Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

little help pls

by bcskins1980 / October 13, 2010 10:04 AM PDT

I use AVG free and have for the past few years no issues with 9.o but a few days ago I noticed that my spyware and antivirus stated out of date....tried to update and it gets near the end of downloading then a warning stating "general error" tried to remove and this error comes up:
Local machine: installation failed
Initialization:
Error: Checking of state of the item file sc.dat failed.
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\sc.dat" tried to download a repair kit and it comes up the file name states it is a binary file and would I like to save or cancel..I hit save and nothing happens..tried to use file name through "run" on the computer and it doesn't find the file...tried to open my computer from safe mode and a lon list of file names like through the C: prompt fills the screen and nothing happens...regedit and deleting the registry keys has not worked either any help is appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: little help pls
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: little help pls
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2010 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: little help pls

When I see such an error I download the latest Free Avg version. Then I uninstall the current one and then reboot if asked. Then I install the freshly downloaded version. I've lost count how often I've done this.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: little help pls
by Ondrej_AVG / October 13, 2010 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: little help pls
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!