Samsung forum

General discussion

LN52A650 HDMI input from external processor e.g. OPPO BDP-83

by rgoltra / December 15, 2008 7:44 AM PST

What I need is an authoritative statement that a pre-processed 1080p signal will not be re-processed in any way, such as converting from 1080p to 1080i and back again, which I read can happen. I wish to use an OPPO Blu Ray BDP-83 player, and I want its 1080p output to be monitored and displayed without ANY further processing.

My other HDMI source will be my HD cable television provider, which at present provides 1080i as well as Standard TV channels, which your LN52A650 can subject to whatever processes it wants.

Merry Christmas.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN52A650 HDMI input from external processor e.g. OPPO BDP-83
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN52A650 HDMI input from external processor e.g. OPPO BDP-83
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No difinitive statements but....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 17, 2008 3:54 AM PST

rgoltra,

Only our PR Department can issue an "authoritative" statement to such an effect.

So where what I can say, which is not considered 'difinitive', but should sufficiently answer your question is that while it won't downconvert to 1080i (since the panel is a 1080p native resolution, and such a process would be redundant on the 6-Series), additional processing WILL happen in the form of upconverting the picture to 120Hz. That's more of a benefit (enhancement) in the eyes of most people, however, there isn't a way to turn that 120hz upconversion off.

I hope that helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LN52A650
by rgoltra / December 17, 2008 6:30 AM PST

The OPPO Blu Ray player does deliver 120 Hz, 1080p program. It does not need to be upgraded to 120 Hz, or in any other way. So no adjusting or additional processing is necessary. Can you say it will be passed through/around ALL processing by LN52A650, and displayed as it is received through the HDMI input?

I have been frustrated that answers to my question have all been anwers to some other question. There is no issue here, except will the LN52A650 perform simply as a display of the OPPO 120 Hz, 1080-p output programs? If it does anything to that input signal but display it, then the answer is NO.

What it does to programs from cable HD via another HDMI input is fine. At present our cable HD is interlaced, I am sure.

Thanks

Collapse -
120Hz?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 17, 2008 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: LN52A650

All of the pre-specification stuff I could find online notes that it will be a 1080p, 60Hz output. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but that's what I've seen.

But since you requested a direct answer, we can deliver!

Samsung currently does not accept anything more than 60Hz into any of the inputs on our televisions. Neither have we announced any plans to do so. Also, to the best of our knowledge, no other full television (display with tuner) will accept it. There may be some front projection product or large format computer displays that do, but not retail, integrated televisions.

Processing will be involved using the LN52A650.

--HDTech

Collapse -
OPPO confirms this...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 18, 2008 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: LN52A650

Just to make sure, I did submit an inquiry to OPPO's pre-sales department regarding the claims of 120Hz output. I received a response within hours of inquiry, which is impressive. I made the inquiry as an interested customer.

What I wrote: <i>I'm interested in the Oppo BDP-83, but I'd like to know if it will have 120Hz output via HDMI. </i>

I received the following response:

<i>Anthony,

120Hz is a technology which is exclusive to your display's rendering capabilities, and is not an actual synchronization. Displays can only accept 50Hz and 60Hz standards.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629 Terminal Blvd., Suite B
Mountain View CA 94043
USA
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119</i>

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

--HDTech

Collapse -
OPPO BDP-83 output vs. Samsung LN52A650
by rgoltra / December 18, 2008 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: OPPO confirms this...

Thanks to OPPO and SAMSUNG for confirming authoritative replies.

I am trying to learn to ask the right questions of the right authorities. It has not always been easy to find the right addressees for the questions. Sometimes I get no replies.

Collapse -
We're here for questions.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 18, 2008 12:08 PM PST

rgoltra,

Well, the purpose of the forum is to share information. There's a lot of information between SD vs. HD, Digital vs. Analog, Hz, and all the other changing technologies that can make it overwhelming. We try to make it easy by welcoming questions.

I try to address every question here, and other forum members contribute valuable information and experience.

That said, I can address the overall technology, detailed technology and Samsung products. I can't really discuss competitive products, and I made the exception above because it was relating to 120Hz more than comparing the actual Blu-Ray players. I'll help out where I possibly can, and if I can't, I'll say so.

We're here to answer questions, simple or hard. Jump in and ask away. Happy

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.