Samsung forum

General discussion

ln32c450e1d connecting to a macbook

by bobbyjacksons / September 11, 2010 7:54 AM PDT

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Samsung ln32c450e1d LCD. I would like to connect the TV to my macbook (2009 model). I am using a hdmi connection However, this macbook, being an older model, does not transfer sound over the hdmi cable. I also have an audio cable that plugs into my mac's headphone jack and splits into red and white ends that go into the TV. The problem is that while I can mirror display using the TV, I still can't get any sound.

The connections are as follows:

macbook -> minidisplayport -> hdmi cable -> hdmi in slot 1 (dvi)->tv

macbook -> audio jack -> audio cable -> AV in slot 1 -> tv

I know that my video and audio inputs are in different slots, is there a way to select audio input source and video input source separately on the TV?

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ln32c450e1d connecting to a macbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ln32c450e1d connecting to a macbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 13, 2010 6:15 AM PDT

bobbyjacksons,

I believe there is a way that this can work.

What you'll want to do is send your audio through the HDMI cable to the HDMI-1 input. Then you'll want to set your computer up so that the audio goes through the headphone jack of the computer. Test this first to make sure that your audio IS going through the input.

Then, connect your computer via HDMI-1 to your computer.
Connect the audio cable (3.5mm male to 3.5mm male) from your computer's headphone jack to the Audio In port to the left of the HDMI-1 slot.

Then, you'll want to Edit the name of your input from "----" to either "PC", "DVI PC" or "DVI Devices", and instructions on that are found on the bottom of Page 10 of the owners manual.

So technically, what you'll be doing is porting your video in as normal, and the TV will accept that input, provided it's a support resolution. The audio will be ported through the analog port from the headphone jack of your computer to the Audio IN associated with the HDMI-1 port. By changing the name of the input, you're telling the TV to enable that audio port so it can receive audio. (By default, it would look for the audio in the HDMI signal). So by changing the name of your HDMI-1 input (To HDMI-1 "PC or "HDMI-1 DVI PC", etc), you're telling the television to enable that audio port.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by bobbyjacksons / September 13, 2010 8:00 AM PDT

Thank you for the reply.

My apologies for being unclear in my last post. The audio cable that I have is actually similar to the one shown in the picture linked below:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JGQR4TJML.jpg

I believe that this is actually supposed to go with a red/white/yellow AV video cable. So what I have is actually the audio cable for the AV. Am I still able to use this audio cable along with the hdmi video port? It seems that the audio port to the left of the 'hdmi 1' port on the TV takes a different kind of cable. Do I have to purchase another audio cable? if so could you link me to a product page of this cable online?

Collapse -
Clarifications on previous post
by bobbyjacksons / September 13, 2010 8:10 AM PDT

Sorry for the double post, I'm not sure how to edit on this forum. After a bit of searching for the correct terminologies, I believe that the audio cable that I have is actually a mini plug to RCA cable.

To summarize: I'd like to connect my macbook's audio and video to the tv.

The video is working as such:

macbook -->minidisplayport to hdmi --> hdmi cable ->tv

The audio mini plug to RCA cable is meant to hook into audio slots corresponding to AV inputs and it seems that I am unable to use them simultaneously with the hdmi. Is there a way to configure the TV so that it selects audio and video sources independently? If not, what kind of audio cable do I need to connect my macbook's audio to the 'pc/audio in' port to the left of the 'hdmi 1' port on the back of the TV?

Thanks

Collapse -
Clarifications on previous post
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 13, 2010 11:19 AM PDT

bobbyjacksons,

Your HDMI connection to the TV is working, so we just have to concentrate on audio.

Here's a diagram. Instead of the RCA (The TV'S RCA connection is output only), use a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male connection:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/pc3.jpg

It's like one wire that has headphone jack sized connections on both sides.

Then switch your audio input as described above by editing the name of HDMI-1 to "PC" or "DVI PC" or "DVI Device" (on Pg. 10 of the manual).

HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI (which has no audio), so we're going to make the TV think that there's no audio coming in the HDMI port and there isn't. Therefore, editing the name of the input will enable the audio input to the direct left of the HDMI-1 port. If you're playing some music while hooking it up, you'll hear that music when you edit the name of the input.

The cable you'll want will look like this:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/3point5to3point5mm.jpg

Does that help?

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
resolved
by bobbyjacksons / September 14, 2010 9:41 AM PDT

Hi,

I have managed to set up the video as well as the audio. I purchased the 3.5mm cable and was able to get the TV to work without changing the name of the hdmi1 port.

Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
resolved
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 14, 2010 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: resolved

bobbyjacksons,

Great news! Thanks for following up!

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.