Samsung forum

General discussion

LN40B650 blank screen problem

by pendulumm / June 21, 2009 4:00 PM PDT

I bought an LN40B650 a few days ago and got it to work with my Comcast HD cable box. HD programs show excellent picture quality. Now I have a blank screen problem where, upon setting the source to the HDMI/DVI input port to watch cable, I get video for 1 or 2 seconds, then it goes blank (i.e., screen is black). Audio comes out fine. My dvd player works fine, so does playing blu-ray movies on my PS3 which connects to one of the three HDMI ports. Self-test works fine, and cables are firmly attached.

Since I've had the TV for only two days I can't be sure, but the problem started after I watched a blu-ray movie on the PS3. Unlike some comments I have seen on the web that indicate problems with A650 and PS3 where the PS3 doesn't play correctly, I have the opposite problem where the cable input on the HDMI/DVI port works correctly for 1 or 2 seconds (screen info indicates 720x480 60Hz) then gives a blank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN40B650 blank screen problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN40B650 blank screen problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LN40B650 blank screen problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2009 6:12 PM PDT

pendulumm,

Audio with no picture usually indicates that the cable box is having an issue with the HDCP (Copy Protection) signal, and the boxes themselves are set to be sensitive to that. Most users swap out the cable box and the issue goes away. If not, then it's a servicable issue where the television isn't communicating with the cable box correctly, but changing the cable box may fix the issue.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Re: LN40B650 blank screen problem
by pendulumm / June 21, 2009 10:57 PM PDT

Thank you for the response. I tried plugging the HDMI cable (from the Motorola cable box) into one of the three HDMI ports (not the HDMI1/DVI port) and I've gotten the video back.

The fix seems to be a hack since it is recommended/specified that the HDMI cable be plugged into the HDMI1/DVI port and the video worked on this port earlier. Note that the audio source from the cable box is from separate AV cables (white and red) since the cable box does not have an HDMI output port (only DVI).

Should I still go ahead with the recommended cable box swap or is the above "hack" a viable solution?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 22, 2009 3:49 PM PDT

pendulumm,

You can use any of the HDMI ports - any of them should do the trick.

It's up to you. If you're concerned that HDMI-1 isn't working properly with that specific box, I would change out the box and see if that fixes the issue. Likewise, check with another HDMI device to see if HDMI-1 works (and it probably will). But if not, I'd recommend getting it repaired. You don't want to discover that HDMI-1 isn't working properly after the warranty expires.

Just a suggestion.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by pendulumm / June 23, 2009 1:13 AM PDT

Thank you for the informative comments.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 24, 2009 5:13 PM PDT

pendulumm,

Happy to help. Let us know if we can help further.

--HDTech

Collapse -
This was sent in response to my email ... it is not relevant
by mauricemp3 / June 25, 2009 1:46 AM PDT

I own a 4665 and picture goes out periodically. Changing hDMI slots, cables, or even providers doesn't help. Others have had this problem also applies to 4661.

Maybe a class action would get someone's attention

Collapse -
Also having blank screen problem with LN40B650
by katfsh / August 9, 2009 11:04 AM PDT

I have had a LN40B650 since about mid-April. I was running standard definition satellite on it until the last week of July when cable finally arrived. I have had a Comcast digital box hooked to the hdmi/dvi port since that time. About 4 days ago the picture started "going blank" every few minutes. It either goes to black (no sound) or goes to fuzz, purple picture -- in both cases the condition lasts about 1-3 seconds and then returns to the expected picture. The problem appears to happen no matter which hdmi input port I use. It does not happen for my dvd player, wii, or the cable box when used with component video inputs -- it appears to only happen when using hdmi output/input.

At the moment I don't have any other hdmi sources to attach to the TV to check if the TV or the cable box is causing the problem. From the information in this thread, it sound like my first action might be to try and convince the cable company to swap out the cable box? Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanx,
Kurt

Collapse -
Also having blank screen problem with LN40B650
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 9, 2009 2:04 PM PDT

katfsh,

Two easy troubleshooting ideas to try first come to mind:

1. Make sure that the setup menu of the box itself is set to HDMI out. Some boxes will self detect, but when possible, set an HDMI-out setting in the box as the ONLY output.

2. Call the cable company to see if they can patch, update or reset the box by remote.

Also, are you using HDMI v.1.3 cables? If not, try swapping them for HDMI v.1.3.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Problem resolved
by katfsh / August 11, 2009 10:46 AM PDT

HDTech,

Thank you for the suggestions. In my case, the solution was to call Comcast. They reset the digital cable box remotely -- and now everything works as expected. The box was already connected with an HDMI V1.3 cable -- and the box was set for HDMI output.

From reading some Comcast forums it may be that the problem will reappear periodically (at least that seems to have happened to others) -- but Comcast said to call back if it does and they would likely try swapping out the digital box.

The LN40B650 is my first HDTV -- and I really like it!

Thanks again for your comments.

katfsh

Collapse -
Problem resolved
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 13, 2009 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem resolved

katfsh,

Good news! I'm glad to hear that you're back up and running. I appreciate the update and your kind words.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?