General discussion

listening to an m4A file using windows media player?

I'm trying to listen to an m4A file on windows media player. Any help?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: listening to an m4A file using windows media player?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: listening to an m4A file using windows media player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Your light reading.
- Collapse -
sorry, but i don't know what to do

i've read all this and so i understand pretty well what it all means. but i can't figure out what to actually do to play the file. i'm sorry.

- Collapse -
In the first 2 items...

Players were noted. However I didn't see a plugin or codec for WMP. If this is your goal (WMP) then I think you might be out of luck.

Please share a bit more about this file. Where would I get one to try out?

Bob

- Collapse -
m4 file

Oddly enough, one such file came up here at work. It's an Apple-compatible file, if I remember correctly, and we had one producer with a program that would open and play it. We converted it to something more PC oriented.

Bob K
Infinity (oops, CBS Radio)
Baltimore, MD

- Collapse -
aha
- Collapse -
That might be an iTunes file.

Sometimes noted as AAC files, itunes will play it. There is a FORMAT WAR going on here so you may never find a codec to cure this.

Bob

- Collapse -
can I listen an m4A file using windows media player

i have p4 system with windows xp

- Collapse -
No.

If the supplied information didn't let you, then no you can't (today.) Maybe someday it will happen.

Bob

- Collapse -
OK already - I get it (i think)

...so if I'm understanding this correctly. Just because I got an ipod for Christmas, does not mean I should go converting all of my mp3's to m4a's - right? I should keep two sets of my music until we see who wins the war...

- Collapse -
You may want to ask that question.

The topic of this discussion was answered. If you wish to start a new discussion, please do so.

Bob

- Collapse -
yes you can
- Collapse -
what if..

what if it says that the 3ivx D4 4.5.1 is the older version.. my computer already has the new one.. but it still doesnt play the .m4a file in windows media player?

- Collapse -
Some M4A is DRM'd.

DRM material may never play outside it's own player. If this discussion didn't find a fix then you can try uninstalling it all and trying again, but since DRM is here to stay I'd forget about M4A and head back to plain old MP3.

Bob

- Collapse -
VLC

Download VideoLan's VLC Media Player. It can playback a ton of file types on a Windows System. This way you don't need 40 different apps to play the audio files created by different corporate machines.

- Collapse -
Playing m4a audio with VLC

VLC does not play my m4a audio files.

- Collapse -
That could be proper.

Remember that VLC PLAYER should fail on DRM'd files.

- Collapse -
m4A files

I'm trying to add some files in the form of m4A to i-tunes but it will not allow this! Do i have to convert them to mp3 or aac first? Is that even possible? Thanks.

- Collapse -
M4A files

If you are trying to play a DRM file (i.e. a file encrypted to prevent it being copied), but you "forgot" to mention in your original post that it's a DRM file, then you're out of luck.

Unlike Windows 98SE, there is no way to play a DRM file in Windows ME, which uses WDM audio (Windows Driver Model) instead of the older, hackable system used by Win98.

If it's NOT a DRM file, then it should play in Winamp 5 (any version from 5.0 to 5.13), available from http://www.oldversion.com/Winamp.html

Alternatively, try renaming the file extension from .M4A to .MP4 since many players will recognise an mp4 audio (m4a) file in the more widely supported mp4 format; mp4 is really a video format, and an m4a file is merely an mp4 file that's just encoded as audio-only.

- Collapse -
Convert M4a files for use with Windows Media Player

I resolved this problem for PC. The file was generated on an apple and I only have a PC. I used YouTube Downloader to convert it into MP3. YouTube Downloader is free to download and very handy for converting Audio and Video files into other formats. Hope that helpsHappy

CNET Forums

Forum Info