Linux forum

Question

linux mint wireless connection

by tapashc / May 28, 2015 6:06 AM PDT

Hi,

My down loaded linux mint was not working, so I bought a copy of linux mint and installed on a windows machine , It worked after couple of try , now I've problem connection internet, before installation while trying mint , it was connection to internet (wifi) , but after installation
it is not connecting to internet.

I've 2 network available, my mint is able to connect to both the networks, but firefox is showing server not found, not sure linux mint issue or firefox issue.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: linux mint wireless connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: linux mint wireless connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
sounds like WEP or WPA issue
by James Denison / May 28, 2015 6:12 AM PDT

It connects, but can't go further because it's looking for authentication before allowing that. Make sure you have the correct SSID, proper password, passkey, or hex code for the WEP or WPA encryption setup for the wifi (router) you are trying to connect to. Above assumes a "side by side" installation.

If instead this is installed to a virtual system, other steps can be applied.

Collapse -
Answer
md5sum
by James Denison / May 28, 2015 6:14 AM PDT
"My down loaded linux mint was not working,"

Either run the md5sum on the downloaded ISO file and then compare to what it's supposed to be as given by linux mint site, or burn to the DVD, boot to it, and choose the "integrity check" to insure you achieved a successful download without file corruption. When doing integrity check using the DVD, if there's a problem it will say so, if not, will then present the choices again for booting into linux mint.
Collapse -
Answer
Can't tell what's up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2015 6:15 AM PDT

There is some trick to connecting on hotel wifi. Instead of google.com you try cbs.com and it's one of those hotel tips that you learn about.

There are so many details about what it takes to make it work that I can't begin to ask them all. Keep writing what's different about your WiFi hotspot (is it yours) and your gear.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
are you able to update?
by renegade600 / May 28, 2015 6:24 AM PDT

were you able to update your linux mint after installing? if not then it is a system problem not firefox. exactly what computer model are you using and if you are using one what wifi adapter are you using.

Collapse -
Answer
Can you hook up an ethernet cable ?
by itsdigger / May 28, 2015 6:32 AM PDT

Hook it up temporarily with ethernet and get updates and reboot , try to connect to wireless again

Digger

Collapse -
connectin
by tedtks / June 17, 2015 1:57 PM PDT

if you are going to use ethernet, make sure you dont have it set for DSL
delete the DSL profile - took me a week to figure that one out.

Collapse -
Answer
he may not be able to reply
by James Denison / May 28, 2015 6:42 AM PDT
"Attention forum users: There will be a forum outage today (May 28th) from 2PM to 6PM PST in preparation to migrate the Off Topic forums onto our new forums platform. During this outage, the forums will be placed in read only mode--where you can read the forums content as usual, however, posting in the forums will be disabled. We do apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused. Thank you!"

Also, notice no user name other than a non clickable Anonymous. Maybe he can reply as Anonymous again, but he may need to get a user profile. Lots of forum changes going on this week.
Collapse -
Answer
Ping
by theNetnest / June 22, 2015 11:55 AM PDT

The most basic function to establish if there is connectivity is not the browser, its ping.
ping google.com tests to see if you have a DNS response or listing for google.
ping 74.125.28.100 tests to see if you can actually reach that specific google server.
Two different animals.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?