Linux forum

General discussion

Linux Mandrake log me out

by Gakada / February 8, 2004 1:15 AM PST

I'm new to linux world, in the course of learning, I install linux mandrake, when the pc start, it go to a login console .. (where I supposed to type a name and a password to login)

At first I can login using a root + my password (created by me)

But after several shutdown and restart (didn't change any setting etc.)... suddenly I can not login using root + my password... with a message Incorrect Login.

I also unable to go to the webmin (http://ip address:10000) I get a message of 'incorrect login' (although I entered the username and password correctly)

What can I do to get login again or how to reset the username/password..?

Thank you for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linux Mandrake log me out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linux Mandrake log me out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Linux Mandrake log me out
by David Utidjian / February 8, 2004 7:06 AM PST

Boot to single user mode. When the system boots up and you get a "boot:" prompt (or whatever the version of MDK is using these days) type in:

linux single

or just

single

Once your system boots up you will have a very plain console, usually with a prompt that ends with a "#" sign. At that prompt type the word:

passwd

and set your password (you will have to type it twice). Then reboot the machine with the command:

reboot

Once it boots up you should be able to log in as root the usual way.

Now... this IS the most importatnt step... create a regular user account and then log out as root and log back in as that user. Try not to ever log in directly as root except for emergencies.

-DU-...etc...

Collapse -
Re:Re:Linux Mandrake log me out
by Gakada / February 8, 2004 12:14 PM PST

Thank you for the information, I'll try it this afternoon, and I'll let you know any progress I make.

Although I might need information on How do I 'boot to single user'

When I turn on the PC.. it go directly to a login console

Should I type linux single there? Meanwhile I will try that...

I'm sorry that I didn't tell you the Mandrake version I have .. because I'm out of town and forgot the version number... let you know that too, later on.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Linux Mandrake log me out
by chuckieu / February 8, 2004 11:59 PM PST

Although I use Red Hat 9 and Fedora Core, I suspect all Linux distros are the same in this.
When you first install Linux, you set up a Root user password. Speaking for myself, some (most) newbies use this as user account. NOT a good thing to login as root
on a normal basis. After installation, one of the first screens you are shown is one to set up a User account(you
can add others later if necessary). Red Hat looks something like this.
User..............
Full name..............
Password..............
Confirm Password..............
This is the what you login as on an everyday basis. If
you do anything requiring Root, a popup asks for the password. Some distros have a setting in the menu that lets you set auto login if you are the only user.
Hopes this helps. chuck

Collapse -
Still logged out, now how to access the HD to copy the files..
by Gakada / February 17, 2004 12:18 PM PST

Ok, I have tried to login as single user or here what I have done:

The mandrake use a GUI interface...
When the pc start, I get a choices, one of them and the only one get to a prompt windows is 'Linux FailSafe'

On the Prompt (Dos like screen?) windows, it requesting me to type a user name .. (i fill that) then typing 'passwd' then type the password twice.

I have successfully login using those name and password... ON that prompt windows.. but I can't do nothing to continue.

When I restart the PC, it go to the login console, again I type the name and password ... and get 'incorrect login'

My next question is How can I access the HD to retrieve the file inside it? .. (I'm planning to reformat the HD)

Thank You

Collapse -
Re:Still logged out, now how to access the HD to copy the files..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2004 11:11 PM PST
Collapse -
Thank you for the info, but , I have a couple more questions..
by Gakada / February 21, 2004 3:43 PM PST

after 4x24hrs of downloading the Knoppix 3.3 ISO (699mb), I'm ready to create the CD, but,

How do I make a bootable CD?
Where can I get the K3B?

Thank you again

Collapse -
Re:Thank you for the info, but , I have a couple more questions..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2004 8:46 PM PST
Collapse -
[NT] Thank You..
by Gakada / February 22, 2004 1:44 AM PST

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.