Samsung forum

General discussion

Linux on new series 7 chronos

by Awakenthedead / April 19, 2013 4:36 PM PDT

I bought a new series 7 chronos the other day and I want to create a 1-2 hundred gig partition to run Linux. I have heard on these machines it will brick the computer though. Is this still an issue or has it been corrected?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linux on new series 7 chronos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linux on new series 7 chronos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not an issue in the view of a Chrome book.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2013 1:38 AM PDT

Chrome books are sold to run Chrome and only Chrome so that's not an issue because they are not sold as if they were a personal computer. So right there your question as to an issue is that there is no issue.

If you want to get a Personal Computer to load an OS, you get that!
Bob

Collapse -
its not a chrome book, its the series 7 chronos.
by Awakenthedead / April 20, 2013 1:51 PM PDT

as the title says, its not a chrome book. it is the series 7 chronos. it is running windows 8 pro right now. i went to this from my mac because i need a computer that can run linux for some of my classes. i have read though that installing or even running linux in a virtual machine will brick this computer. i assume this is an issue that should be fixed and i am wondering if it has been yet or is still pending.

Collapse -
(NT) My mistake. See other reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 12:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, you can brick the computer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 12:46 AM PDT

Sorry for me reading it was Chrome.

I have a few of the new UEFI/EFI machines now and you do have more hurdles to leap and maybe a few hoops to jump through.

I will still maintain there is no issue since the maker is not supporting Linux installs. But that does not mean there is no issue for us to discuss.

-> I don't have this model but on another model I had to enable a Corporate Stable Model (CSM) in the BIOS to enable booting the Linux install CD. I also had to disable "Secure Boot" because with that on, only Windows 8 would load.

I hope you see that modification is not a maker issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Linux on series 7 Chronos
by mfiadeiro / May 16, 2013 2:04 AM PDT

Hi,

Just two cents:

I have a NP700Z5C-S03PT and have tried several Linux distributions with Vmware and VirtualBox without any issue at all.

If you want to run Linux natively it is best to change your BIOS settings, disable the UEFI and activate the standard one. Beware - It forces you to reinstall Windows!

I might add that I tried dual mode and successfuly used Clonezilla to clone the HDD (I bought an 7200 rpm HDD).

By now, Samsung should have released a firmware update...

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.