Samsung forum

General discussion

LN46B640 and DLNA

I just purchased the Samsung LN46B640 LCD HDTV last week and one of the reasons was for its DLNA support. Samsung's web page for this model at:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN46B640R3FUZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

lists that DLNA is supported. However, I cannot get it to work. DLNA works fine with other DLNA-enabled devices in my home network. After doing some more research online, I have found conflicting information suggesting that DLNA is not supported on this model.

So, is DLNA supported on the LN46B640?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN46B640 and DLNA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN46B640 and DLNA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LN46B640 and DLNA

In reply to: LN46B640 and DLNA

hmy1,

No, the LN46B640 does not have DLNA. I apologize for the confusion. The website is incorrect, and I will request that be fixed as soon as possible.

--HDTech

Collapse -
DLNA LN46B640

Request for Samsung to post firmware update for the LN46B640 lcd tv to provide DLNA support. DLNA is suppose to be available with this model. I have contacted Samsung numerous times about this problem and they will not return my emails. The lcd tv is DLNA capable and is suppose to be available on this model and Samsung should provide the firmware to make this possible.

Collapse -
Request for Samsung to address this issue!

I paid $1500+ for this TV in large part because it supported DLNA. I have spent the better part of 3 months trying to get this working. I even called Samsung and was met with people who were simply looking at the company website and knew nothing about the product or DLNA. They literally told me they couldn't answer my question and that was that. Hmmmph.

In any event, this really needs to be taken care of. Not being able to access my media is ridiculous. What is the point of the LAN adapter on the back, let alone the possibility of using a wireless adapter? Just to get weather and news stories? That's silly!

Please fix this!!

Collapse -
No DLNA for the LB46B640

I too dropped a bit of change to buy this particular model because of its DLNA feature, as listed on Samsung's own website. Had I known DLNA wasn't available I would have opted for a different model or brand.

I've owned this TV for about two weeks and haven't had a chance to check out all of it's features, or should I say missing features.

I'm sure the website error was an honest mistake. However, Samsung can make this right for its customers, that were expecting DLNA, by adding this functionality via a firmware upgrade.

I love my TV, but I hate that I got less than what was bargained for.

Collapse -
DLNA and Internet@TV

Samsung needs to make this right not only on there website but also with there customers. I too, along with everyone else, bought this TV with the understanding that the DLNA option was available. This needs to be corrected.

In addition, this is a 2009 TV so why does it not have the internet@TV option? Is there a possible add on for this? I would really like to have this function.

Collapse -
You must be kidding me ....

In reply to: DLNA and Internet@TV

I have limited my search for new TV to two main criteria:
46" so can fit my living room and most importantly, DLNA support.
I choose the LN46b640 model for that reason, the 630 is cheaper but didn't have DLNA when i compared the two TV's on the Samsung website.
I got the TV today after a very long wait and ho man.... what a disappointment it is.

Tons of web sites are referring to the fact that key differentiator between the 630 and 640/650 is the DLNA.

Only now when I searched for help due to the fact it doesn't work, i found this thread.

Samsung, you messed it up and you should fix it. You wont make less Money by fixing it, you have by far greater chance of losing pissed off customer who feel cheated / mislead.

Its just a software update to turn it on.

Till then, anyone can recommend other TV's that support DLNA?

Collapse -
Unbelieveable

FYI - As I was chatting with a Samsung Customer Rep today, I was told to go to the specs page to confirm that it didn't have DLNA. Funny thing was that I had the specs page up in front of me and it clearly said "yes" to the DLNA feature and when I refreshed my page, it changed from yes to no. Unbelieveable.

Collapse -
DLNA fraud continues

In reply to: Unbelieveable

Since before Thanksgiving, I've looked at Samsung's LN46B640 specification page and it has shown this model as having DLNA capability, and still does, even after the Samsung's representative (Samsung_HD_Tech)reportedly notified Samsung that the webpage was incorrect.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN46B640R3FUZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

So, here we are, four weeks later, Samsung continues to mislead unsuspecting customers. How much longer is Samsung going to continue this fraud??

How about it Samsung_HD_Tech? When is Samsung going to make this right??

Collapse -
They fixed it today ..

In reply to: Unbelieveable

I too was with Samsung rep on the phone on Sat and this morning.
The support rep on Sat was decent enough (2 others didn?t even bother) to check the web page herself before suggesting "I should have read the spec".
She saw that it says ?yes? and have opened a ticket for false advertising. Luckily I have also did a screen capture before they made the change.

I guess we can?t complaint that Samsung fixed their website however what about those customer who did buy it due to this error?

Is Samsung going to do anything about it now that they know it was an error and they fixed the spec? Now fix the customer SAT issue. A company as big as Samsung that have an important reputation to maintain should find it in their power to do the right thing.

After all, all those TV?s are really the same TV?s with just different features turned on or off ?. Time to turn those features on with software update or, since all those TV?s are brand new, let us exchange those for the 650. Again, to Samsung it cost the same thing.

Collapse -
let me know how it goes

In reply to: They fixed it today ..

well I am glad to see that they have opened a ticket for false advertising. i tried calling Samsung this evening and was told that a supervisor was going to call me back shortly. I have yet to hear from anyone and i doubt that I will. i have a copy of this forum just in case they try and delete the samsung reps admission to the page being incorrect.

i really just want this to be corrected in some way. i love the TV but i feel jipped that i bought the TV on the basis that it had DLNA.

let me know how it turns out for you.

Collapse -
specs screen capture

In reply to: They fixed it today ..

can you possibly send your screen capture to me? I have only this forum and i never did take a screen capture before they changed it. have they asked you for it when you opened your service ticket?

osogood54@gmail.com is my e-mail. thanks.

Collapse -
LN46B640 cached spec page

In reply to: specs screen capture

Google has the old specification archived at the following link:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:1Ax5hdJO7XEJ:www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN46B640R3FUZA/index.idx%3Fpagetype%3Dprd_detail%26tab%3Dspec+http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN46B640R3FUZA/index.idx%3Fpagetype%3Dprd_detail%26tab%3Dspec&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

It appears Sammsung updated the spec sometime early, on Dec. 21st.

Now, the question is, "How is Samsung going to make this right for the customers that bought this TV, believing it had DLNA support?"

The way I see it, they can do one of the following, but doing nothing is not acceptable:

1) Swap my TV with the LN46B650
2) Pay me the cost difference between the LN46B640 and LN46B630
3) Provide a firmware upgrade with DLNA support

Collapse -
Samsung should go in the hall of shame for that move!

DLNA products listed here: http://www.dlna.org/products/
Note that you can try and get them to give you a blu-ray with DLNA??? Has anyone gotten anywhere with Samsung?

Collapse -
so far nothing

In reply to: Samsung should go in the hall of shame for that move!

I was able to obtain a ticket number for the issue but it seems that no one has any idea of what's going on and what do about it. I have asked to speak with a supervisor on multiple occasions and they always seem to be "busy".

Collapse -
b640/dlna

In reply to: so far nothing

Collapse -
DLNA enabled

In reply to: b640/dlna

Hey thanks, that did the trick!!

Collapse -
Direction needed for wireless setup

I purchase 640 and have wireless internet can someone please tell me the best way to get my pc to tv working.
what do I need to make this work.
Please direct me to the right forum if you know. I have read most of the items in the 640 item but I havent seen the best way to connect the two

Collapse -
Wireless network adapter

In reply to: Direction needed for wireless setup

Collapse -
wireless adapter

In reply to: Wireless network adapter

What I was asking is what equipment do I need to hook pc to tv --It has ehternet and lan connection--I want to stream from pc to tv, pic and audio, etc. Seems like I read somewhere that you could add a wireless wi fi to to tv to make them talk to one another. But I cant find the info again.

Collapse -
Check your User's Manual

In reply to: wireless adapter

Page 35 in your user manual tells you how to make the network connections. The manual can be downloaded from Samsung's website.

Collapse -
640 settings to 650

I can change my tv to 650--so the question when we need upgade software which do you use the std 640 or the 650 upgrade

Collapse -
set 640 to 650

In reply to: 640 settings to 650

I have ran into a problem that I could use some help. need help in getting the DLNA working on my 640 series--I gone to service menu and change to 650 and set the dlna to on--then back to 640 however this change the type back to 640. But I was able to change dlna to on even set at 640. I dont have wireless yet so I hook up cable-(across floor)just to test. Went thru auto setup for internet. shows everything working. I installed pc share 3.2 and it shows the folder. Am I missing something here in this setup.The only thing I was not able to see with pc share --the set device- is it suppose to show IP and other info here?
In tools it shows media and dlna but when you go to source there is no indication on dlna as an opition
My question is where will the dlna show up at. I click on infolink and the infolink works-connected to weather, etc, Any suggestion on what I might be missing

Collapse -
try with windows 7 (media player 12)

In reply to: set 640 to 650

If i remember correctly, in the 650 series you cant really discover the device (TV) from the PC. The way its work, its like a pull model.
You can browse from your TV the PC devices.

I didn?t have much luck with the Samsung software however, I had no issue with Windows Media Player (both 11 and 12 which comes with Win 7 - which btw: is very cool)

I since then upgraded my TV to the 750 model which works better in the sense my PC can actually see the TV. In fact, I am using very successfully the Window 7 feature called "play to" which basically allow me to push music/video or pictures from my PC (laptop in my case) directly to the TV. I don?t have to tune to any channel, the TV simply switch to my media automatically the moment it gets the "signal".
That is windows 7 feature and like I said ... I LOVE it.

Collapse -
640 dlna

In reply to: try with windows 7 (media player 12)

Well I have tried evrything I can to get the dlna to show--Is Media pro suppose to show up somewhere--I get media 2 to show the photo-music -movie but there are no files showing-- Could someone provide a link to pc share manager setup- or a good alternate-thanks

Collapse -
what works? what doesn't work?

In reply to: 640 dlna

Can you explain in more details what actually works and what you think you are missing?

Main question: Can you from your TV, see any PC - even just as listed machine regardless if you can see any media?

Again, if you are trying to see the TV from your PC - I was never able to do it and from all I know its by design.

Collapse -
DLNA Guide

In reply to: 640 dlna

Collapse -
650 from PC

No, the 650 (LE model) can be seen from PC in networks. In fact, you need to enable it in media sharing properties once it is discovered.

I have used TwonkyBeam to push media to the 650.

Collapse -
B650

In reply to: 650 from PC

I should add that's the 2009 B650. Apologies if you were referring to the 2008 A series.

Collapse -
650 from PC

No, the 650 (LE model) can be seen from PC in networks. In fact, you need to enable it in media sharing properties once it is discovered.

I have used TwonkyBeam to push media to the 650.

Collapse -
help with 46b640 -usa model from Best Buy

I made the change from 640 to 650 to get dlna to appear(as outline in one of these forum). I finally got my bridge router to get the info link such as news, stock etc but I could never get it to connect to pc manager or windows media 11.
Heres my question (1)when you go to menu setup there is an opition for type and model of tv. I change model to 650 but I think I may have change the type also.Is there a way to get the correct type?
2.The menu shows network connect as cable and it is grey out unable to choose--Is there another setting to make this change from cable to wireless?
In the Network selection it shows wireless and it will show internet working and I can connect to info link.

I reset the tv back to original settings--But that didnt happen, it still shows 650.
Since the reset I am unable to get PIP it is grey out also

One last question -If I am able to get the info link thru my wireless router does this mean my router setting should be ok to get the wdlink to work so I can send pic, music etc ok??

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.