PC Applications forum

General discussion

LiveUpDate Warning After File Shredder

by cbmar / September 10, 2008 3:49 AM PDT

After reading cnet's review on File Shredder,I downloaded it(fileshredder.org) and used it to shred free disk space. I now, at each startup, keep getting the following message:
?Life Update Warning!
There is not enough disk space to install all available updates?

This message is in error because I have over 400 GB of free space. Does this have something to do with File Shredder replacing all free space with some other value? I have used Windows Disk Cleanup, Unrun CClean to uninstall File Shredder, clean temporary files and to clean the registry. The message persists. How do I correct the message?

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium , 32 bit with SP1.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LiveUpDate Warning After File Shredder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LiveUpDate Warning After File Shredder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

That's not the Microsoft issued error message. -> "There is not enough disk space to install all available updates?

Another typo appears to be -> "Life Update Warning!"

Given the MALWARE running around, I wonder if this machine has been smitten.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to Odd (message)
by cbmar / September 13, 2008 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd.

I had Norton 360 at the time, ran a Complete rather than Quick Scan. I also downloaded both Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and Spybot, then ran both of those. I had previously run CClean and Window's Disk Cleanup. The message still pops up on the tray after every start. My original post is restated below:

"After reading cnet's review on File Shredder,I downloaded it(fileshredder.org) and used it to shred free disk space. I now, at each startup, keep getting the following message:
?LifeUpdate Warning!
There is not enough disk space to install all available updates.Click 'Yes' for help on freeing up disk space.?

This message is in error because I have over 400 GB of free space. Does this have something to do with File Shredder replacing all free space with some other value? I have used Windows Disk Cleanup, run CClean to uninstall File Shredder, to clean temporary files and to clean the registry. The message persists. How do I correct the message?

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium , 32 bit with SP1."

Collapse -
?LifeUpdate Warning!"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2008 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Odd (message)
Collapse -
Final Solution
by cbmar / September 15, 2008 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: ?LifeUpdate Warning!"

I read to remove LiveUpdate and reinstall it. I removed LiveUPdate and the message disappeared but I could not reinstall. I then went online and did a LiveChat with a Norton rep. With some difficulty we removed all of Norton 360 2.0 and reinstalled the whole package. This seems to have worked.
Doing some further research, I found a Symantec KnowledgeBase sheet that states it could be a problem with mulitples of 4 gig memory. I have copied the main points but also give the web address to view the complete file.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/d3c44a1678bd8f45852566aa005902cb/cc4bf751de34167c882565da0078e16a?OpenDocument
Situation:
While running LiveUpdate you see the message, "There is not enough room for the update on the hard drive that has the Windows directory. Make more space available on the hard drive and run LiveUpdate again." The update process then ends.

Solution:
Several situations will cause this error. These include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:
? You have insufficient disk space.
? Your Temp and Tmp variable may be set incorrectly.
? You are running Hurricane 98 on the computer.
? Your local drive has exactly 4 GB, or a multiple of 4 GB, of free space.
4 GB (or a multiple of 4 GB) of free space

This happens when you have exactly 4 GB, or a multiple of 4 GB, of free disk space and is related to the way that available disk space is calculated. If this happens, the easiest solution is to create a temporary folder and copy 40 to 50 MBs of files into that directory. After LiveUpdate runs successfully, you can delete the temporary folder and its contents.

Collapse -
Seems to be one of the cases ...
by Kees Bakker / September 15, 2008 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Final Solution

where the error message is utterly misleading.

I just read an article somewhere (not online) stating that requirements analysts tend to focus on what should be done in normal cases, while programmers spend most time to handle exceptions. That can lead to situations like this.
Could well be true.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?