Samsung forum

General discussion

LN46A860 Cloudiness

by mcfly1955 / May 12, 2009 1:59 AM PDT

Is there more info out now about LN46A860 cloudiness?

I've searched and everything is from several months ago...

I received my TV last Thursday night and noticed the clouds the first day and was just going to try to deal with it, but we had guests over for Mother's Day and one of them pointed out the worst cloud in the lower left part of the screen and asked "what's that", which prompted me to call for service immediately. I shouldn't have to have such a noticeable area(s) on the screen at night, when I primarily watch TV.

The service person is coming on Thursday and is requiring me to carry it upstairs and block the window so that they can see the issue, which I'm hoping I will be able to replicate. I fear that I will be told to basically 'deal with it' and be told there is nothing they can do, which is not acceptable.

Here is a picture of what I'm seeing:
http://i44.tinypic.com/jsk0lk.jpg

This is from the 2nd night having the TV, and I have more pics from last night that show it even better...

What do you all think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN46A860 Cloudiness
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN46A860 Cloudiness
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LN46A860 Cloudiness
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 12, 2009 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: LN46A860 Cloudiness

mcfly1955,

Keep me posted and let me know how the service call goes.

--HDTech

Collapse -
-
by mcfly1955 / May 12, 2009 3:14 AM PDT

will do, as long as the tech shows up, I will be posting right after he/she leaves.

Collapse -
more pics
by mcfly1955 / May 12, 2009 8:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
lost sale
by nethead12 / May 12, 2009 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: more pics

thanks for the pics

I was just about to order the LN46A850 from frys, under $1400 now.

But will not do so, after seeing this.

Do not want to deal with a TV that 'could' have this problem and bought from a company on the other side of the USA.

Collapse -
-
by mcfly1955 / May 12, 2009 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: lost sale

From what I understand, this is possible with any LCD screen, but is not considered 'normal'. I believe it is considered a defect.

I've seen it through research on Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc....You just have to get a good one from the batch apparently.

Collapse -
update
by mcfly1955 / May 14, 2009 3:59 AM PDT

UPDATE---

Tech came out today to check out the TV.

I moved the TV upstairs last night and blocked out the window to make it dark. As we walked up the stairs I told him the problem I was having, he said "sounds like clouds".

I flipped on the TV with no signal and killed the lights. He said he saw them right away and in his opinion would consider that to be a defect. He explained that LG is very good at taking care of this for customers, and Sony is really bad about taking care of it and generally just says it's normal, and deal with it. He was pretty unfamiliar with how Samsung feels about screen uniformity problems.

I provided him my samsung repair ticket # and my live chat conversation with a samsung tech support person who I sent my cloudy pictures to who confirmed in the chat that it was indeed a defect. The repair tech told me there was nothing he could do repair wise and filled out the repair sheet as 'bad display', took a copy of my live chat conversation, and said that he expected them to approve a replacement based on that info and would let me know if they needed pictures. They will call me back in a few days to let me know the outcome.

So, for now, I'm happy with the process. At the very least I want a repair attempt or a replacement of this set until the clouding is gone for the most part and not visible during normal viewing.

I will keep the updates coming as they happen...

Collapse -
replacement policy?
by mcfly1955 / May 15, 2009 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: update

Hey Samsung HD Tech,

Do you know what the current replacement policy is for the ln46a860 since it is now discontinued?

Not to sound like a baby, but I will have service out and get a replacement as many times as it takes to get a screen with no visible clouding during normal viewing (I can deal with minimal clouding and flashlighting, but this set was unacceptable).

Assuming my replacement is OK'ed by samsung, is there any way they would send out a ln46b750 (lower model number, but 09 version) as from what I have read it seems the screen uniformity issues are greatly improved on that set....Sending that to me instead would probably save a lot of money in tech visits and replacements... I know this has been done for others having the same problem as me at avsforums, but wasn't sure if this is the new policy for replacing the ln46a860 or not.

Just curious, my samsung ticket # is 4003636139

Any info would be appreciated.

Collapse -
replacement policy?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 15, 2009 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: replacement policy?

mcfly1955,

Thanks for sharing the above post.

The replacement policy is handled by service. While I'm not a part of service, I do know some of the fellas over there and have escalated issues at my discretion. However, after I escalate the issues, it's out of my hands, and is between you and ECR, or whichever department is handling it.

I think their focus is on repairing your current unit so that the defective part is replaced with a working part. I have seen mostly successful resolutions, and there are some occasional situations where it has to be done again.

It doesn't bother me in the least that you're persistent. We're here to assist where we can. I personally, however, don't have the ability to make those decisions.

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
repair
by mcfly1955 / May 15, 2009 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: replacement policy?

Thanks HD Tech

Turns out a new 'panel' was ordered for my set today, the same model #. Do you have any idea if a new 'panel' is the appropriate fix for screen uniformity problems? I'm just confused as the samsung in home tech told me that the set was not repairable and needed to be completely replaced...

I guess I'm not exactly sure what the 'panel' is and how replacing the panel might be beneficial to rid the set of clouding...Is the panel basically the whole set, or just the screen? I'm just not very optimistic that whatever they try is going to work after reading story after story in the ln46a860 thread on another forum...

Thanks for all of your help!

Collapse -
repair
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 15, 2009 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: repair

mcfly1955,

There are usually two possible fixes for the television.

Usually the best way to deal with it is to replace the panel. There are some issues that are caused by other parts (which is pretty rare, unless someone has better information on this than I have), but usually a panel replacement will solve the issue.

Is it the appropriate fix? Yes. Is it guaranteed? Yes. If it doesn't fix the issue, we'll come out and do it again, or do something different.

(The panel is the viewable part of the television.)

--HDTech

Collapse -
repair
by mcfly1955 / May 18, 2009 1:47 AM PDT

Is it normal for them to "take the TV back to the shop" to replace the panel and return to me in a few days?

Not that I don't trust the company that was sent out, it just seems as though a panel replacement is the type of repair that could be done quickly in home....And it sucks that you pay $1,500+ for a TV just to be without it for however long it takes them just weeks after receiving the set.

Collapse -
panel replacement
by skyscanr / May 18, 2009 7:39 AM PDT

Well had my 4061 repaired in my home . They replaced the panel , power supply and the main board in less then a hour

Collapse -
0 for 3 so far
by Daygn / May 18, 2009 6:37 PM PDT

I am on my second 52a850 TV and third panel. The first two took about 3 weeks or more to start clouding. Plus the first one had bad flash lighting in the right corners. At the end of march they replaced my second panel(just make sure you move your coffee table if you have a smaller living room so the tech has room to lay it on the floor and it wont take more then an hour or so, also have a thick comforter or blanket handy to lay the set on so you do not get scratches) and with in a couple of minutes after the tech leaves I wanted to smack myself for not noticing the PICTURE QUALITY was NOT even close to what the first two were. The POP was gone colors were washed out and was vary blurry. So make sure you don't focus on looking for the clouds and check the PQ before he leaves!!!!!!

By the way my forth panel along with all internal parts arrives Friday. Only the brazel is original.

Collapse -
repair
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 19, 2009 3:53 PM PDT

mcfly1955,

In some cases, the technician may take it back to the shop. The best thing to do is call them and stay updated on the repair.

--HDTech

Collapse -
delivered
by mcfly1955 / May 22, 2009 4:33 AM PDT

TV was delivered this afternoon, unfortunately I was not able to be there, so my wife let the delivery company in.

She noticed a scratch on the bezel immediately, but had to go back to work so didn't have time to see if it was something minor that can be rubbed off, or a deep cut that is now a cosmetic issue....ughhh..

So, I will be checking out the picture later on tonight and will report back...Hopefully I'm happy now, otherwise I shall be one the phone with samsung again, unfortunately....

I'll post back later tonight...

Collapse -
repair
by mcfly1955 / May 20, 2009 5:25 AM PDT

Just got a call from the service company, they will be stopping by to pick up the TV tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon, and will be returning the TV on Friday afternoon.

I will post a report Friday night after seeing it in the dark, and will put up some pics (hopefully of a uniform screen) on Friday night or Saturday.

Collapse -
repair
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 20, 2009 10:52 AM PDT

mcfly1955,

Keep me posted.

I suggest that when it's returned, have your tech present so he can see exactly what you are looking at.

It may not be perfectly uniform, and some of that is inherent with any LCD panel - but it should be better than what it was. I'd be interested in hearng the outcome.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Update
by mcfly1955 / May 22, 2009 11:35 AM PDT

Well, here is my update.

I would say the uniformity is VERY slightly improved, but not by much...And I don't know how to really describe this, but in dark scenes I now see about a 3" tall dark rectangle stretching all the way across the picture....If this makes sense it's almost like they put a 2X4 in the screen in front of the backlight, which is projecting forward....That's the only way I can describe it. There is also some noticeable 'clouds' and a bad 'flashlight' effect in one of the corners that wasn't present before....Everything seems to be in roughly the same area as before the "repair"...

No changes to firmware and no changes in the service menu.

Also, I believe I was sent a refurb panel because there are scratches EVERYWHERE on the bezel.....It looks like someone took very light grit sandpaper and went all the way around the edge with it, with 2-3 areas being deeper and noticeable when sitting on the couch in the light from 8 feet away...Ridiculous for a 3 week old TV, IMO....I called and got transferred to ECR, which was closed, and was told to try back Monday (he said they were open on Memorial day, we'll see).

I dread how many panels and repair calls/visits I am going to have to go through...

What bugs me is I was specifically told by the samsung tech that this set could NOT be repaired and needed to be entirely replaced, yet a repair was attempted, and either Samsung really messed up with the panel that was sent out with it being scratched EVERYWHERE possible, or the repair company put it face down and skateboarded around the repair shop using the TV.....

Collapse -
nevermind
by mcfly1955 / May 22, 2009 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Update

I just saw the TV in the dark finally now that it is dark outside (sun was setting when I saw it earlier).

The set is much worse now, more pronounced cloudy spots and in more places...So, now I have WORSE clouding and a scratched up 3 week old TV...Yay...

Collapse -
pics
by mcfly1955 / May 22, 2009 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: nevermind
Collapse -
SCRATCHES
by mcfly1955 / May 23, 2009 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: pics
Collapse -
Solution?
by ckwalski / May 27, 2009 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: SCRATCHES

Hey there,
Just wondering if you have heard back from Samsung yet...I recently purchased the LN46A850 model a couple months back, and I am also starting to experience worsening problems with flashlights in the corners as well as clouding. Unfortunately, it is severely affecting my viewing experience. I am planning on calling the service department later this week to see what they will do. I loathe to think I'm going to have to go jump through multiple hoops, like you and others on this forum, to find a solution to this problem.

Collapse -
Result
by mcfly1955 / May 27, 2009 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution?

Forgot to update?

I returned the set to crutchfield, they were great to deal with, and exchanged it with a completely different set from a different manufacturer?.Too many problems right now with Samsung IMO unless you jump up to the new OLED displays, so maybe I?ll give them a try again on my next set?.I just can?t deal with terrible clouding.

With more persistence, I think I would have been offered a ln46b750, but it too has problems with clouding (though not as often), so I would possibly just be going through this cycle forever?.If I were you, I would schedule the visit and be persistent until you are happy. Samsung seems to be willing to work with you if the problem is bad enough, I just can?t keep doing the panel swap game as it was already 3 days scheduled around being at home for the repair person?.I couldn?t keep doing it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?