Samsung forum

General discussion

LN52A650 not working with 50hz signal

Hello,
I bought an LN52A650 while living in the UA. I have now moved to Australia with the TV. I am unable to connect any HD Digital Set Top boxes to the TV (either with Component or HDMI). The inbuilt TV Tuner does not seem to pick up the Australia TV signals which is why I went for the Digital Set Top box rout. I get "Mode Not Supported" when the Digital Set Top box is connected. An XBOX, Media Box, and PC all work with the TV (signal is 60hz). The Set Top Box works with another US LCD we have.

Is there a way to configure one of the LN52A650 input ports (HDMI or Component) to accept 50hz?
Is there something else I can do to receive TV singals on the LN52A650?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN52A650 not working with 50hz signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN52A650 not working with 50hz signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LN52A650 not working with 50hz signal

In reply to: LN52A650 not working with 50hz signal

frostaboy,

The regional settings on the televisions are set for the region that they will be in. You may want to consider contacting Samsung Support in your area and seeing if there is something that a service call would be able to do. However, there are no guarantees when moving a television (or any electronic device) out of it's native region that it will work.

If the tuner and components are designed for 60Hz, and all that is availabe is 50Hz, your television might not be able to properly transfer to the new region either by absence of software or by the hardware itself. It MAY be possible, but I'd suggest that it likely isn't.

The number in Austalia is 1300-362-603.

--HDTech

Collapse -
No luck with Samsung Australia

In reply to: LN52A650 not working with 50hz signal

Hello,
Thank you for the quick response. I called Samsung Australia and they said the TV should be multi-region compatible. They said the TV should be able to accept 50hz or 60hz. Samsung Australia gave me the phone number of a representitive, however, the representitive will not deal with the issue becuase the warrenty is not covered in Australia.

This means I am on my own. Is there a manual that covers the Service Menu options? Some of the options in the Service Menu seem to set default requencies for the different input ports.

Collapse -
No luck with Samsung Australia

In reply to: No luck with Samsung Australia

frostaboy,

So the TV is multi-regonal compatible. But no-one will tell you how to do it because of a warranty issue. I can see to a degree why: Accessing the service menu is a complicated process - you'd think one setting should do it, but the reality is that it's just not that simple - but since you have a contact that even I don't have...

Do me a favor. DO NOT POST IT HERE, but would you EMAIL me the phone number in Australia of the representative who told you this? My email is lsforumcontest@gmail.com

I'll see if I can drum up some information via international telecommunications and see what I can do. The answer may still likely be no anyways, but at least we'll know why, and perhaps what is involved. Or, we might get lucky. I'm willing if you are.

--HDTech

Collapse -
I am having the exact same problem!

In reply to: No luck with Samsung Australia

I have the same TV and just moved from Alaska to Australia. What was your solution to this problem? Any help would be appreciated as I have waited 2.5 months to get my TV only find that it won't work with foxtel cable or a locally purchased region free DVD player. HELP!!!! Thanks!

Collapse -
Same problem here

In reply to: I am having the exact same problem!

Has anyone had any luck solving this problem?

I'm in exactly the same situation and quite frustrated.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.