Linux forum

General discussion

by nkent60 / June 12, 2005 10:53 AM PDT

I installed Linux over XP Pro now I can't get to my drives that contain windows. What should I do, while installing Linux I didn't see a dual boot prompt, is there one?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linux
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linux
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How can anyone..
by null. / June 13, 2005 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Linux

help with the information provided.

needed info from you
always provide the machine specs (make, model, processor, HD size, FStype...)
what distribution installed (does the new OS work)
options used during installation
how partitioned (installed to same partition as XP = Bad)
any backup available

Help us help you.

Collapse -
RE: Linux
by joe704 / June 22, 2005 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Linux

From the information given, you may have overwritten your Windows partition; or else, the time interval to choose is very short when GRUB displays. Offhand, I can only think of one way to check: Open a terminal, su to root and type fdisk /dev/hda, and when it opens, type p.
You will see your existing partitions. ("hda" presumes a single-drive computer).

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?