Samsung forum

General discussion

LN46A850 - does firmware upgrade REALLY degrades pictures?

by girishv / February 8, 2009 10:59 PM PST

I've read within topics on this issue but haven't seen a full thread for it. So my question to people out there specifically with LN46A850 who have upgraded or so...does it REALLY degrade picture as few people are saying. Doesn't make sense for a company like SAM SUNG to make something that will worsen there product. Highlighting on this issue would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN46A850 - does firmware upgrade REALLY degrades pictures?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN46A850 - does firmware upgrade REALLY degrades pictures?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, initially....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 9, 2009 9:31 AM PST

girishv,

What happens is that the picture returns to default "out of the box" settings, as the firmware update basically resets the picture. Since most people spend about an hour or so tweaking the pictures to adjust to black levels, color saturation, contrast, brightness and other detailed settings, the "out of the box" experience can definitely make you think, "Uh oh, I just got a bad picture out of this".

Initial reports of any firmware often comes with the "notice of a different picture", but it's likely because the settings were all reset, and not because the processing or picture quality is necessarily degraded.

I'm sure there will be at least one person who will challenge this thought, and it's certainly a "discussion of perception". However, in most cases, the picture quality isn't as good because the settings were reset.

Hope that helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
great.. also...
by girishv / February 9, 2009 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Well, initially....

I see what you are saying. Personally i haven't tweaked any out of the box settings and well i just find them to be perfectly fine. I am def an IT person myself but have never found the need to tweak settings on a TV to find better picture.

ALSO...samsung doesn't mention what actually has changed in the new firmware. I am also one of the people who's having the IR issue. I am in Canada using Bell Expressvu reciver...though mine isn't as bad at all. It halts the operation of expressvu for maybe a minute or so which is definitely livable. Has the IR issue been fixed?

Some people on the forum are saying.. yes.. some say no. I called Samsung Canada and showed them a post on US site to how people can have boards replaced on TV for FREE but the lady insisted that i update the firmware. I however haven't tried just because 99% of the people kept mentioning that picture degrades after firmware update. That made me scratch my head...hard to believe an update makes the TV quality degrade.

Collapse -
Also...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: great.. also...

girishv,

I believe there were some settings in the firmware for the U.S. but I don't know about Canada. Usually they list the changes on the website underneath the firmware download section, but I'll check to see if one of my guys in Canada can address that.

Most of the people on the forum are saying yes, and I've seen only one person here on C|Net (where I've been assisting in these issues) say that the picture quality degrades. I know that seems a little contradictory to your fingdings, but that's just my observation based on people who are critically looking for a change and can't find one. If it was the other way around, I'd say that, but most people are satisfied with it. The 8-Series IR thread is usually on the front page, so feel free to browse it. The fix happens towards the middle of it, and that's where people report their success.

The IR has been fixed with the new inverter. I do NOT know how that works for Canada, and can't speak to Canada's service network. You could probably make more headway than me, but if you get stuck, I'll do what I can to help. Naturally I can't guarantee anything, but I'll knock on a few doors if that's what it takes.

So there are some options for you to consider.

--HDTech

Collapse -
TV showing firmware 1005 which doesn't exist on site
by girishv / February 10, 2009 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: Also...

Hi There,

thanks a lot for your help... something very weird...I am confused. I know for a fact that when firmware updates happen.. the numbering usually goes up. However my TV right now is showing

Module: T-Sphausc-1005.0, date 2008 10 06 Micom T-Shauss-1003

instruction manual on the site shows PDF document stating that XXXX is what the version no is and mine is showing 1005.0 which doesn't even exist on US or Canada site. TOTALLY CONFUSED.

any ideas??? thanks for your help

Collapse -
Firmware
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 2:47 PM PST

girishv,

It is possible to have a firmware update that is newer than what is on the website. I wouldn't go backwards. If you have a later version than what's on the webiste, I wouldn't go back.

It is confusing, and many people here have asked about that. I don't have an answer yet.

--HDTech

Collapse -
bizarre...
by girishv / February 10, 2009 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: Firmware

yes...very bizarre...good thing i checked before i just went and upgraded (thinking that i was)the firmware. An answer would definitely be nice to how this is even happening. How does a company go ahead and even have a new FW that is not even available on the site. Not that i am complaining...just curious. Thanks for all your feedback.

Collapse -
Wish I knew...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 11, 2009 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: bizarre...

girishv,

Well, there are plenty of people who are complaining, and I don't blame them. I wish I had an answer, because I'd like to get that question answered.

Thanks for your patience, and we're happy to help.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?