Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Linux forum

General discussion

Linspire (aka: Lindows)

by Sovereign Forum moderator / September 14, 2004 6:30 AM PDT

I just bought the live cd and the operating system to test it out and see if it's any good. Has anybody here tried it yet?

PS: Don't tell me to research on google or something :). I'm asking if anybody "here" has tried it yet.

Regards,
Ryan Sechrest

[email this member]
---------------------------------------------------------------------->
"Any technology significantly advanced enough
is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clark
<---------------------------------------------------------------------

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linspire (aka: Lindows)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linspire (aka: Lindows)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Linspire (aka: Lindows)
by Sovereign Forum moderator / September 14, 2004 9:32 AM PDT

So, I just booted up with Linspire and I'm running it right now. My first impression: awesome!

I love that the concept that is "like" Windows but based on Linux technology. The graphics are a lot cooler and it is much faster than my Windows- and this is all from the live cd. I tried a couple programs and the seem to work fine, especially the MP3 player. I also looked around a little and it comes with all the "basic" programs. I'm gonna try out the CNR feature to see how it works. What I also love is that it detected all my cd/dvd drives, printer and everything else without updating the OS, downloading the drivers etc. I booted up and it's a full operationable OS. I'll keep you updated.

Ryan

Collapse -
by fred_beondo / September 14, 2004 2:22 PM PDT

I've checked it out. As an experienced linux user, my choice of OS is based not so much on how "Windows"-like it is, but I do think it may be the way to go for people reluctant to try linux. The criteria most users will use is "can i do what I normally do in MSWindows?". Once people are more realistic about what they really NEED a computer for they might find Lindows (or any other flavor of linux) will do just fine. If not they can stay with MS. Let's face it, you DO have to be somewhat adventurous to try linux. It's kind of like moving to Canada: You can still speak english, but it's in a different environment, one you might really grow to like.

Collapse -
by Sovereign Forum moderator / September 14, 2004 3:29 PM PDT

That's what scared me the most when I first tried Linux... I couldn't understand the akzent Happy because everything is based on different riles and operates differently. I don't think most people realize how powerful Linux can be/is. People are always afraid to try something new. I tried Red Hat 9, Knoppix, Phlak and now Linspire. I'm impressed with all of them because they each have their own style... but are Linux based. It's hard to describe what Linux is... you have to download it, burn a live cd and try it. So far so good :D.

Regards,
Ryan Sechrest

[email this member]
---------------------------------------------------------------------->
"Any technology significantly advanced enough
is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clark
<---------------------------------------------------------------------

Collapse -
by teyster2 / October 8, 2004 10:46 AM PDT

I've used it and it was great, except for one small thing $. Paying to use the CNR anually. I don't think so. If you want a good O/S get Xandros. They have a free open circulation distro. www.xandros.com

Ted

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!