Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

live one care vs AT&T yahoo online protection

by ianguiffrida / March 15, 2008 12:17 AM PDT

the debate is whether to use the AT&T protection suite or to uninstall it and use the windows live one care. i only know enough to know you cannot have both. the AT&T comes for free with the dsl service at home and work. i have the AT&T at home and have no issues SO FAR. at work, and the boss wants the live one at work, however,every time the comp is on you get the "conflict message" and no one is allowed to "fix it". the point here is i can't get a real idea of how well the live one works. both run XP sp2. the real question is- i also have a new laptop w/ vista and and a kid's desktop w/ XP sp2(they both are a blank slate at the moment) and i would like to know which security software to install on each one. same, different,what????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: live one care vs AT&T yahoo online protection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: live one care vs AT&T yahoo online protection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just as a Consideration of Anothers Tale...
by tobeach / March 15, 2008 4:28 PM PDT

My landlady's daughter got Rogers/Yahoo at her home. I had previously spent 40 hours cleaning up the used Win ME she got including installing the full slate of recommended programs common here (Spybot et al..)plus a wired router etc. Was actually working a treat (amazing for ME).

After trying to install the Yahoo suite from CD ISP gave her, she couldn't get it to work at all. Unbeknownst to her, Spybot etc. were preventing the install of adware/toolbars etc from disc!

Embarrassed, she spent hours w/ ISP tech service. Upshot, is they talked her into reformatting machine, discarding the 1 week old router & putting in their disc giving her the Yahoo online security programs!

It worked....for about 2 weeks! Started slowing down, hanging etc. Finally, with machine barely crawling & her ISP mail account so constantly filled with SPAM, she gave up!! Had to get new e-mail account and reformatted machine again which she then gave to her kids to play games on without ever connecting it to the cable/web again!

She has just gone out & bought a Vista premium machine & is about to use install CD.... need I continue?? Not my problem now.

Personally, I'm no fan of "One Care" for my home uses ... but at a business office..choices may be more limited. Good Luck! Now...
back to my cave! LOL! Grin

Collapse -
ouch
by ianguiffrida / March 16, 2008 12:36 AM PDT

i feel both yours PAIN. the ONLY reason i used the sbc was the fact i could eventually get a real person which has in the past taken hours. microsoft live, specifically sky drive, i have spent the whole weekend trying to get my son an account so he has access to all his homework projects which he can access at school and at home. sounds great til just trying to set up constantly says " internet ex cannot display page". i was on the verge of tossing out the front door and pretty much just wanted to know it was not just me! i'm not sure what i am going to do, but i must say i won't recommend the sbc to anyone either. thanks for the feedback, i needed it!
PS i know the hard way NOTHING can be put on a comp with any of the sbc suite, including the norton or whatever that ususally comes with a new comp, that little trick actually took 3 hr, 57 min to fix- i know 'cuz i called on my cell phone- what a nightmare!!

Collapse -
live one care vs AT&T yahoo online protection.
by capalme / March 17, 2008 10:50 AM PDT

Well, live one has additional features that the yahoo online protection doesn't have. Like cleaning up files and backing up, I believe. The yahoo is just av, antispy and firewall. So it you want more that the basic protection, then the live one would be what you would choose. I don't know if it's a multi pc license though, so you might have to get a different copy for each pc you want to install it on. Where as, the yahoo you could install on each pc with no problem as long as each pc would have a different att/yahoo sub account. As a final note. It's interesting the microsoft uses trend micro for their hotmail accounts instead of live one. Makes you wonder.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?