Linux forum

General discussion

Linux on old laptop.

by AndyInTN / April 13, 2006 2:25 AM PDT

I have an old laptop and I would like to turn it into a test web server, something I can use to play around with Nucleus CMS & not have to destroy anything on my actual website.

I have:

Toshiba Satellite 315 CDS
Netgear FA511 PCMCIA Network Card

I have installed RedHat Linux 9 onto the system. To get it installed, I had to use the "linux text noprobe" option. I installed it as a server. Everything works but the network card.

Is there something I can do to fix this without reinstalling? Is there something that I can do during the installation that will make this work?

I realize RH9 is a bit out of date, however the laptop is as well. It only has a 200MHz processor and 32MB RAM.

I'm open to using another distribution. Just need something that I can install and have the card up and running with minimal aggravation Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linux on old laptop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linux on old laptop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried the DSL distro?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2006 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Linux on old laptop.

DSL = Damn Small Linux

Collapse -
Just FYI...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2006 2:43 AM PDT

I have the FA511 card, but not that laptop...

Collapse -
I have tried it.
by AndyInTN / April 13, 2006 3:01 AM PDT

Whenever it gets to this it hangs:

INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
Running Linux Kernel 2.4.26
Processor 0 is Mobile Pentium MMX 199MHz

After that, it just sits there.

Collapse -
DSL
by chuckieu / April 13, 2006 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: I have tried it.

I have an old IBM laptop with similar specs (but 80MB RAM) and you are extremely limited. I have tried a number of distros. Some won't install correctly, some will but won't recognize either my 16-bit ethernet or wireless card. The only distro that recognizes both cards, and works very well is Damn Small Linux. Bob had it right.
A SERVER?. Chuck

Collapse -
Hmm.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2006 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I have tried it.
Collapse -
DSL 0.7.3
by AndyInTN / April 13, 2006 3:59 AM PDT

I downloaded DSL 0.7.3, put it into the laptop, rebooted and it came up just fine. The only problem is that I cannot get access to the Internet. The network card lights are lit up.

During the boot process it seemed to detect the PCMCIA devices that are in the laptop, the Netgear FA511 & a Xircom Credit Card Modem.

Collapse -
Next up. Command line skill.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2006 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: DSL 0.7.3

From memory, the cable must be good to the router and I type...

ifconfig -a

What's the output?

Bob

Collapse -
Ifconfig Output
by AndyInTN / April 13, 2006 7:41 AM PDT

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:5B:BC:CE:C9
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueulen: 100
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Base address:0x4800

lo Link encap:Local loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:100 (100.0 B) TX bytes:100 (100.0 B)

Collapse -
Looks oh so close. Try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2006 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Ifconfig Output
Collapse -
Ok...
by AndyInTN / April 13, 2006 11:31 AM PDT

When I issued the command it said "permission denied" so I tried issuing the command with sudo, I figured it would ask for a password, that I didn't know...like it did for something earlier (can't remember what it was).

BUT, the response I got with command:

sudo ifconfig eth0 up

was:

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy

Collapse -
Read...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2006 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok...
Collapse -
Try Debian !!!
by JBengeII / April 16, 2006 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Linux on old laptop.

Man I'm so proud. It seems better than Mandriva 2005 LE that I bought. I downloaded it for free and it works with ndiswrapper for windows wireless card drivers.Thank's to google searches this distro is staying on my laptop.Debian rules!!!

Collapse -
addin stuff
by JBengeII / April 16, 2006 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Try Debian !!!
Collapse -
Thanks.
by AndyInTN / April 16, 2006 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: addin stuff

I was actually wondering about Debian earlier tonight. I tried doing the network install once before, but didn't have any luck. I will check out that link and try it again, thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.