HolidayBuyer's Guide

Linux forum

General discussion

Linux Kubuntu, resolution stuck at 1680x1050

by Suros9000 / December 4, 2008 3:41 PM PST

So I recently started using the latest Kubuntu to try to see past windows. Really I find it to be quite amazing but there's certain things such as not being able to change my resolution from the highest setting and my refresh rate being stuck at 50hz rather than the normal 59hz. I've looked over several guides about manually adding values to system files but these guides seem to be out of date or don't apply for some reason or another. Got the latest drivers. (version 177.82)

Using:
-945m Chipset
-Core 2 duo 7600 (2.0Ghz, 2 core)
-4GB Ram
-NVidia Geforce Go 7600 (512MB)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linux Kubuntu, resolution stuck at 1680x1050
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linux Kubuntu, resolution stuck at 1680x1050
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
rebuild x
by white-bread / December 5, 2008 5:53 PM PST

The best way to configure X is to build it from source. Use a net install image and build the system such as:
base -> xorg&alsa&background&synaptic&gui&users -> devices and permissions, tuning.

Collapse -
Well
by pookiedacat / December 5, 2008 7:58 PM PST

Let's go simple to complex. Have you tried running the nvidia-xconfig uitlity from a console or from the diagnostic kernel yet ?

Should this fail, get on you package update manager and try running finding the latest and greatest for nvidia, including the nvidia-ctl suite for your machine, U was stuck at 2048x1800 until I downloaded the latest and greatest from a ubuntu repository. I installed all including the nvidia-ctl gui, ran nvidia-xconfig from command line as sudo and then restared the Xserver, by logging out and logging back in ( I don't think there is a startx command in Ubuntu ). I use two monitors, 1 dell flat screen and a television. Regardless, this solution seemed to work for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.