Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

linksys wrt54gs and cable help

by B123456H / April 24, 2008 12:24 PM PDT

I have comcast high speed internet. (area code 37363) running xp pro need internet connectivity over wired and wireless with the linksys wrt54gs router.

Comcast was of no help, linksys will not talk to me, i think the geek squad charges too much, and i need to restore my internet connection by saturday evening. Who here has had success with configuring a linksys wrt54gs router for cable? For the life of me I cannot figure it out. There are too many open variables. Help me please!

Default settings do not work. Neither does turning off dns server. What the *** am i missing?

step by step change lists are fine with me

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: linksys wrt54gs and cable help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: linksys wrt54gs and cable help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your post didn't share the parts involved.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2008 12:44 PM PDT

I can't tell which cable modem you have or if you remembered to power cycle the cable modem after moving the cable from the cable modem to the router.

Sadly I must decline asking for details. Apply yourself and make a good and complete post.
Bob

Collapse -
rats
by B123456H / April 24, 2008 12:55 PM PDT

i didn't realize that is was cable modem specific

but the cable modem is pretty recent, it's the motorola surfboard modem, the model number is sb5100

what else do you need to know?

Collapse -
Try this. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 24, 2008 9:13 PM PDT
In reply to: rats
Collapse -
ip maybe
by B123456H / April 24, 2008 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this. . .

the ip address may or may not the problem, it is the router and the modem either not talking properly, or the router is misconfigured and isn't allowing internet access.

That is why i asked for settings that have been found to work.

the ip/dns address that the modem gave router started with a 69 or 70, i can't remember the rest of the address.

i'm not good with ip address configuration, so help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Got the manual and ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: rats
http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/SB5100/downloads/SB5100_User_Guide.pdf

This cable modem will require power up in the correct order and that you NEVER have the USB connection in play. The ROUTER will work fine with FACTORY DEFAULTS and the ethernet cable that came with the cable modem from the cable modem to the WAN port of the router.

There is NO settings I would need to change on the router.

If this fails then try another router.
Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?