The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

List of features that should be in iPhone 4.0 OS

by hosko / July 26, 2009 2:59 AM PDT

List your features you want to see.

* iChat (why the H wasn't it included in 1.0??) Dam AT&T must have screwed it for everyone. But makes no sense now that skype is available on iPhone. It would need an additional camera mounted next to the light sensor on the front for video conference.

* The cloud should know what podcasts you have subscribed to and any time a new one is available it pushes the link to the iPhone to initiate the download. No syncing with a computer should be needed. This brings me to my next point.

* Wifi syncing with the host computer. If they upgraded the WIFI antenna to N then you shouldn't need to plug your iPhone into your computer ever it should just sync over wifi.

* When the phone is placed on charge there should be a setting to automatically download any free updates to any applications. If its on the dock that should be the cue that I'm not going to be using it update/sync away.

* In mail a combined in box for all the accounts you have installed, they have it in mail on OSX. I shouldn't have to manually check two different in-boxes.

They are the main ones off the top of my head. I love it but it could be better.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: List of features that should be in iPhone 4.0 OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: List of features that should be in iPhone 4.0 OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
List of features that should be in iPhone 4.0 OS
by wizkids32 / July 26, 2009 8:49 AM PDT

Flash support PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
As long as...
by Nicholas Buenk / July 27, 2009 1:48 PM PDT

It's just for video. Wink I don't need flash adverts wasting my battery life.

Collapse -
Ahh
by Nicholas Buenk / July 27, 2009 1:57 PM PDT

You can already get IM apps with push. But if Apple included iChat they would be able to run it in the background. Just like Safari, Mail and iPod do. Which brings me to my main request.

Background apps and multitasking.

I want iTunes to sync your podcast subscriptions to the phone so you can more easily download and find podcasts on the phone. But I don't see how doing without iTunes syncing entirely would be desirable.

I want storage area for generic files, so many apps have to come up with their own file storage feature to get around this silly ommision.

Drop down box on the menu to control 3G, wifi, brightness etc without having to go to settings.

Collapse -
ahhhhhhhhh
by hosko / July 27, 2009 8:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Ahh

"I want iTunes to sync your podcast subscriptions to the phone so you can more easily download and find podcasts on the phone. But I don't see how doing without iTunes syncing entirely would be desirable."

When I go to bed a place my iPhone on its dock in my bedroom, when I wake up I grab my phone and head off to work. I shouldn't have to dock my phone with my Mac Book Pro in the morning to make sure I have BOL available for the drive in to work. When you subscribe to a podcast in Itunes there should be a function where the iTunes/Mobile Me server knows what you have subscribed to and it also parses the RSS and checks if a new show is available. If one is it should use its constant connection with the phone to tell it to start downloading. This way your iPhone always has the latest episodes loaded. Obviously this feature should be able to be disabled.

Collapse -
The Zune does wireless synch now
by DangMI / September 7, 2009 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: ahhhhhhhhh

so the technology is out there. Allegedly it can query and update as soon as it comes within range of the host computer, though I can't vouch for whether that really works as advertised. For your scenario that would do the job wouldn't it? I understand this doesn't cover getting the new eps as soon as they come out when you're away from home.

Collapse -
The lack of multitasking is going to hurt the iPhone
by minimalist / September 8, 2009 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh

as people come to expect more and more out of their smartphones. I know all the excuses they give for why they can;t do it (battery life, stability, etc) but its becoming more and more of a problem for me. Using Skype and a text message knocks you off the phone (this is freaking annoying). Or I need to pop over to contacts to cut and paste some info and when I go back to an app I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get where I need to be. To do something that you can do with a simple drag and drop on a Mac takes more strategizing and planning than it should on the iPhone.

Sooner or later apple is going to have to give us multitasking. We all multitask on our computers and therefore we will inevitably want to do it on our phones whether its a new "paradigm" or not. Right now it may not be a huge problem because everyone's still in the honeymoon phase (heck I still wouldn't trade my iPhone for anything else on the market). But sooner or later Apple has got to up their game.

Collapse -
How about multiple signatures???????????
by farrid / September 7, 2009 12:14 PM PDT

i can't believe Apple would let the business community lag by the way side. Everyone in business wants multiple signatures and it has fallen on deaf ears. If they really want to knock Blackberry on their knees they need to step up and implement. Yes their are apps in the store that do this with a pain in the ars. When you get 50 to 100 emails a day, you really don't want to mess with that kind of BS.
Just give it to us Apple!!

Collapse -
List of features in iPhone 4.0 OS
by quasar-atl / September 8, 2009 2:12 AM PDT

This is a no-brainer for me:

1. Multiple Exchange Accounts
Never understood why Apple thinks that business users would have just one exchange account

2. Call Blocking - I hate telemarketers or robo-calls

3. Tighter Security
a. App Locking - Ability to lock any app useless password is entered
b. Longer Login Password - I can remember more than 4 chars and it would meet DOD standards.
c. Call Encryption - For those that need encrypted phone calls, an app to connect to encrypted wireless phone networks.
d. Password Vaulting for Apps - A section in the iPhone OS that stores all passwords for apps in encrypted form. You login and simply update the passwords for all of your apps in one place instead of having to do app to app method.
e. GPS Locking of iPhone - When enabled, iPhone will not work if moved out of a specific GPS location. - Disable by entering password to unlock the iPhone.

4. iPhone to iPhone Calling
Hey, I have friends that have iPhones. Would be neat to contact them directly on their iPhone like a walkie-talkie

5. Battery Saver App
This one gets me, how come there is not an app that enables all the battery saving techniques at once. You can turn it on and off when needed.

6. More Accessories Software Modules for the iPhone:
a. Sit your iPhone in a cradle with camera, use your iphone for video chatting and conferencing
b. Sit you iPhone near bluetooth keyboard, use the keyboard for lengthy note taking on the iPhone for meetings and lectures.
c. Sit your iPhone in a cradle with HDMI output and watch purchased movies and programs from iPhone in a hotel or friends home.
d. etc, etc, etc,

7. Multiple Address Routing with GPS - This feature is in very advance GPS devices. You put in multiple addresses and the GPS routes from one address to another in the most efficient route and path. This can be done on the iPhone.

8. VOIP over Satellite - (Additional Chip Needed) Ability to communicate during emergencies over satellite using VOIP.

That is my short lists.

Later People.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!