Samsung forum

General discussion

LN52A650 - Motion Blur on all A.M.P. settings!

by joseph_st_onge / March 30, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

I purchased the Samsung LN52A650 two weeks ago. I connected it to my comcast HD box via an HDMI cable (outputting 1080i). I also have a Samsung upconvert DVD player connected via a HDMI cable (outputting 1080p).

When watching standard definition cable, HD Cable, or DVD movies such as (sports, movies, kids cartoon shows, news, etc...) and there is any of the following :

1) movement on the screen (Face turns sideways, or hand movements),
2) movement accross the screen (person walks from on side of the screen to the other without the camera panning) or
3) movement where the camera pans to try and follow the moving object

the screen gets extremely blurry and it takes the TV a second or two to clear up. I've tried setting the AMP to off, low, med, high, but the problem still happens.

I also get a random studdering effect of players when watching sports.

I contacted samsung and they sent out a technician who replaced two boards on the tv (Main & T-Com) but problem still occurs.

I currently have the AMP set to OFF as this reduces the TV from trying to smooth everything further. With it on the blurring was worse and made the picture look fake to whatever I watch.

This is making me sick to watch such a beautiful TV perform like junk. The blurring effect makes me and my wife dizzy and hurts our eyes because we try to focus, but it's the tv and not our eyes.

Is there any known problems with this tv or other settings/firmware updates that I can do to get rid of this, otherwise I may have to return asap.

Thanks,
Joe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN52A650 - Motion Blur on all A.M.P. settings!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN52A650 - Motion Blur on all A.M.P. settings!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LN52A650 - Motion Blur on all A.M.P. settings!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 30, 2009 9:42 AM PDT

Joe,

Some of this blurriness is inherent with Standard Definition signals.

With the upconverting DVD player, it's hard to tell since you've correctly set the output resolution. AMP settings to off will turn off the processing (except to upconvert the signal to 120Hz and 1080p). This processing may be causing the issue, and if that's the case, you might try changing either the Entertainment Mode, or enabling "Just Scan" settings (in the manual).

With the cable, it's a little more difficult to diagnose. So if you can get the DVD upconverter to work, you've solved one problem.

The problem with cable is that the digital signal is compressed (zipped), which while blurry motion shouldn't occur on the forepicture (ie: football player), it could very easily happen on the background picture (blurry grass or crowd). Since it varies from content provider to content provider, it's hard to determine that.

But if you can't adjust the picture for both the upconverting DVD player and the cable box, then it may not be something that will work for your situation.

How does it look when you're watching HD channels and signals?

--HDTech

Collapse -
LN52A650 - Motion Blur
by joseph_st_onge / March 30, 2009 11:04 PM PDT

Hi Samsung HD Tech,

Thanks for responding and lending any help/knowledge you can.

The same problem exists no matter what signal I am watching (Standard Definition, HD, or DVD).

I tried the following and problem still exists:
1) Hooked HDMI calbe to different ports on TV
2) Adjusted the TV settings to "just scan" from 16:9 and it does not help
3) Adjusted the settings on DVD player to see if I could get the problem to stop. (changed output signal from progressive to interlace, also changed signal from normal output to 480, 720, 1080). Left setting at 1080p output as it had no affect on fixing the motion blur.
4) Adjusted the settings on Comcast HD box to see if I could get the problem to stop. (changed output signal from progressive to interlace, also changed signal from normal output to 480, 720, 1080). Left setting at 1080i output as this is the highest setting it has and an changes had no affect on fixing the motion blur.
5) Tried new HDMI cables - did not fix problem

In the tv settings there is an option to turn on or off a setting called XYCCC? What is this? And what should it be set at? Also, on my dvd player and cable there is a setting for RGB or YCC? All three are setup as YCC. Changing them makes no difference on motion blur but I just wanted to find out what this is? Is it the color spacing and color range?

Collapse -
LN52A650 - Motion Blur
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 31, 2009 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: LN52A650 - Motion Blur

joseph_st_onge,

The more I'm reading this, the more I'm leaning towards suggesting either exchanging (if you're still in the timeframe) or having the unit repaired. It shouldn't be "going blurry" and then self-correcting. Based on the description, it's hard to pinpoint if it's the panel or the electronics.. but that's what I suggest.

HD should be crystal clear, and an intermittent blurriness that later corrects just doesn't sit right with this tech, and I don't think it has to do with components - or in this case - even the AutoMotion Plus processing.

RGB is color spacing that has a specific color space range. xvYCC is a digital color space range that extents the color gamut beyond RGB and sRGB. Without getting too technical, the xvYCC allows deeper hues and a larger color respresentation by allowing the opposing primary color a negative coefficient rather than just 0 as one advantage.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LN52A650 - Motion Blur
by joseph_st_onge / March 31, 2009 11:25 PM PDT

Thank You HDTECH!

I have already contacted Samsung and the store where I purchased it to start the process for an exchange. I will let you know the outcome. I am within the 30 day return policy so but I have to act fast to make sure I don't miss out.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Collapse -
LN52A650 - Motion Blur
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 2, 2009 8:22 AM PDT

joseph_st_onge,

No problem. Let me know how it turns out.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?