Samsung forum

General discussion

LN46A550 Power On Default Mode Always TV With Full Volume

by skeptical2649 / June 21, 2010 12:27 PM PDT

After 14 months of defaulting to whatever the video mode was previously used before shutdown, usually cable STB, my LN46A LCD TV now always powers up in the TV tuner mode at full loud volume. I can use the Source button to select whatever input I want so I can still watch the tv. It is annoying however to not only have to change the video source, but quickly turn down the volume from full loud when I power up the set. I have tried all factory resets, etc to no avail. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN46A550 Power On Default Mode Always TV With Full Volume
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN46A550 Power On Default Mode Always TV With Full Volume
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2010 1:41 PM PDT

skeptical2649,

Do you have auto-volume set in the audio menu?

Also, if you think this is an issue beyond settings, and you're a U.S. customer, register your product online, and you may qualify for an additional three months of warranty service. After registering, you can call 800-SAMSUNG if you think there is something wrong with your set.

Of course, that's all up to the service department, but it may help in your particular situation.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by skeptical2649 / June 21, 2010 2:07 PM PDT

It doesn't matter what menu changes I make, the set always returns to TV mode with full volume when powering on. Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 22, 2010 11:35 AM PDT

skeptical2649,

The auto-volume feature sets the volume for when the set is on. If you're not able to adjust that, or if the results continue to display the "full volume" symptom, then the unit may require service.

If you haven't already, and you've written your video settings down, you may want to consider resetting the television to see if that fixes the issue.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by skeptical2649 / June 22, 2010 11:48 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. I have done every kind of reset I could find, using the remote commands as well as unplugging the set overnight. Also, looked at the service menu and did a reset from there. No menu changes are kept, it always powers up in stupid mode. 1-800 SAMSUNG tells me it is out of warranty and they can set me up with a service call, but I would have to pay. Not gonna do that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.