Samsung forum

General discussion

LN52B550 VS HLT6187S

by ir1shi / March 25, 2009 5:10 AM PDT

I need help. I recently bought a factory refurbished 61 inch DLP HLT6187S, that came with a one year factory warrenty, and now needs service. Samsung is offering me a free replacement TV, but, since the one I have is a 2007 model, Samsung is telling me that they do not have any replacement DLPs, but, they are willing to replace it for free with a 2009 model LN52B550. Although I'd be trading a 2007 model for a 2009, also trading a DLP projection model for a LCD model, the downside is I would be going from a 61 inch to a 52 inch. The other option is that they give me my money back. Can anyone tell me that the 52 inch LCD model LN52B550 would be a significant enough upgrade to the 61 inch HLT6187S that I wouldn't mind the size difference?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN52B550 VS HLT6187S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN52B550 VS HLT6187S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LN52B550 VS HLT6187S
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 25, 2009 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: LN52B550 VS HLT6187S

ir1shi,

Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad to hear that you're getting taken care of. Happy

Without sounding insincere - but being totally straightforward - the only person that is going to be able to really determine your happiness with the size difference is you.

I usually discuss, when people are considering screen size, how far do you sit back from the screen? HDTech's Rule of Three (my unoffical Laws of Physics here, mind you Wink ) suggest that sitting back 3x the size of the screen is a good place. If you find yourself moving your eyes a lot while watching the television, you can get eye fatigue by having too big of a screen, and it takes away from the experience of watching the television.

61" = @ 15 ft. optimal viewing distance
52" = @ 13 ft optimal viewing distance

Then there are people who prefer to sit way back. I'll never forget the poster who sat 5 feet away from a 61" and loved it. So it's really up to preference. For MOST people, though, starting with the Rule of Three is a good starting point.

If you're really happy with the screen size, and would like to try to accomplish getting another comparable size, then go that route. I might suggest you go to a store, and stand the typical viewing distance from both panels and relax your eyes. If you can comfortably encompass the picture without moving your eyes, you'll be able to determine if it's going to fit your needs.

At the end of the day, I'd rather you be happy with your product. If not, get something that makes you happy. I'm proud of the fact Samsung is making it right in your case, and I'd like to see you satisfied with our products.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
RE : LN52B550 VS HLT6187S
by ir1shi / March 25, 2009 5:44 AM PDT

HDTech,

It does help, and, I can live with the size difference, what I'm most concerned about is the difference in technology. I don't know alot about it, but, I know the 61 DLP has LED lighting inside which should last a very long time, while the 52 LCD has the cathode fluorescent lamp in it. From a longevity standpoint, not sure which is better. Also, the 52 inch has 70,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, while the 61 inch has 10,000:1. That sounds like a big difference, will the picture be noticably better? Sorry for the stupid questions, but, I appreciate your help.

Collapse -
RE : LN52B550 VS HLT6187S
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 25, 2009 8:51 AM PDT

ir1shi,

These questions are good. I'd rather explain the technology and clear out any confusion so that you can make the best decision for you. Happy

The LED DLP lamp was rated at a 30,000 half-life (the point where half brightness is achieved) before a replacement was needed. The CCFL (traditional) LCDs also have a 60,000 half-life. So that is pretty comparative. (Traditional DLP lamps were 4-6k hours, to put it in perspective)

The Dynamic Contrast Ratio is a bit of an apples-and-oranges comparison, because different technologies are rated differently. DLPs, Plasmas, LCDs... all of these different technologies are rated differently, and can't be inter-comparitive.

Check out the panel (if your local store carries it) and take a look at the picture. I think you'll be pleased, but I encourage you to see it for yourself. The B-Series is the 2009, and was just released.

Keep me posted. I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and decision. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
I think you'd miss the size..
by pt1209 / March 26, 2009 10:43 AM PDT

I actually saw the 52B550 yesterday up at Sears, I was there to check out the new 46B650 but did give the 52B550 a quick look, very nice TV.. As a present owner of a HLT4675w I'm dying to go LCD, especially Samsung's 650 series, the picture has more POP and colors are incredible. The B550 is a step down so you lose 120Hz and few other goodies which the 650 has. The reason I got a bit interested in the 52B550 was believe it or not is it's Dimensions, I have a limited space where our tv goes in our living room setup, The Dimensions listed at Sears has it only 30" high which would fit, I would pick up 6" of screen size over the 46B650 and my present DLP(HLT46)(unfortunately samsung no longer makes a 52" 650 rather they jumped up to 55B650).. BUT what I am trying to say is I think you will most definitely miss the 9" of screen your had with your HLT61, you get used to a bigger screen going smaller is a hard thing to get used to. Hence the reason I'm going back to take another look at the 52B550, I'd love to pick up 6" in screen size if the picture quality is close to the B650 although I'm worried about the lack of 120hz motion adjustments, Samsung did a great job with the B650s adding two slide controls for Judder and Blur.. HARD HARD decision!! Good luck with yours Happy

Collapse -
Viewing Distances
by OceanBreeze510 / June 11, 2009 4:32 AM PDT

Something more scientific than your "unoffical Laws of Physics" can be found here:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Now, while I agree that happiness can only be determined by the user, this calculator suggest something more like 1.6x the screen size as the optimum viewing distance. I sit 13 feet from my HLT6189 and that is 4.7 feet further than the "Maximum recommended SMPTE viewing distance", and 5 feet further than it should be to take full advantage of 1920x1080 resolution ("Maximum Viewing Distance for HDTV" in the calculator). Also note that the explanation for SMPTE viewing states, "Viewing from this distance or closer will result in a more immersive experience, and also lessen eye strain caused by watching a smaller image in a dark room."

So given this, if (and I hope it doesn't happen to me) my HLT6189 fails, the offer of a smaller TV would be unacceptable. Not knowing the specifications of the replacement TV, I also find myself wondering if I would be giving up 120Hz refresh rate, the ability to use my 3D glasses, and the ability to use my Bluetooth headphones.

Collapse -
Viewing Distances
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 12, 2009 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Viewing Distances

OceanBreeze510,

I like it. It takes into account viewing distances by screen size even. Excellent.

Thanks for the pro tip!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Red color gone. Can it be fixed?
by bschellva / June 22, 2009 10:27 AM PDT

After reading through these posts and others on the internet, I am wondering if there's any hope of getting this TV fixed. The red on my HLT6187S went out today and it looks like no one is able to get these fixed. Are we just out of luck with our $2000 tv?

Collapse -
Red color gone. Can it be fixed?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 22, 2009 4:22 PM PDT

bschellva,

Have you had the television diagnosed or found that the necessary parts are no longer available? You might try calling 800-SAMSUNG to see if you can get your unit repaired.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for the quick reply
by bschellva / June 22, 2009 10:28 PM PDT

We did call Samsung, they told us since it was out of warranty they couldn't do anything and to "google for a local repair shop." We have someone coming out to look at it that I found on Samsung's web site, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I really loved the TV and in the 60+ inch category there aren't a whole lot of affordable options these days. I just got nervous after reading lots of horror stories with the same symptoms.

Collapse -
Dead Red LED
by JTello0 / June 23, 2009 3:10 AM PDT

bschellva and anyone else experiencing the Dead Red Led issue, I suggest filing a complaint via the BBB. Not your local BBB but the New Jersey BBB (http://newjersey.bbb.org/).

I filed last week and Samsung called me today. They extended the warranty through July and contacted an in-home repair service. I'm waiting for the Service company to call right now. (I'll be calling them if they don't call within the hour.

I love my set, but I'd have perfered a new set, as I don't trust this model to not die again in another 4000 hours. Beggers can't be choosers. I'll post my experience here as it develops.

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion
by bschellva / June 23, 2009 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Dead Red LED

I'll keep that in mind in case the repair process goes south. I figure the television IS out of warranty and I turned down the extended warranty on numerous occassions. It is rather lousy that theses TVs didn't work out as advertised, but those are the breaks. I will pay to have it fixed if it can be done at a reasonable price and timeframe. If it can't be fixed or I get the run around, then I may file a complaint.

Collapse -
In the same boat... and not happy
by dustandrust / June 4, 2009 12:17 AM PDT

I have a 56" HLT5687sax. It is a top end LED Dlp. The red LED died, and the Authorized Samsung Repair company could not fix it. They offered to replace the set with same 52" LN52B550 or a refund.

These sets they are giving as replacements are refurbs, and they will not give you a full warranty on it. They will only cover the set to the remainder of you original warranty.

Samsung should pony up to all of the DLP users who got scr*wed into buying the "20,000 hour life" of the LED's... and give them a new top end 55" lcd not a refurbished, smaller, bottom range 5 series. I've been dealing with this for a month... and still have at least 2 more weeks to go before i get my replacement. I hope their LED's have better reliability than their DLP's.

Its very sad they way all companies treat their consumers these days. Customer loyalty, company reputation, and the idea of doing right by your customers just does not exist any more. Samsung has lost a loyal customer here... I will never pay for any product they make again.

Collapse -
In the same boat... and not happy
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 9, 2009 7:40 AM PDT

dustandrust,

Do you have a ticket number?

I'm trying to figure out who is trying to send you a refurbished model. The one year warranty is from the original date of purchase. Just because the warranty period isn't restarted doesn't mean that you're receiving a refurbished unit.

I'm not sure that changes the conclusion from your last post or not, but the fact that we're offering a refund or an upgrade suggests that the idea of doing right by our customers is important. We even gave you a choice.

I hope you reconsider, but I'd be interested in researching your claim nevertheless.

--HDTech

Collapse -
In the same boat too ...
by principled / June 9, 2009 11:41 AM PDT

I am not a happy customer with what I've been through and what I've been offered as a replacement for my "HL61A750": the same model LCD as you referenced. It didn't take me long to research that model and come to a conclusion, never mind the size. The quality differences simply cannot compare. This has significantly affected my opinion of Samsung. I have purchased 4 of their products and I'm afraid will purchase no more. It's a shame.
I'm not in a habit of badmouthing, but when I feel like I've had the screws put to me, I will go out of my way to let consumers know my experience. I'll come back here and let you know the outcome when it's over and will give you the full details as well.

Collapse -
any resolution?
by ls1pwr / October 13, 2009 7:51 AM PDT

Any resolution to those who were offered smaller low-end LCD exchanges for their unrepairable LED 61A750s???

I'm also in the same boat and wondered if Samsung is still being unreasonable with there "equal technology exchange".......

Collapse -
More info
by dustandrust / June 9, 2009 11:55 PM PDT

My ticket # is 4003635687 . I was originally told by the replacement group that I would be getting a refurb. I called back this week, and they now say it is a new unit. Honestly, I'm resigned to accepting a lower end, smaller size lcd. There is little info about the LN52B550 available, but from most of the comments over at AVSForum, many of the buyers were not happy with it, and returned it. ( reference thread here : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16604709 )

"the fact that we're offering a refund or an upgrade suggests that the idea of doing right by our customers is important.We even gave you a choice."

Well, I would argue that the LN52B55 is not an upgrade. It is a downgrade from a high end dlp to a low end lcd. They should be offering a 6 or 7 series... the 6 series sells for only a few $ more on Amazon. As for a refund... there is no equivalent led dlp available from any maker. If there was, I would have gotten one with an extended warranty with the refund money.

The worst part of the whole situation is that the HLT5687s was a beautiful tv. Great picture, great size, great value... it's a shame Samsung has abandoned the technology.

Collapse -
More info
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 10, 2009 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

dustandrust,

I appreciate your candor.

I have sent that number up to inquire. I have a slight understanding of how that process works; unfortunately, I'm not in the service department, but I'd like to help the best I can.

I have no problem with your reponse. The money that could buy a DLP can't buy a top end LCD. If you want to upgrade, maybe there's some room to negotiate, and I encourage you to do what makes you happiest - some people have successfully negotiated an upgrade at a nominal cost, or being persistent. I'm not suggesting that it's a definite possibility, but maybe an avenue to explore with ECR to see what your options are if you want another television. Again, I'm not in service, so I'm limited in knowledge with their procedures, particularly the customer/contract negotiations.

DLP was a great television technology in many respects. No doubt the fastest response time of any technology, and the complete inability to burn in a static image... those are incredible features. But unfortunately, the trend of large units has passed.

But I digress. I do encourage you to explore the aforementioned avenue. Service issues are never fun, but I'd like to see you satisfied.

--HDTech

Collapse -
I appreciate the reply...
by dustandrust / June 10, 2009 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

I had inquired about upgrading to a better set and paying an additional amount, but was told it was not an option. I'm pretty far along in the process, and I think the replacement has been ordered, but not shipped. I also emailed CS Choi and told him my concerns Happy but he never replied. Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate that there is probably not much you can do at this point.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 10, 2009 8:46 AM PDT

dustandrust,

Well, I figured it was worth a shot. Sorry to hear it wasn't an option.

Keep me posted. If I can help in the future somehow, please let me know.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 12, 2009 1:11 AM PDT

dustandrust,

I did confirm that the unit that will be shipped to you is a new unit. This wasn't a result of anything I did - it was set up that way regardless. I'm not sure why the phone representative suggested otherwise, but you will get a new unit.

--HDTEch

Collapse -
To: HDTech
by JTello0 / June 12, 2009 3:32 AM PDT

HDTech, I have a 61' LED model, a year and a half old, and the red led has gone out. I'm killing myself that I don't have an extended warranty. Is there any hope of getting a resolution from Samsung? I bought the LED set over the lamp models because of the 20,000 life of the LED's, and now to have the LED die is infuriating.

Collapse -
To: HDTech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 12, 2009 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: To: HDTech

JTello0,

I can't make those decisions. What you might do is call 800-SAMSUNG and make an inquiry through the Executive Customer Relations Department. I don't have any say on out of warranty issues, but they do.

At this point, that's the best I can suggest.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Dead Green LED???
by Sting_3 / March 2, 2010 12:15 AM PST

Hello, I have not seen anyone talk about any other LED's failing other than the red. My red LED is fine but the Green one went out instead. Has any one heard of this problem? Is it a dead LED or can something else cause only one LED to not light?

This is what happened when it went out. I was watching TV and all of a sudden the whole picture had a reddish/pink tint to it. I changed the channel and it had the same effect. I then proceeded to turn off the TV. When I turned the TV back on it had a very faint picture that faded in and out. It was only a faint outline visible in a pitch black setting. If there was any light is was not visible. It faded from pitch black to a faint ghost of a picture. So faint it was next to impossible to see.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.