General discussion

little help pls

I use AVG free and have for the past few years no issues with 9.o but a few days ago I noticed that my spyware and antivirus stated out of date....tried to update and it gets near the end of downloading then a warning stating "general error" tried to remove and this error comes up:
Local machine: installation failed
Initialization:
Error: Checking of state of the item file sc.dat failed.
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\sc.dat" tried to download a repair kit and it comes up the file name states it is a binary file and would I like to save or cancel..I hit save and nothing happens..tried to use file name through "run" on the computer and it doesn't find the file...tried to open my computer from safe mode and a lon list of file names like through the C: prompt fills the screen and nothing happens...regedit and deleting the registry keys has not worked either any help is appreciated

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: little help pls
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: little help pls
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What I do.

When I see such an error I download the latest Free Avg version. Then I uninstall the current one and then reboot if asked. Then I install the freshly downloaded version. I've lost count how often I've done this.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: little help pls

CNET Forums

Forum Info