Samsung forum

General discussion

LN-S2641D HDTV not connecting to VAIO laptop via D-sub 15

by bsik72 / January 13, 2009 6:19 PM PST

I have tried several suggestions from the web with no results. The PC input selection on my TV remains gray no matter what I do. I am very inexperienced in this department.

My computer is a VGN-FS742/W running on Windows XP SP3 Home Edition. The video adapter is a Mobile Intel 915GM.

I read around and it seems to be a common situation for Samsung TVs. I pretty much followed the advice I've come across:
Updated my bios. I even bought two more cords because I read that some cords won't work.

I'm not too savvy with the technical settings so if you could guide me Barney style, I don't mind.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN-S2641D HDTV not connecting to VAIO laptop via D-sub 15
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN-S2641D HDTV not connecting to VAIO laptop via D-sub 15
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2009 5:05 AM PST

Bsilk72,

Outside of BIOS updates and making sure your resolution is good, the only other suggestion I can make is to reduce the overscanning (0%) or adjust the output settings to see if it will take.

--HDTech

Collapse -
re
by bsik72 / January 15, 2009 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: Sony....

Thank you for the reply. What is a good resolution? I know that it's set to be really low on my desktop properties. Is it supposed to be higher? I wanna try this overscanning (0%) procedure and output settings you're talking about. Can you describe it?

If I am persistant enough, I will get it to work, right? I had wondered if my TV lacks the function due to a bug or poor manufacturing. Plus in most of the posts I saw concerning similar issues with Samsung TV's I never saw a follow up from the TC concerning a successful PC interface.

Anyway, I do appreciate the help and any further assistance!

Collapse -
Resolutions...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2009 5:07 PM PST
In reply to: re

The resolutions that the television will accept are in the manual. If you don't have it handy, I can scan it and post it here. I'd definitely start at a resolution the television manual says it will accept. That is a definite reason why you might not see a picture.

As far as the settings, the laptop manufacturer (Sony) has software that I'm just not familiar with. If you have a Sony Store or a tech support number, you might try to see if they can walk you through this process. You might also check the FAQ's on the website for this specific problem.

I regret that I'm just not familiar enough with the various driver softwares for various video cards out there to be able to walk you through the process.

Try the resolution changes and let me know.

--HDTech

Collapse -
almost
by bsik72 / January 17, 2009 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: Resolutions...

Thank you again. I feel like I'm getting so close! Now I know that my computer has recognized my TV; the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver has designated the monitor's serial number as SAM01ff which is indeed a Samsung. It also shows the supported resolutions and I raised it accordingly to the highest it allowed which is 32 bit 1028 x 768 @ 60 hz. The TV still doesn't allow me to access the PC INPUT. I'm still messing around with it, but I wonder what I missed.

Collapse -
Support?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2009 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: almost

Have you been able to get any answers from Vaio regarding some of the driver settings? I'm certain that they'll know that software far better than me, and maybe the tech might have some "silver bullet" of wisdom to offer you to get this up and running.

I'd definitely recommend that if the computer is recognizing the television. Now we just have to tune that signal so it sends a signal that the television can recognize.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
No dice
by bsik72 / January 21, 2009 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: Support?

I connected with Sony tech support chat and the technician walked me through the steps which I already had gone through previously. I think I've reach my limit.

Is there a chance of success if I connect via Dsub to HDMI? I see an RCA Audio input that's labeled DVI IN. Also a one of those mini stereo/head phone jacks which is labeled Service 1-- another port that I am unfamiliar with is labeled Service 2. What do suggest I connect for audio?

Also would I be able to get better picture connecting this way?

Once again I can't express enough how much I appreciate all this.

Collapse -
Dsib
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 22, 2009 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: No dice

D-Sub is an analog out. The HDMI and DVI are digital, so there's not much in the way of bringing those two together.

So we've checked/updated the BIOS
You've checked with Sony regarding the settings
You've tried a different cable...

I'm at a loss. There's got to be something where we can at least isolate what is happening. Either the TV is receiving nothing, or the computer is sending/not-sending an approved/non-approved signal.

I'm going to give one last suggestion because I know you're frustrated with this. Why not go to an electronics store and have one of the salesguys help you hook your computer up to the store's television - the same model you have - with one of their cables? If you can get it working on the store's television, buy the cable and take it home, and then you'll know that it's not (or is) the television.

Keep me posted, and I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Oh!
by bsik72 / January 24, 2009 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: Dsib

I'm glad I asked about that! I was going to buy a vga to hdmi cable on eBay. I hadn't thought about taking it to a store. I always had in mind that the cable might be the problem but my computer had no problem reading the monitor so it had me believe that the cable was fine. The TV is the one that's showing no heartbeat throughout this procedure. Perhaps this will all be cured with a better quality cable. I'll give it a shot.

And don't be sorry. You've done more than enough. I'm gonna recommend this site to all my friends.

Collapse -
Let me know..
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 24, 2009 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: Oh!

There seem to be a lot of people with some models of laptops that don't seem to work in this application.

So if you do find a solution, please let me know. This is the kind of information sharing that benefits everyone.

Thanks for the kind words. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
... solution... sort of...
by bsik72 / February 5, 2009 1:20 PM PST
In reply to: Let me know..

Well I couldn't take my laptop to the store because I have a battery that doesn't hold a charge and a broken power button which only I can manage to operate... most of the time. Anyway I did buy a costly VGA cable from Best Buy and tried it out. Unfortunately it didn't work and I took the cord back for a refund. A worker suggested that maybe the port just doesn't work.

I finally gave up and found a slightly larger/newer TV (Sony) on Craig's List and sold my Samsung. My solution was pretty drastic but it did solve the problem Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!