Mac OS forum

Resolved Question

Lion doesn't recognize my NAS server. No public link Dropbox

by Vrijbuiter--2008 / July 27, 2011 9:52 PM PDT

Since Lion I cannot see my BlackArmor NAS 110 from Seagate anymore. I get a force close. In Window 7 it is still accessible. I bought this Seagate NAS just a month ago.
With Mac OS 10.7 also the possibility of 'copy public link' has gone in Dropbox. In 10.6 (and Window 7) it is still there. Is there a fix for the NAS of Seagate and the 'copy public link' in dropbox??
I suppose (but don't know) that these cases have the same origin.

Vrijbuiter--2008 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lion doesn't recognize my NAS server. No public link Dropbox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lion doesn't recognize my NAS server. No public link Dropbox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
this may shed some light on the NAS problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 3:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by Vrijbuiter--2008 / July 28, 2011 4:22 AM PDT

Thanks for the information. I read these lines this morning and it was of no help (I suppose to be the administrator myself ).

Collapse -
Indeed, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

it does tell you what the problem is and that Seagate is "working" on a solution

Collapse -
Thanks
by Vrijbuiter--2008 / July 28, 2011 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Indeed, but

Sorry, I understand that. I have to wait until they find a solution.
Thanks again.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Vrijbuiter--2008

Collapse -
Seagate should do a lot better!
by pws_dk / August 28, 2011 10:00 PM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> My BA 220 is (also) waiting for Dicovery support in OS Lion Cry
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I'm lucky though! Also have a Synology DS209 - and this little beauty took over Timemachine BU's without any questions asked on July 27th, the very day I did the Lion upgrade.
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Quizz: will my next NAS be a Seagate or a Synology?
Regards Peter/Denmark

Collapse -
still waiting for their update
by Vrijbuiter--2008 / August 29, 2011 3:35 AM PDT

Hi Peter, you are lucky. I am still waiting for their promised update. It should take a few weeks for testing as they said. That was weeks ago!

Collapse -
Yes, finally update. Seagate BlackArmor works with Mac Lion
by Vrijbuiter--2008 / September 15, 2011 8:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Finally!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 15, 2011 10:30 AM PDT

Glad you're back in business

Collapse -
Answer
On the NAS front

On the NAS front, from the sound of it you're using some special software provided by Seagate to access it, and that software doesn't work with 10.7. So, you'll just have to check and see if Seagate has an updated version of said software to fix that issue, and if not, wait until they do. Just because it's a Mac instead of Windows doesn't mean the basic methodology for dealing with these issues is any different.

I don't use dropbox, so can't help you with that one. Probably another case of just needing to wait for the developers to catch up with the new OS that's only been out around a week. This is the price you pay for being an early adopter. Sometimes things don't work, and you have to wait for the necessary support software to be updated. So keep this in mind for the future, and decide whether or not you're willing to chance it just to have that shiny new toy the first day it's released.

Collapse -
Disappointing
by Vrijbuiter--2008 / July 27, 2011 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: On the NAS front

Yes, you are correct. I use the software from Seagate that came with this NAS 110 server. I don't know how to connect to the NAS 110 with my Mac in another way. If I understand you right I have to go back to Snow Leopard and wait ...?... month with the update of Lion?
It is really disappointing if this is the solution.

Collapse -
As for Dropbox
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Disappointing

you are correct, there is no option to Copy Public Link.

Collapse -
Thanks, still not working
by Vrijbuiter--2008 / July 28, 2011 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: As for Dropbox

Thanks for your help. I have downloaded the (beta) installed it and did a reboot.
But still there is no 'Copy Public Link'.
Thanks for your effort.

Collapse -
Worked for me.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 2:27 AM PDT

you did remember to rename the old copy of dropbox to "dropbox_somethng" to allow the new version of dropbox to be installed.

Collapse -
Yes
by Vrijbuiter--2008 / July 28, 2011 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Worked for me.

Great!. My version is also 1.2.16 and missing 'copy public link' I do have 'Open With' .
I choose Firefox (and Chrome) and it works. Thank you very much for solving the Drop Box problem.

Collapse -
Glad to help
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

especially as you pointed out a problem that I did not know I was having.

Collapse -
access NAS 110 without Discovery software from Seagate
by lcw1971 / August 6, 2011 4:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

You can access your NAS from your Mac without the BlackArmor software by finding the IP address of your NAS and entering that directly into your browser URL space. The IP address should be listed under "LAN IP Address" under "System Status" . The BlackArmor software is not very useful or reliable

Collapse -
no use
by Vrijbuiter--2008 / August 7, 2011 12:17 AM PDT

Thanks lcw1971, I indeed can connect to the NAS server by my browser, but I cannot enter my files, I cannot even see them.
Seagate NAS is also seen on my computer (MacBook Pro) but also here I cannot enter my NAS server. The follow message is what I get:

Collapse -
Problem solved!!!
by Vrijbuiter--2008 / September 15, 2011 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: no use
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.