Laptops forum

Question

Lite Laptop for Grad School

by ankitvjain / July 22, 2011 3:18 AM PDT

Hi,

I was looking for a good lite laptop for my sister to take to Grad School. She would need to take it to classes everyday. Not looking for a gaming laptop, just basic things (movies/ surfing/ documents) but no harm in having a reasonable graphic card, since i'm sure it improves the speed of running normal apps as well..

No Macs please....

Around 13-14 inches range. Not 15"(Else i was suggesting the awesome XPS),

So what do you think?? Currently leaning on the Toshiba Protege... Any other better options???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lite Laptop for Grad School
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lite Laptop for Grad School
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The new MacBook AIR has arrived.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 3:23 AM PDT

It's video "card" does video play just fine.

Just so we're clear, there is rarely a card in today's laptops for video. Just chips on the mainboard.
Bob

Collapse -
No Macs
by ankitvjain / July 22, 2011 6:26 PM PDT

Yeah, Thus i clarified in the first post, about no Macs, since i was sure someone would say Mac Air or Probook. Honestly, i find that they are not value for money, and rather with that cash you can get a much better specificated Toshiba or Dell or anyother brand....
Yeah, i know, the "integrated" graphic cards...

Collapse -
While we could discuss value
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: No Macs
Collapse -
Answer
Looking at the Portege also
by Vociferous_Carmichael / August 8, 2011 9:36 AM PDT

I'm looking at the Toshiba too. I'm going to be a senior in undergrad, and I have to complete a thesis next year. I would like a reliable, light weight laptop that would easily run programs like Mathematica. Though my school is Mac-heavy (we even have a little store on campus), but I would like to spend way less and I prefer PC.

The other laptops I was considering was the ASUS-U36jc (though lacks Sandy Bridge) and the Samsung Series 9. Obviously, the Samsung is pricier. Both of these lack optical drives, while the Portege has one. I'll never know when I'll need one. Does the optical drive matter to your sister, or would she be fine with an external one?

What are your qualms about the Toshiba Portege? I am only new to researching it.

Collapse -
Which Portege?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2011 9:39 AM PDT

When reliability comes up I see more Windows failures than laptop failures. And on top of that more folk with lost files over this than anything else.

With great solutions like DROPBOX it seems to be almost too easy to never lose what we don't want to lose.
Bob

Collapse -
Ordered
by ankitvjain / August 8, 2011 11:52 PM PDT

Well, I actually ended up ordering the Portege, obviously customizing it....
About the optical drive, my sister watches movies from dvd's, so she needed one. She earlier had a laptop with an external optical drive (like 10 years ago; when it was always given seperate). She then hated that, so thus she needed it.
Also if you have the budget, i have ordered on what i heard, the SSD. It's low capacity (128GB) but super fast...
If you want any more info, please ask away Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.