Linux forum

General discussion

LINUX: Are they the next gen OS?

by iminmessaging / September 24, 2013 1:52 AM PDT

Hi everyone!

I know it's been a very debating topic, we are addicted to Microsoft's product Windows. No doubt, we all started learning computer with any of the windows version. But, as we have started exploring the things around us, we now know the crashes we face in windows and the fear of losing our data due to virus attack on windows systems. I would like to welcome you all to comment and know that can Linux become everyone's OS?

Regards

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LINUX: Are they the next gen OS?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LINUX: Are they the next gen OS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since Android sits on top of Linux
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 1:56 AM PDT

It's always interesting to read where folk get all excited about a Linux Phone when it appears it's already here.

And since there have been about 1 billion Android phones sold then you could say it is already everyone's OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Crashes, what crashes?
by wpgwpg / September 24, 2013 2:05 AM PDT

I can't remember the last time I saw a crash of a Windows 7 system, and I don't believe I've ever seen a crash on a Windows 8 system. The only time I ever reboot either one is when I'm installing a new program or software updates. I recently ran 25 days on my Windows 8 system before rebooting for Windows updates. Linux is fine for the academic environment or techies, but I haven't seen it in any commercial or government environments outside of servers. Think about conversion costs for commercial accounts. Personally I use Linux when I need to diagnose a problem, but I'm happy as a pig in slop with Windows 7 & 8. Laugh

Collapse -
Nod. I get crashes in Linux too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Crashes, what crashes?

Usually on the same machine that crashed in Windows. To me it's always a sign there is a hardware issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Not true wpg
by itsdigger / September 24, 2013 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Crashes, what crashes?

Not only is our nuclear fleet powered by Linux , so is most of our military and even the White House as well as most of our and many other country's governing bodies , also a bunch of banks and so forth . Look here at this wiki ->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters ..Digger

Collapse -
Linux
by pgc3 / September 24, 2013 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Not true wpg

Many European manufacturing organizations use Linux, commercial version(s) over Windows, for a myriad of reasons.

Collapse -
Linux fan
by pgc3 / September 24, 2013 2:29 AM PDT

I have personally used Linux in several systems over the years, with few issues, I am definitely a fan and continue to use the OS. I've recommended Linux to others as an alternative to Windows and many to whom I've recommended the OS use it on a regular basis.

Collapse -
Not anytime soon
by 3rdalbum / September 24, 2013 9:41 PM PDT

If you count Android as Linux (I don't, personally) then Linux is practically "everybody's OS".

If you don't count Android as Linux, then Linux is still doing what it's always done: Slowly erode Windows' userbase. Only this time, there are other things eroding Windows too.

I personally believe that you only get viruses on Windows if you're an idiot, or if you don't use your brain before downloading and running a program and what you download is actually a trojan. Crashes? I don't experience many on Windows systems, funnily enough I find Windows practically never hibernates or suspends without crashing. Data loss is usually due to bad hard drives, and of course they will lose data no matter the operating system you use.

I use Linux because it's simply a nicer system to work in. Very trouble-free, easy to use, and has some pretty helpful features. You can put Linux onto any general-purpose computer, which is very handy; it wasn't so long ago that I lost my Windows 7 CD and my partner had to be without Windows for a week. If I lose my CD of the latest Ubuntu, I can just download another one.

Is Linux the OS of the future? Maybe. But it's probably just as likely to be the OS of the present, and something else will come along later. I think we're seeing Ubuntu becoming its own home-grown vertical platform instead of incorporating other traditional pieces of the Linux stack. Possibly Ubuntu will be the successor to the ordinary Linux desktop, eventually. That would make Ubuntu the OS of the future, and Linux the OS of the past.

Collapse -
I like your view but ..
by iminmessaging / September 30, 2013 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Not anytime soon

Hi 3rdalbum,

I welcome your comments. I like your views and do agree with you on some points like you download anything you find on INTERNET or you click various links without thinking that this might make your system prone to viruses and trojans. But have you thought atleast in Linux environment you do not need to worry for this, I do agree that Linux is not fully protected but Linux provides you an opportunity to save your PC from attacks as viruses are executables and Linux do not let them run.

And, yes I must tell you I started using Linux because of Ubuntu. I have tried all the distros but in a nutshell Linux do have the potential to stand out in future.

Thanks

Collapse -
Good feedback
by iminmessaging / September 30, 2013 4:44 AM PDT

I am overwhelmed to see the feedback you all have given. You all have brought up the points that indicate Linux provides a better experience in terms of stability. Let's talk more and see if any other user come up with any other innovative idea.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?