Linux forum

General discussion

Linux newbie

by penagel / March 4, 2005 8:05 AM PST

I am right now staring at Linux Redhat iso folder which contains i386 folder and in it there are four iso files named "enigma-i386 disc1.iso, enigma-i386 disc2.iso and two others with different names : enigma-SRPMS-disc1.iso and enigma-SRPMS-disc2.iso. Now what I want to do is install RedHat Linux in a computer I have. Which two iso files should I download? There's also a file in same folder named MD5SUM. What is this file? Do I have to download all files listed inside this folder?
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/iso/i386/

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linux newbie
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linux newbie
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not download version 9 instead of 7.2?
by trytohelp / March 4, 2005 2:23 PM PST
In reply to: Linux newbie

From here. Of course support for Red hat is gone. Now Red Hat sells the enterprise edition. Or you can get the open source which is now called Fedora. The md5sum file is a text number. When you click on it you will see a number in your browser window, copy it to notepad and save it, then after you download the iso you use md5summer to check if it got downloaded exactly right and is the same file that it's suppose to be. You can read about it here.

Collapse -
download another version
by Wodan / March 16, 2005 6:21 AM PST

Try downloading directly the iso images, and burning them into cd, If you're newbie try mandrake, or fedora 2

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!