HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

Question

LN46A550 - Need help diagnosing problem

by Eusix / November 25, 2011 6:07 AM PST

Okay, here's what I'm dealing with:

I have a Samsung LN46A550 lcd tv. The firmware has been updated. My setup includes an Onkyo 7.1 surround sound system (HT-S6100), a blu-ray player (numerous brand-new blu-ray players, actually), and a wii.

There are no problems when playing on the wii or just watching TV. The problem seems to be confined to the blu-ray connection. The screen and sound cut-out/flicker, eventually leading to the screen cutting out to "No signal" (occasionally with a flash of "mode not supported), then the screen will return to the movie, and the audio/video flickering will continue. Lather, rinse, repeat.

We have tried numerous hdmi cables, thinking it might be a bad cable. The problem persists. Samsung support is absolutely NO HELP. They wouldn't even talk to us about the problem because our tv was more than a year old. Instead, they gave us a number to a "local" repair shop (based on our zip code) and we called this repair place and they apparently don't service our area. USELESS.

So if anyone can help me pinpoint this problem further, I would very much appreciate it. We spent alot of money on this TV and aren't in a position to just go out and buy another.

Thanks so much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN46A550 - Need help diagnosing problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN46A550 - Need help diagnosing problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I can't tell from this post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2011 7:04 AM PST

Is this happening with the bluray player connected directly to the HDTV?

Collapse -
Answer
Okay, more info...
by Eusix / November 26, 2011 12:38 AM PST

Sorry, I thought I had written that the blu-ray players are not the problem. Guess I had so much to write out that I overlooked that. Last night we decided to hook up the blu-ray player to the TV using the red, yellow, & white A/V cables, bypassing the HDMI. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. So I think we've narrowed it down to the HDMI inputs on the TV.

Any idea how to get these fixed or how we can proceed (without dragging the TV to a repair shop)?

Collapse -
Why I asked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: Okay, more info...

With the Onkyo in the post one usually connects the player to the onkyo to the HDTV. I read the post twice and couldn't tell.

There is also an issue here when the TV is from France and the player is from USA. One discussion went on for a very long time till they revealed the countries they picked up the gear in.

Finally we have the FIRMWARE version to check. Is the HDTV firmware version current? (same for the player.)
Bob

Collapse -
Response
by Eusix / November 26, 2011 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: Why I asked.

Well, all of our components were purchased in the USA (as for where they were manufactured, I have no idea). All of the firmware on all of the components has been updated. Considering we aren't having any problems with the wii, the TV (as a stand-alone), or the blu-ray when using the RCA cables, everything points to the HDMI inputs (or the card).

Any thoughts?

Collapse -
So this is the only HDMI source?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: Response

If so, then you make the call for service.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.