Samsung forum

General discussion

LN37A550 - problem at startup

by patruns / March 16, 2009 4:10 AM PDT

I posted this in another thread, then I got to thinking maybe I shouldn't piggyback onto to another for a different TV.

Was having an intermittent problem with no picture when turning on the TV. Updated the firmware to latest thinking it might help. Now, I turn on the TV and I sometimes get a fuzzy bright green screen and very loud static. (This did not happen immediately after the firmware update.) Remote seems somewhat unresponsive. I'll hit the power switch and nothing will happen immediately. Then it might either go off or "fully" come on with a picture. I have tried turning the TV on before and after the cable box was turned on. Since I do not get the "no signal" message when the cable box is off I think I have effectively isolated the problem to the TV. I work all week, so do not have the time to be waiting for a repairman or to be taking it somewhere. Plus, it is my only TV. Anyone else getting that green screen?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN37A550 - problem at startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN37A550 - problem at startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LN37A550 - problem at startup
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 16, 2009 4:50 AM PDT

patruns,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what's happening here exactly, but the symptoms you describe definitely point to operation that I wouldn't consider normal operation. The best recommendation I can make is to have a service call - often times they can come to you, and you may be able to arrange a weekend or a time that might work for you. I understand you probably have a busy schedule, however, I do think getting your unit serviced would be the best solution.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
startup
by patruns / March 16, 2009 5:36 AM PDT

Thanks. I originally sent an e-mail to Samsung customer support and they responded with a phone number to call. Guess i will have to bite the bullet and do it. I was hoping this might be enough of a problem that it could possibly be solved with a firmware update. I will call.

Collapse -
in for repair
by patruns / March 21, 2009 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: startup

Now patiently waiting as the TV sits in the shop......

Collapse -
returned
by patruns / March 31, 2009 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: startup

Well, the TV is back after a mainboard replacement. So far so good. Since it is less than 6 months old and my faith is a little shaken after this and reading of similar issues with other owners, I really wish Samsung would extend the warranty to a year from the repair. (That's about a 6 month extension for me.) While I would expect most solid state products to either develop a problem immediately or never at all, this one crept up over time and i am a little worried it might happen again right after the warranty runs out............

Collapse -
returned
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 2, 2009 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: returned

patruns,

Thanks for your post.

I understand your concerns. Any kind of warranty extention would have to go through our Executive Consumer Relations Department (you can get there through 800-SAMSUNG). You might try to negotiate if you think it's fair, but typically warranties aren't extended as a result of a repair.

It's up to you, but it's between you ad service.

You can extend your warranty an additional 3 months if you register your television online, and that's free, so I'd encourage you to do that as well.

--HDTech

Collapse -
warranty
by patruns / April 2, 2009 11:23 PM PDT

I registered my TV online in November when I bought it. Does that mean I already have a 15 month warranty?

Collapse -
warranty
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 3, 2009 5:59 PM PDT
In reply to: warranty

patruns,

Yes, it would have been applied automatically. If you have a question or would like to verify that it was applied, you can call 800-SAMSUNG with your model/serial handy, and they can confirm that.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same problem - LN37A550 screen is going Black but have sound
by ronenj / September 15, 2009 10:42 AM PDT

Hello,
I had the same problem with my LN37A550 purchased on October 2008: all of a sudden the screen will go black but sound still clear.
Based on others experience found in this and other similar forums, I switched the cable from HDMI-2 to HDMI-1, and the problem was "solved". I switched it back to HDMI-2 3 month ago, and the problem did NOT come back!

Not sure what to do next?
I registered my TV online per your recommendation, but didn't get the additional 3 month warranty. Are you sure about this?

Thanks,
RJ

Collapse -
Thank you Samsung for your support
by patruns / November 19, 2009 4:38 AM PST

The silence here is deafening .......

Collapse -
Is the problem returning after 6 months?
by patruns / October 19, 2009 3:14 AM PDT

Watching the Jets game last night when all of a sudden screen went black, but sound stayed on. Thinking maybe it was the station I switched channels but all were the same. Turned off the TV (but not the cable box), then back on and problem went away. I am wondering if the picture problem is returning. Has anyone who had the main board replaced had the problem return again after 1/2 a year? Since it only happened once so far I am a little reluctant to contact Samsung and open up a ticket again.

Collapse -
keeping it alive
by patruns / November 30, 2009 2:48 AM PST

Just tracking responses..........

Collapse -
Bad Capacitors is the issue!
by autgbm / April 9, 2015 9:21 PM PDT

I have a Samsung LCD TV LN37A550P3F with the same problem and come on HD Tech Person you know what's wrong, its the wrong size capacitors you put in the TV's and you should fix at no cost to the consumer. Its an easy fix and probably just 2 capacitors need to be replaced at a cost of less than $4.00. I did mine myself in less than 15 minutes but you do need to know how to sodder and take apart / put back together a TV. This is definitely a design issue that sits solely on Samsung!

I also put in a higher volt capacitor (25v) per Samsung TV repair recommendation.

Gary

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!