Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys WRT54GS keeps losing connection

by imacken / September 29, 2005 10:40 PM PDT

After a period of time, my WRT54GS router drops my broadband connection. This means I have to power off and on the router to re-establish the connection.
Very annoying.
Any ideas, guys?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys WRT54GS keeps losing connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys WRT54GS keeps losing connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2005 11:11 PM PDT

You have at least one other post and there are other posts about this issue. Making more posts only makes trouble for you to find the former replies.

Did you try the possible solution in the other discussions?

Bob

Collapse -
re
by Alan Copeland / October 7, 2005 10:41 PM PDT

I would contact Linksys again. I had the sam issue with mine, but I regret that I forgot to write down the steps I took to resolve the issue. Upgrading firmware was my first response but you apparantly have done this already. It took 3 calls to Linksys to get this corrected but it was worth it.

Collapse -
Intermittent Connection Issue (not resolved, but reason why)
by RVelle / October 9, 2007 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: re

Yes this is an older Wireless router, and yes I have had this for approx 2 1/2 years now, with the intermittent issue happening over the last 2 years probally (picking up a Wireless N by Christmas to replace finally, but I will never by Linksys again, and heres why)...

Linksys chopped internal memory in half, and continued to chop the memory in half as the revisions were updated...how did this affect the issue, well Linksys never configured the interal buffer/cache to clear or overwrite when full... so when the buffer/cache filled up (IP addresses, errors, etc)...blammo! you just lost you internet connection, unplug (ie Clear the buffer), restart, and good for another 10 min if your lucky....

From past research I did when the issue was happening I found Tons of other posts with people having the same issue, and me personally calling Linksys (Hello India...) to not get a single thing resolved in each 1 1/2+ hour calls I made... Linksys in newer revisions of the WRT54G & WRT54GS intially started out with an ok amount of internal amount of memeory, then as the router revision were updated they started to chop internal memory in half (now lets remind you the above issue STARTED when in v1.0, and only became worse as they chopped memory from the newer revisions of the routers) -- Chart showing what revision and how much memory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

Collapse -
That issue usually shows up FAST when...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 12:31 PM PDT

The owner is running a P2P app.

The usual web surfer wouldn't see it.

Bob

Collapse -
General User
by darrinshack / August 25, 2009 10:50 PM PDT

I beg to differ. I have this router here at the house and do nothing with it other than surf the web and periodically it just loses connection.

Collapse -
Then for you it's simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2009 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: General User

Change the router.

Collapse -
Problem seems to be endemic to Linksys Routers
by JM516 / September 21, 2010 12:49 PM PDT

I have owned a variety of Linksys wired and wireless routers. This is because I tend to get them at the last minute, which typically means Radio Shack. They all fail following approximately the same pattern: The old ones ran OK for a couple of years, then started randomly dropping internet connectivity and DHCP service. Cycling the power brought it back. Then the frequency of failures increased from every few months to every few weeks to every few days. I am now at this stage with my second BEFSR41 which is only a couple months old. After several calls with Linksys 'support', they finally acknowledged that the unit was defective and as a remedy offered me a discount (!) on my next Linksys purchase. The tech hung up on me when I asked what made him think I would ever buy another Linksys product.

I have concluded that the problem is thermal. So I have decreased the drop-outs by setting up a fan to blow on the unit, and even removing the circuit board from the housing and hanging it out in the open !

Any suggestions for reliable brands ? I'm going to have to replace the BEFSR41 soon, and Linksys has taken enough years off my life ...

Collapse -
Try another brand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2010 6:13 AM PDT

While I don't have issues with your make of router some folk do. Try another make.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?