Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Live video of eagles nest

by JP Bill / April 5, 2009 5:19 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Live video of eagles nest
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Live video of eagles nest
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Watch this video of "Challenger"
by Angeline Booher / April 6, 2009 4:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
There are a couple bald eagles
by JP Bill / April 6, 2009 5:09 AM PDT

about 2 km from my house. They are nesting on top of a power transmission tower.

Collapse -
They've made a comeback even further S
by drpruner / April 6, 2009 5:36 AM PDT

in North America, they say.

Collapse -
So, now we have
by drpruner / April 6, 2009 5:37 AM PDT

"streaming eagles"? Happy

Collapse -
And you have
by JP Bill / April 6, 2009 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: So, now we have
Collapse -
Decades ago I was stationed in the Aleutians
by drpruner / April 6, 2009 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: And you have

where the military and the wildlife folks co-existed. Bald eagles on every power pole. They are impressive flyers. Sorry about the gulls- you would think they would be smarter about winds.

From your link:
When asked why he had done it, he replied, "Well, I don't know eagles are bad birds aren't they?"
Education has helped. We have a similar problem here with rattlers, which are dangerous to people and pets. The trick is to relocate, not kill- especially the mass kills that still happen.

Collapse -
There is a surprisingly large urban population of bald eagle
by Ziks511 / April 10, 2009 8:00 PM PDT

s in Vancouver and its surrounding communities. When I last looked it up a couple of years ago or more it was in the high 30 pairs, and was referred to as the largest urban population anywhere. The Fraser River is a huge spawning conduit for salmon and it runs right through Vancouver, plus there are other more minor watersheds for salmon and other fish as well.
I would assume that Washington State and Oregon are doing reasonably well so long as the watersheds don't get polluted from excess logging on steep slopes (the earth runs down into the rivers and covers the clean gravel spawning grounds eliminating spawning and therefore the population of fish, and therefore the eagles).
Discovery Channel recently ran a series called Ax Men about logging in Oregon or southern Washington state, and they were logging slopes that were very steep and where the soil was being held in place by the tree roots. Should never have happened, in my opinion, however fascinating and admirable the men involved were.

Rob

Collapse -
Those birds
by Willy / April 6, 2009 7:18 AM PDT

If anyone recalls, I had the "bejezzzz" scared out of me when an eagle flew low upon taking off from a tree behind the house. Every now and then the eagle flies around and I'm sure the cat isn't too happy about that! However, driving around there appears to be alot of "red tail hawks" and they're bountiful at least around here. They are seen usually on fence posts or telephoner poles or any pole for that matter. All too often if seen on the ground, they have something getting there attention. They too are a beautiful creature to see and fly about. of course the buzzards are back in Ohio and they have a "roost" smack dab in the middle of town on an old tall tall pine that's been pruned too often for power lines. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Red-tails are among the most common,
by drpruner / April 6, 2009 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Those birds

I believe.

The buzzard is a scavenger of dead things! How dare you mention it in the same post as the Noble Eagle ... a scavenger of dead things. Happy

Collapse -
Makes no difference to me
by Willy / April 7, 2009 12:18 AM PDT

Those buzzards got a job too and they provide natural service that's obviously needed. They soar too and seeing so many makes me wonder just what is dying out there besides road kill. As for the bald eagle, I rarely see him from time to time, so the buzzards provide yet another service, allowing me to see yet another large bird flying about to quell my bird watching envy. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
All those large birds look impressive in the air.
by drpruner / April 7, 2009 10:57 PM PDT

My candidate for Ugliest Bird- since you didn't ask- is the baby condor. Ug-leeee! Saw one at the San Diego Zoo some years ago, where they have a rebuilding program. But the adults are impressive and graceful flyers.

Collapse -
I of course logged on at 8:00 where the video was black, but
by Ziks511 / April 6, 2009 10:00 PM PDT

the sounds of frogs and other wildlife was most pleasantly.

Rob

Collapse -
Wonderful view, despite the bird's back. Teriffic bird song
by Ziks511 / April 9, 2009 12:28 AM PDT

s unfortunately being an Easterner, I don't recognize Western birds when I hear them.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) I meant to say Thanks JP for a great site. Rob
by Ziks511 / April 10, 2009 8:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
I wish I could provide pictures of this
by Steven Haninger / April 9, 2009 12:56 AM PDT

but there's been an effort to restore the population of peregrine falcons in my state and others. These birds will nest on tall city buildings in the spring. Wildlife people will make nesting boxes filled with gravel which seems to be a construction material of choice for these birds. There are several live web cams focused on such boxes. Males and females share the incubation time on the nests. One image I remember quite vividly was one of a winter storm that happened after eggs were laid and a the falcon lying still on the nest with wings apart as if dead. I believe it was 2 or three days this way but most of the eggs did hatch and the bird survived. Amazing survival instincts.....

Collapse -
(NT) THEY'VE HATCHED!!!!!
by JP Bill / April 13, 2009 5:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Three cute little demanding eaglets and Mom or Dad
by Ziks511 / April 16, 2009 11:02 AM PDT

feeding them bits of something. Very cute, very noisy, very demanding. I have this peculiar desire to touch things, castles, pithoi from Classical Greece, tigers in the Zoo, or those wonderful birds both small and large. I've stroked the breast of a Great Horned Owl which was on the fist of his keeper at one of the Conservation areas up here, and I have embraced a greek storage jar (pithos) about 2700 years old at the Kelsey Museum at Ann Arbor (they were reorganizing the display and I was well known and had friends in the department, the secret is thin cotton gloves to prevent skin oils being absorbed by the material you're touching). I even am guilty of owning a 3200 year old horse shaped bronze pin from Luristan which is in northern Iraq, and various signed books.

What a great chance to watch the kiddies grow up.

Rob

Collapse -
They're coming along nicely........
by JP Bill / June 6, 2009 12:15 AM PDT

...a few weeks ago I thought one of them looked a lot smaller and might not make it.

They can "prepare" their own food now as long as big bird brings the food to the nest.

They 'squirted" on the webcam Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?