Laptops forum

General discussion

Linux and Windows

I am looking to purchase a laptop that I can easily partition into a linux system and a windows system. I need the linux for my work, but I also would like windows for play. Is there a laptop that would make such double-duty be possible and to work well? I would also like the laptop to be portable, so I can bring it with me wherever I go.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linux and Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linux and Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Linux and Windows

In reply to: Linux and Windows

Collapse -

In reply to: Linux and Windows

If you go to www.x1000forums.com you will see there is an entire Linux section dedicated to the 3 sister notebooks (all same hardware): Compaq X1000, HPZT3000 and HPnx7000 (business).

Ahmandster has even written 2 revisions of Linux just for this notebook and a new release is coming out soon. The forum there will help you to get certain hardware products working that don't initially under Linux: wi-fi, Winbond SD card reader, etc.

The X1000/ZT3000 is a 15.4" widescreen LCD so it is oustanding for some widescreen DVD viewing on the road, widescreen viewing of Excel spreadsheets, etc.

You also can custom order the notebook in WXGA (1200x800 is 1024x768 square screen equivalanet), SXGA or UXGA resolutions.

Also, you can get up to 64mb dedicated video (recommended highly as not upgradeable later), 5400rpm hard drive (50% faster seek times versus 4200), CD-RW/DVD ROM or DVD burner ($200 more), etc. Also you can save $ by custom ordering 256mb RAM or 512RAM 1 stick and then upgrade to a 2nd 512mb RAM stick for under $100 on sale (59.99 after this weekend on sale for Kingston at Fry's Electronics)-PC2700 notebook RAM.

An alternative to this notebook is the Toshiba M35 series with the Trubrite LCD (see M35S456 at Circuit City, etc) or Acer 2025 ----

But the best forum for Linux by far is www.x1000forums.com.

Also, you can get a $100 custom order rebate and a $100 instant discount right now on these models at hpshopping.com

All of these notebooks can be easily carried in a student backpack like a Targus that holds a 15.4" widescreen. The Compaq/HP is 6.5 pounds, the Toshiba is 6.2 pounds (runs a bit hotter and you can feel it around the touchpad area), and the Acer is 6.6 pounds (with 128mb dedicated video option but can't be custom ordered).

Check it out

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Linux and Windows

By the way, HP does have a notebook out preloaded with Linux. These notebooks come with Windows XP or Windows XP professional (from previous post) but as I stated a custom version of Linux is available at X1000forums.com for this notebook (and forum community support).

All of the notebooks I mentioned use the Pentium M Dothan processor -- 3.5 - 4 hours of battery life at least using wi-fi (54G) or longer life up to 5 hours or more not using wi-fi.

Make sure you at least order the Pentium M 715 processor or higher to get the 2mb L2 system cache -- the 705 processor (1.5) is the older Banias line and only has 1mb L2 csche and doesn't save you much (moving from 705 to 725 HP 1.6 Pentium M Dothan is only $50 on HPshopping custom order).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.