Linux forum

General discussion

Linux based HDD cloning utility

by trevoristight / June 4, 2006 4:18 AM PDT

I am trying to use a Linux based hard drive cloning freeware utility called Digital Dolly, I am having problems choosing the destintion partition. I don't know the exact syntax all I know is that the C: drive is "dev/hda1" and the D: drive is "dev/hda2" Please help>

I have a Compaq V2000 notebook with the Tourion 64, 1.25 GB of ram, 60 GB of hdd partioned into a 15 and 40GB partitions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linux based HDD cloning utility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linux based HDD cloning utility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Partition info
by Ixthusdan / June 5, 2006 3:48 AM PDT

Linux tracks hardware. hd="hard drive," the letter corresponds to the position on the bus, and the number is the partition on the drive. So, hda1 is the first partition on the Primary Master hard drive. hdb2 would be the second partition on the Primary Slave hard drive. hdc is Secondary Master and hdd is Secondary Slave designations.

You only have one hard drive with 2 partitions, hence hda1 and hda2. What are you trying to do?

Collapse -
the syntax thing
by trevoristight / June 5, 2006 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Partition info

What I am trying to do is I am trying to use a Linux based hard drive cloning freeware utility called Digital Dolly. I am going to re-install everything and clone my hard drive soon afterwards to make it quiker and easier the next time as I like to do a fresh install often throughout the year. Thank you for your reply, now that I got the hda1 and hda2 thing perhaps you can help me with the syntax thing. I believe that I have to start off with a "\" to indicate the root but do I have to name it and end with anything special? I tried: \mnt\dev\hda\filename but that didn't work

Collapse -
Forward slashes!
by Ixthusdan / June 5, 2006 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: the syntax thing

Linux uses forward slashes, rather than back slashes.
/mnt is a directory used to "mount" partitions, folders, file systems, etc. /dev is where the system actually sees hardware. You will only refer to /dev in config files and generally not as commands in a program, but ya' never know! My guess is that you need something like /mnt/partitionnamehere/foldernamehere, as long as you actually have the folders mounted at this partition. Your linux file system does not need to be in /mnt since it is the file tree of the running system. So your other partition would appear in /mnt.

Collapse -
Post the instructions
by Ixthusdan / June 5, 2006 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: the syntax thing

I tried to find a digital dolly howto and had no success. If you post your instructions, I can probably tell you what to type. Are you booting with the digital dolly boot disk?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.