Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Little white boxes with black check marks on desktop icons!

Running Windows XP....unable to open programs with a double click on the icons on my desktop and I don't think these check marks were ever here before? lol The white boxes are located in the lower left hand corner of each icon. I can only open my programs by right click, open. I check the properties and they are not locked or at least there is no check in the box that locks them? I have asked everyone I know and they don't have a clue! Is this a virus or malware problem or a simple fix? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Little white boxes with black check marks on desktop icons!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Little white boxes with black check marks on desktop icons!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Little white boxes with black check marks on desktop ico

In reply to: Little white boxes with black check marks on desktop icons!

There's another discussion about this so be sure to read that one too.

But it appears to be malware or just pilot error.

Your post didn't reveal if you tried System Restore or tools to see what pests are on the machine. An antivirus is unlikely to find this pest.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Little white boxes with black check marks on desktop ico

I did do a system restore and nothing changed. I am running Norton AntiVirus. I recently learned how to detect malware and adware and used Zone Alarm which I ran and then uninstalled because it drove me crazy! I couldn't understand half of what it was telling me! lol Soooo...I then loaded Ad-Aware Personal and it found and quarantined 1626 objects! I was horrified at first and then relieved that my friend told me about it! I am VERY limited financially and cannot afford to buy all these programs that the web ads say I NEED!

Collapse -

OOPS...almost forgot....I read ALL the posts to search for this problem and could not find one. You said there is one and I certainly believe you but could you possibly send this semi-computer illiterate to that article? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Collapse -

The anti-parasite tools are free. Here's the names I use in Google.com and such are free...

Adaware SE, Spybot, Cwshredder and HouseCall.

Look up TWEAKUI and try it's rebuild Icons tool.

The discussion is on the boards here, but it eludes me at the moment.

bob

Collapse -
Here's one of them.

Collapse -
Re: Here's one of them.

In reply to: Here's one of them.

Actually Bob this is a different problem....there are white boxes "AROUND" the icons not as my problem. I had read this and that's how I saw it anyway! But I am on my way to check out those other programs you sent me! THANK YOU! I WILL post a solution if I should find it so others won't have to go through what I am! Happy Blessings!

Collapse -
Re: Here's one of them.

In reply to: Here's one of them.

AHA! I see where someone said that the little boxes meant they were shortcuts but EVERY icon has it and it still doesn't say why I cannot double click. I just loaded spybot and so far they are finding everything I "supposedly" quarantined in Ad-Aware the last few days and then some! I guess so far I will stick with spybot as the better program!!!

Collapse -
No one single solution.

In reply to: Re: Here's one of them.

You may miss an item if you run just Spybot or just Adaware. Post in the Security if you are confused why this is so.

Bob

Collapse -

GRRR! Happy I tried loading TweakUI and it says that it's not a valid Win32 Application?!?!??! Now what?
Happy I hate to be a pain but I still cannot access the programs by double clicking and it's a pain!!! lol

Collapse -
More fixes.

Collapse -
Re: More fixes.

In reply to: More fixes.

Hi AGAIN Bob! Happy Ok I went there and saved it to desktop....not sure if that was to fix the TweakUI problem of installing or the double click problem on the desktop icon but neither fixed! Sad Or do I have to reboot or what? I feel like a dummy like those who read those books only worse because I don't understand THOSE either! Happy

Collapse -
After save to desktop,

In reply to: Re: More fixes.

If it's a registry fix, then a right click open usually offers to make the registry fix. Just downloading these does nothing.

bob

Collapse -
Re: After save to desktop,

In reply to: After save to desktop,

AHA!!! I was just coming back to ask you this! If I right click I then choose MERGE correct? I sure hope so! I have searched everywhere and cannot figure out what is wrong here! If this doesn't do it, I will just have to right click to open everything!!! Maybe someday I'll get rich and can buy all the programs I need to keep this computer running CORRECTLY and take a few COURSES!!! Happy I sure have appreciated your patience and help Bob! Blessings! Tracy

Collapse -
Re: After save to desktop,

In reply to: Re: After save to desktop,

have you tried changing your mouse or using the keyboard mouse keys?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.