I want to make a safe unplugged of the Hard Drive, I'm getting an error.

How can I deal with those issues ?

Collapse -
Thumbnail problem solved
by beerthax / January 22, 2010 9:37 AM PST

Solved the problem fellas. If anyone has thumbnail problems, simply do a "Factory Reset" in the Service menu. I did this and now my TV is like brand new with the ability to make Thumbnails and all.

I kinda had a feeling that doing a factory reset would solve my problem and for months I was hoping a Samsung Tech would acknowledge this, but their gay-*** policy regarding "service menu" prevented them from actually being useful to me and to anyone else who has this problem.

It'll prob happen to other people in due time regardless if they do a safe remove or not.

Samsung needs to implement a "purge thumbnail" option in the menu to resolve whatever temporary storage problems may occur.

Collapse -
Thumbnail
by Novell2NT / May 31, 2010 10:09 AM PDT

I have used several media devices and have over 200 movies backed up to external HDs.
The media players I currently use are the WD TV Live and I stream to my PS3 using the PS3 media Server.
Both systems allow me to use jpgs as movie covers. Is this possible with any Samsung TV model?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.